SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

With an architecural rendering of a new building for the College of Business and Public Administration already available on the internet (at JLG architects), this building needs to be matched with a major gift (not sure how much the CoBPA has already raised).

02.jpg

Gamble Hall at far left, Chandler Hall demolished.

Man seein that picture makes me wish i hadn't graduated from the business program yet, what a gorgeous building. With the #8 entrepreneurship program and a very strong accounting program, the CoBPA is building itself to compete with the elites it is appearing!

According to Buning, one option being looked at is working with the Alerus Center.

"We are wondering if it is possible for them to continue to do the things they do on an annual basis and integrate an additional load for practice and competition other than just a football game," he said

If Fieldturf is in the plans for the Alerus, housing soccer there would be pretty neat. I'm not aware of any college soccer programs that have a dome as their home. While a 13,000 seat facility is rather large, hanging a curtain to cover the west stands could be a possability to make it feel more intimate. Hosting a quality 3 day DI soccer tournament with multiple schools could become something that UND is known for. Being able to guarantee northern schools like Michigan, Boston College, Montana, Oregon, etc. games that they knew would not be cancled due to weather could be a draw to get these schools here. And having a dome for women's soccer would be something unique that could be somewhat of a recruiting tool. How many college soccer facilities have 2-30 foot jumbotrons!

And getting more events into the Alerus Center is always a good thing.

That is an interesting possibility, soccer in the Alerus Center.

As for the jumbotrons. I don't know any soccer team that has 2, but the University of Mary plays soccer at the Community Bowl and has one. I would assume that they may be the only DII team to have a jumbotron

That is an interesting possibility, soccer in the Alerus Center.

As for the jumbotrons. I don't know any soccer team that has 2, but the University of Mary plays soccer at the Community Bowl and has one. I would assume that they may be the only DII team to have a jumbotron

They have had turf at the alerus center for the past five years but dont use it because it would cost to much to set up and take down with minimal fan attendance, on a strong day me and five buddies would be there along with maybe a couple other hundred fans, so the alerus is definetely to big, but playin in front of barnes and noble is just rediclous, that is a terrible field for the ladies!

Is Memorial Stadium too small, field-wise, for soccer? I would think that would be a great venue and it is UND owned and controlled.

Weren't they gonna use that land for something else? I heard something about the indoor track facility possibly bein around there. Field wise that isn't to small, but i think it would be a mistake to use any field where the fans are that far away from the field, maybe the practice field behind the memorial stadium, if the trains weren't right behind it.

Is Memorial Stadium too small, field-wise, for soccer? I would think that would be a great venue and it is UND owned and controlled.

You must play NCAA soccer either on natural grass or Field Turf.

Memorial is a carpet like The Al (and the ball never stops rolling on that).

Plus its like playin on damn concrete! It seems like for an on campus field, the barnes and noble area is the only space available. If they could surround the entire field by stands and maintain the field better that would be nice. Then have a jumbotron at one end, and a scoreboard at the other, it would be a great facility right next to the ralph

I forgot that it was carpet. I wonder would the cost would be to put it back to grass? You have a point about being away from the action 'booya.

Man seein that picture makes me wish i hadn't graduated from the business program yet, what a gorgeous building. With the #8 entrepreneurship program and a very strong accounting program, the CoBPA is building itself to compete with the elites it is appearing!

B John Barry and College of Business has a new name??? Guess $25 million. Have they had the news conference yet? He stated he would help with the $500,000,000 endowment and his new vocation in life would be philanthropy. It will not be tied to athletics. That is the only one I can think of.

Re: locations for new athletic facilities

At first glance, UND seems to be running out of room that would be best suited to be used by the athletic department. The soccer field probably should (and will) go to the med school. I think the EERC will make the best use of the land currently occupied by the old Ralph (and maybe even further west to Columbia). I think if Hyslop is remodeled/torn down, the site would probably be better served for academics. The Bronson property sounds like it will be developed with a hotel, retail and residential construction. So where will our new indoor track, baseball field, swimming pool, basketball game facility, etc., etc. go?

How about a piece of land already used by UND "athletics."

I'm guessing that Ray Richards Golf Course will be "taken over," so to speak, when we move to Division I. I'm sure the course makes some money, but probably not much. It isn't a championship course by any stretch, and the golf teams already play most home events at King's Walk anyway. And as great as it is for spectators, the cross country course set up there leaves MUCH to be desired for the runners. I doubt there would be much fuss if the golf course is converted to an "athletics campus."

It would create somewhat of a split between athletic programs location-wise, with hockey and volleyball being at the Ralph/Betty, but I don't really see that as a problem.

Thoughts?

At first glance, UND seems to be running out of room that would be best suited to be used by the athletic department. The soccer field probably should (and will) go to the med school. I think the EERC will make the best use of the land currently occupied by the old Ralph (and maybe even further west to Columbia). I think if Hyslop is remodeled/torn down, the site would probably be better served for academics. The Bronson property sounds like it will be developed with a hotel, retail and residential construction. So where will our new indoor track, baseball field, swimming pool, basketball game facility, etc., etc. go?

