SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wouldn't it be nicer if und sold the two wellsely college buidlings and they were turned into nice condos (4plex-2 up and 2 down) instead of tearing down two perfectly nice buildings right in the heart of campus?

#500million

On 2/19/2018 at 3:38 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wouldn't it be nicer if und sold the two wellsely college buidlings and they were turned into nice condos (4plex-2 up and 2 down) instead of tearing down two perfectly nice buildings right in the heart of campus?

Parts of campus are becoming an eye sore with all the empty lots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

How are they going to cry foul about the lack of student housing in a few years then?

UND plans to raze 39 campus apartment buildings

When those were built, there was clear land all the way to Larimore.  Now they look like low income projects that one sees in the South.  They just aren’t a good use for much more valuable real estate property.

• Upvote 1

They are an eyesore and right on the main path (University) through campus from 42nd to Columbia. Not a great welcome mat. Clean it up. Come off I-29, go past the tech incubator and the CAS complex to see that mess: not a good impression. Clean it up; put in better. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They are an eyesore and right on the main path (University) through campus from 42nd to Columbia. Not a great welcome mat. Clean it up. Come off I-29, go past the tech incubator and the CAS complex to see that mess: not a good impression. Clean it up; put in better. 

but what about the history?!?

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Someone isn't happy about them trying to tear down the Chester Fritz Auditorium,

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4419294-show-goes-fritz-now

I would hate for the Chester Fritz to be tore down.  I believe it's a huge asset to UND and the community.  Sure it needs some work done.  I'd rather see money going to refurbish it and make it more modern vs. tearing it down and building a new one.  I tend to go to one or two events per year at the Fritz every year.  Looking forward to the Foreigner show on April 2nd.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

I would hate for the Chester Fritz to be tore down.  I believe it's a huge asset to UND and the community.  Sure it needs some work done.  I'd rather see money going to refurbish it and make it more modern vs. tearing it down and building a new one.  I tend to go to one or two events per year at the Fritz every year.  Looking forward to the Foreigner show on April 2nd.

Totally agree with this.  The Fritz really is a great building that serves it's purpose.  Why tear it down when it is the only theatre of any significant size in Grand Forks?  Replacement would cost 25 million plus!  If this building only needs $13.3 million over the next decade, and it's as old as it is, I think it's a no brainer to keep it.  Even if they build a smaller building near the Hughs Fine Arts Center, it's easily going to cost more than that, and it will be worse than the current building.   Construction costs are doing nothing but going up.  

This was just built in Minnesota and it cost ten million.. only seats 250.  photo album

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I think the fritz is undertilized. There should be more opportunity to get off-broadway shows and other entertainment that is best in that type kf space. Grand Forks is lucky for a town its size to have so many entertainment venues.

The lack of amenities and updates needed are part of the problem. If they would find a way to get some of that done, I think it could become a real draw for that type of thing. Kind of a chicken/egg thing: They have trouble getting some acts, so no money/reason to fund upgrades. Acts don't want to come because of the lack of amenities. I hope they decide to invest in it, it remains a great venue.

15 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Totally agree with this.  The Fritz really is a great building that serves it's purpose.  Why tear it down when it is the only theatre of any significant size in Grand Forks?  Replacement would cost 25 million plus!  If this building only needs $13.3 million over the next decade, and it's as old as it is, I think it's a no brainer to keep it.  Even if they build a smaller building near the Hughs Fine Arts Center, it's easily going to cost more than that, and it will be worse than the current building.   Construction costs are doing nothing but going up.  

This was just built in Minnesota and it cost ten million.. only seats 250.  photo album

It's one possible idea in a 30-year planning cycle. This is why it's tough to do business in the public sector. Folks glom on to one possibility (in some cases the most extreme) and act like it's the only option and that the decisions are already made and set in stone. As an open government proponent, I wouldn't have it any other way. But it sure is a challenge to appear like you're a well-oiled machine just humming along when the whole world gets a peek at how your sausage is made.  This is why there's a perception that corporations and private colleges do things better .... they have the same issues, they just get to keep it behind closed doors. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It's one possible idea in a 30-year planning cycle. This is why it's tough to do business in the public sector. Folks glom on to one possibility (in some cases the most extreme) and act like it's the only option and that the decisions are already made and set in stone. As an open government proponent, I wouldn't have it any other way. But it sure is a challenge to appear like you're a well-oiled machine just humming along when the whole world gets a peek at how your sausage is made.  This is why there's a perception that corporations and private colleges do things better .... they have the same issues, they just get to keep it behind closed doors. 

I'm not out protesting.  Just stating my opinion.

Chester Fritz Auditorium, with its prefabbed concrete exterior, is an eyesore that is more proper in an industrial park than on campus.   Very much in favor of keeping it, with upgrades internal and external.  It such a shame work hasn’t been done sooner.  Maybe use the Corwin and Larimore Hall bricks to snazzy up the outside.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If a group or a person with deep pockets doesn't step up and and call BS on what there doing to this university now in 3 years it will be to late. Cratter you are correct. And  the Legacy Fund was not created to take down UND. Really you would have to be crazy to think that.

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Chester Fritz Auditorium, with its prefabbed concrete exterior, is an eyesore that is more proper in an industrial park than on campus.   Very much in favor of keeping it, with upgrades internal and external.  It such a shame work hasn’t been done sooner.  Maybe use the Corwin and Larimore Hall bricks to snazzy up the outside.

It's one of the ugliest buildings of all time. I'm not sure what can be done to "fix" the outside.

24 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's one of the ugliest buildings of all time. I'm not sure what can be done to "fix" the outside.

The Fritz needs a tune up. It would be a sad day to see it go. In the press release it says it may be replaced in the next decades. Which means  UND will not have a building like this as long as we are in charge.

looking at the funding to build the Fritz two thirds of the cost were private. With 1 Million coming from Chester Fritz. Watching and listing to the politicians in the past about private dollars being used to build buildings on college campuses they have said thanks but no thanks. We don't need the cost of the upkeep.

Built with private unnamed sources is all you hear on the campus of NDSU. Never do you hear thanks but no thanks. Build it let the tax payers pay for the upkeep.

p

18 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Watching and listing to the politicians in the past about private dollars being used to build buildings on college campuses they have said thanks but no thanks. We don't need the cost of the upkeep.

Like the IPF and aerospace building? 

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Like the IPF and aerospace building? 

The 8 10 12 buildings coming down on campus if I said here  I have the cash save them. Would they say great or would they say no the cost of upkeep is to much. The 2 examples you give says nothing about the future of UND. If 700 a year more freshman at SU is the norm from here on out. More buildings will be torn down because nobody will be on UNDs campus. UND the internet school is the future at UND.Per press release.