SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Would it be possible to put in glass on the south end of the building above the cat walk (is my orientation correct) ?  Give it some natural light and some warmth.

i've always thought that two or three rows of actual seats BELOW the cat walk would be awesome...adds a few hundred extra seats and you would right on top of the action...

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2016 at 10:13 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i've always thought that two or three rows of actual seats BELOW the cat walk would be awesome...adds a few hundred extra seats and you would right on top of the action...

That would be a structural nightmare to try to retrofit in. I'd say putting two rows of risers on the catwalks and selling those as special SRO would work as the walkway there is plenty wide. Then again, I'm sure that would violate some fire or building code. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

That would be a structural nightmare to try to retrofit in. I'd say putting two rows of risers on the catwalks and selling those as special SRO would work as the walkway there is plenty wide. Then again, I'm sure that would violate some fire or building code. 

Not sure how you can call it "standing room only" when there are plenty of seats you can sit in readily available!

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

For me, putting in risers would kind of ruin the catwalks.  IMO, the best thing about the catwalk (after quick access to beer and bathrooms, which would also be slightly hindered) is you can freely move around and high five everybody within a 25 foot radius after a pick 6.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

For me, putting in risers would kind of ruin the catwalks.  IMO, the best thing about the catwalk (after quick access to beer and bathrooms, which would also be slightly hindered) is you can freely move around and high five everybody within a 25 foot radius after a pick 6.

Agree 100%. When I get to attend games at the Al I rarely sit in my seat. Catwalk is the way to go.

Only addition I would add is a small table about one foot wide along the top of the catwalk railing.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Agree 100%. When I get to attend games at the Al I rarely sit in my seat. Catwalk is the way to go.

Only addition I would add is a small table about one foot wide along the top of the catwalk railing.

That would be nice.  Better put it about 6-8 inches below the top of the railing though or we'll have drinks/bottles falling on the field.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

they would look just like he club seats in the two bars at the ralph...two or three rows right below the standing rail...i'm sure an engineer could figure it out...they would be great seats that could fetch a couple bucks.

38 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

they would look just like he club seats in the two bars at the ralph...two or three rows right below the standing rail...i'm sure an engineer could figure it out...they would be great seats that could fetch a couple bucks.

There would be no view of the back of the endzone.  The rail is almost directly above the back of the endzone.

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

There would be no view of the back of the endzone.  The rail is almost directly above the back of the endzone.

Correct, only room for one row, but like I said earlier a small table connected to the rail (to set beer on, but like Biz said a few inches below the rail so we aren't dropping beers everywhere). 

• 5 months later...
22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4228897-road-renewal-und-eyes-renovation-projects-change-look-campus-corridor#.WLsLsvnhPfw.twitter

Und looking to revitalize University Ave. Including renovations to Gamble Hall, Memorial Union, and Chester Fritz Library buildings. Also involving city reconstruction of the actual street. 5+ year plan. 

Yes, the private-public opportunities are extremely exciting. 

This was first reported a few weeks ago in UND Today here: http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2017/01/coulee-to-columbia/

This is us where the Herald got its story from.  What has changed is the part about for the renovated Union. That student vote will be pushed back until the budget situation has settled. 

If the total cost is $189 mill and very little has been raised or set aside, it seems like UND is anticipating some very big donations.  Is a new remodeled Memorial in the cards?  Would be nice to have an elevated tube walkway stretching between those buildings.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If the total cost is $189 mill and very little has been raised or set aside, it seems like UND is anticipating some very big donations.  Is a new remodeled Memorial in the cards?  Would be nice to have an elevated tube walkway stretching between those buildings.

Yes there is 3 different plans hung up in the union for different possibilities that will be voted on by students.

On March 4, 2017 at 6:06 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Fake news this University is being raped. There are people who would like to burn down this campus. 500 Mil in deferred maintenance never ending cuts and some on this board say UND will be a better College because of it. Doesn't make sense to me. Before the oil boom everything was fine. Before the Legacy Fund everything was fine. Something doesn't' add up. And you guys question nothing. 

Where are the alumni I've heard no public comments questioning what's going on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, moser53 said:

Fake news this University is being raped. There are people who would like to burn down this campus. 500 Mil in deferred maintenance never ending cuts and some on this board say UND will be a better College because of it. Doesn't make sense to me. Before the oil boom everything was fine. Before the Legacy Fund everything was fine. Something doesn't' add up. And you guys question nothing. 

Where are the alumni I've heard no public comments questioning what's going on. 

Chickenlittlesoundtrack.jpg

We've been burning through the rainy-day fund and pulling profits from BoND.

A huge drop in North Dakota tax collections has had the state scrambling to make up for shortfalls to the state treasury for the past two years. Expected revenue from tax collections has missed the mark by more than $1.4 billion since then due to a slumping economy.

Those shortfalls have been plugged by draining a rainy-day fund, massively cutting most government agencies and skimming profits from North Dakota's state-owned bank.

So, we've tried the "revenue" side of the equation; it might be time to look at the "expense" side.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/north-dakota-lawmakers-get-bad-news-in-revenue-forecast/article_ab9369e2-5f12-5bff-82ff-7a430a34dcfc.html

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We've been burning through the rainy-day fund and pulling profits from BoND.

So, we've tried the "revenue" side of the equation; it might be time to look at the "expense" side.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/north-dakota-lawmakers-get-bad-news-in-revenue-forecast/article_ab9369e2-5f12-5bff-82ff-7a430a34dcfc.html

Those shortfalls have been plugged by draining a rainy-day fund, massively cutting most government agencies and skimming profits from North Dakota's state-owned bank.

One of the biggest increases in state "expenses" during the boom was property tax relief and it has been left unscathed thus far, so be careful what you wish for.  Also, there has really been no effort to increase fees or taxes, so the ongoing revenue side of the equation really hasn't been touched.  Income tax rates were halved during the boom and won't be going back up anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2017 at 6:06 PM, SiouxVolley said:

A remodeled Memorial?  No.

Phase II at the HPC is priority 1, 2 and 3 for the entire Athletic Department.  President Kennedy also has put this as a high priority. WHEN that's done, then there is no reason to remodel Memorial.  Memorial gets its "facelift" in Phase III when we get the new stadium with retractable roof that ties into the HPC in the Memorial Stadium footprint. :)

The anticipation for big donation(s) by UND may or may not be correct. :cool:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Phase II at the HPC is priority 1, 2 and 3 for the entire Athletic Department.  President Kennedy also has put this as a high priority. WHEN that's done, then there is no reason to remodel Memorial.  Memorial gets its "facelift" in Phase III when we get the new stadium with retractable roof that ties into the HPC in the Memorial Stadium footprint. :)

On taught the new stadium was going in the trailer park west of campus and just on the north side of U ave.?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2017 at 9:53 AM, UNDvince97-01 said:

Go on...

At the opening of the HPC it was announced that phase 2, offices and dressing rooms,  would be added on the west side of the HPC. Since the east wall of Memorial is immediately adjacent to the west side of the HPC, the memorial footprint would essentially be eliminated with phase 2. Unless something has changed? 

12 minutes ago, sprig said:

At the opening of the HPC it was announced that phase 2, offices and dressing rooms,  would be added on the west side of the HPC. Since the east wall of Memorial is immediately adjacent to the west side of the HPC, the memorial footprint would essentially be eliminated with phase 2. Unless something has changed? 

The only renderings I've seen showed the opposite. The renderings were very old, though. 

The rumors that I am donating tens of millions of dollars are completely unfounded, I'm afraid.

• Upvote 1