I'm guessing that Ray Richards Golf Course will be "taken over," so to speak, when we move to Division I. I'm sure the course makes some money, but probably not much. It isn't a championship course by any stretch, and the golf teams already play most home events at King's Walk anyway. And as great as it is for spectators, the cross country course set up there leaves MUCH to be desired for the runners. I doubt there would be much fuss if the golf course is converted to an "athletics campus."

It would create somewhat of a split between athletic programs location-wise, with hockey and volleyball being at the Ralph/Betty, but I don't really see that as a problem.

Thoughts?

that would be a great area but the big probelm is practicing. There aren't a lot of courses in grand forks, and if Ray Richards is turned into a big complex, where would the team practice at? Kings Walk would be a no because thats a business. What about the land across from the Alerus Center?

that would be a great area but the big probelm is practicing. There aren't a lot of courses in grand forks, and if Ray Richards is turned into a big complex, where would the team practice at? Kings Walk would be a no because thats a business. What about the land across from the Alerus Center?

What kind of practice do you think they do? I'm pretty sure they could practice at King's Walk without much problem. They'd be either at the range (no problem there) on the practice greens (no problem) or on the course, and it isn't like the teams have 50 golfers each. 10 on the women's team and 12 on the men's side. You're talking two or three tee times a day, a couple days a week, if the players are practicing together. A few tee times here and there wouldn't be a big deal...I bet it could be arranged.

So where will our new indoor track, baseball field, swimming pool, basketball game facility, etc., etc. go?

Why do you need a new basketball arena?

I pretty much see the Ralph being home to UND hockey and basketball, with the Betty being the bball practice gym and hosting some women's games and volleyball.

Why do you need a new basketball arena?

I pretty much see the Ralph being home to UND hockey and basketball, with the Betty being the bball practice gym and hosting some women's games and volleyball.

I never said we need a new basketball arena. It was just a "for instance." I agree that future basketball games will probably be housed in the Ralph, but if some alumnus says "hey, I want to build you guys a new basketball game facility with this $20M I've got sitting around," I bet UND would be willing to build one.

My point was that UND could group all new athletic facilities, no matter what their purpose in one location (Ray Richards). I wasn't trying to speculate on what particular facilities UND needs.

Why ruin the golf course? Ray Richards is set up not to make a profit. Any money that it does make goes directly into the general fund of the University.

"Isn't a championship course by any stretch." Just how many 9 hole college owned golf courses in the U.S. are "championship" caliber courses? Ray Richards was donated to be utilized by the students/staff/faculty of U.N.D. and the public ... not Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

"The cross country course set up there leaves MUCH to be desired for the runners." Correct me if I am wrong ... but it is a golf course first ... cross country course second .... right? Or do you think that when they convert it to an "athletics campus" they will bring in the heavy equipment and create a "Cross Country" course with seating mounds for your maybe one meet a year. Remember U.N.D. is going DI ... so cross country meets in Grand Forks are probably going to be few and far between ... if any.

"I doubt there would be much fuss." I hope you are wrong ... though there are a lot of golfers in Grand Forks that probably would agree with you (sadly) ... but after Ray Richards is an "athletics campus" and golfers in town are left with only Lincoln (very short course), Kings Walk (Do you think their prices will go up .... most certainly!), G.F. Country Club (Private, out of reach money wise for most golfers in town) and Valley in EGF (9 good holes, 9 holes with a dike running through them) there might be more golfers than you think that would miss Ray Richards.

Just one man's opinion ... and an honest one at that :D

Thoughts?

Ray Richards is also a nice little perk for the students who want to relax and get some fresh air. I played quite a bit when I was in school. Some of those times I should have been in class. :D

Don't mess with Ray Richards.

edit:

I checked prices between Kings Walk and Ray Richards for a single season pass:

UND Student at Ray Richards is $225.00

Public (Single) at Ray Richards is $450.00

Season pass at Kings Walk is $795.00

Not too bad for a nice little course.

Ray Richards is also a nice little perk for the students who want to relax and get some fresh air. I played quite a bit when I was in school. Some of those times I should have been in class. :D

Don't mess with Ray Richards.

edit:

I checked prices between Kings Walk and Ray Richards for a single season pass:

UND Student at Ray Richards is $225.00

Public (Single) at Ray Richards is $450.00

Season pass at Kings Walk is $795.00

Not too bad for a nice little course.

Just to clarify, a season pass at King's Walk is only $395 for people ages 19-23, and only $195 for some aged 18.

D-1 transition may involve arena alterations

UND football has called the Alerus Center home since the facility opened in 2001, but the team could be playing in a new outdoor stadium in the future if other options fall through.

With the conversion to NCAA Division-I Athletics about to start, concerns have already been raised about the seating capacity of the Alerus in relation to the minimum average attendance required of Division I schools.

Edit:Attendance requirements only apply to BCS schools. How soon is UND looking to that level?