SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Even if that was the only reason, it would be enough.  

The College of Business is an oft-neglected cash cow for UND.  Gamble Hall is used by multiple colleges due to its large amphitheater style classrooms, so it's an important facility to the entire campus as most students will take a class there.  It's time to make it a jewel on campus, in the opinion of UNDBIZ.  :D

As a fellow Gamble Hall grad, I could not agree more. 

Showcase it as a centerpiece of campus (Which I know is difficult because of its current location and surroundings).

Would there be enough room to the east across the street to add on a 3-level addition of some sort and connect it with an overhead hamster tube?  I can't recall off the top of my head.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

As a fellow Gamble Hall grad, I could not agree more. 

Showcase it as a centerpiece of campus (Which I know is difficult because of its current location and surroundings).

Would there be enough room to the east across the street to add on a 3-level addition of some sort and connect it with an overhead hamster tube?  I can't recall off the top of my head.

I also am a CoBPA grad and loved Gamble Hall. Perhaps they can tear down the former Alumni House to the north and use it for a small expansion area. There is also plenty of land to the east between Gamble and the library, but that is such a nice walking path. 

1 minute ago, northernraider said:

I also am a CoBPA grad and loved Gamble Hall. Perhaps they can tear down the former Alumni House to the north and use it for a small expansion area. There is also plenty of land to the east between Gamble and the library, but that is such a nice walking path. 

You will have to forgive me for being sentimental on this, but they should leave the alumni house and the original exterior of Gamble alone.  Inside is a different story.

There's a ton of character value to the big white pillars and Gamble's facade.  I would hate to lose that.

Of course, there's an argument to be had the other way.

10 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Agreed, I'd like to maintain as much green space on campus as we can.

There has been talk in the past about replacing Gamble Hall (my home away from home for 4 years). I believe it involved a new building where Chandler is now. If I remember right, there was also a plan to add on to Hughes Fine Arts Center and that would be used for the classes and services now hosted by Chandler. I can't remember for sure if there was a replacement for Burtness in that plan or if Burtness was going to stay in place.

In addition to replacing Chandler and building new, Strinden Hall was talked about as new new location of the business school.

With all the room at the old St. Mikes/ Med School yet to be allocated, UND could absorb several thousand more students if it gets a new building for CoBPA.

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Strinden Hall was talked about as new new location of the business school.

That was my recollection.

Strinden Hall is an eye-sore, a blight, on what is otherwise a nice, scenic drive down the heart of campus. 

21 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

You're going to be angry with me Vince, but I'd like to see the building demolished and a collegiate gothic style building put up in its place.

I like this idea. There are definitely a few nice features within the current Gamble Hall, but I can't say I would be completely devastated if they bulldozed the building.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I like this idea. There are definitely a few nice features within the current Gamble Hall, but I can't say I would be completely devastated if they bulldozed the building.

Perhaps they can temporarily relocate to the old St Michaels/ Med School and bulldoze Gamble, Chandler and even Strinden.

39 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Speaking of building at UND what is that tower thing going up across from Loaf & Jug for ??????

Robin Hall, in the aerospace complex which will be mostly UAV classrooms and research.  Donated in part byou Si Robin, who owns an aerospace antenna company that will have greatly expanded markets as UAV's increase.

The tower will have a UND flame logo that will be seen from the interstate.

18 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Rather than a standard backlit, static sign (like is on the HPC and elsewhere), I think a dynamic, virtual flame logo/LED, similar but smaller in scale to what is on the Target HQ in downtown Minneapolis, would be cool.

• 3 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:08 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Robin Hall, in the aerospace complex which will be mostly UAV classrooms and research.  Donated in part byou Si Robin, who owns an aerospace antenna company that will have greatly expanded markets as UAV's increase.

Dedication of Robin Hall marks continued growth of unmanned aircraft opportunities at UND

Continued excellence also is predicted by UND President Mark Kennedy, who acknowledged the university proudly celebrates the success of its men's hockey team as national champions, but the strides made by the aerospace school could be put in a similar context.

"We were the national champions when it comes to aerospace education last year, and the year before and the year before that," Kennedy said. "The important thing about this gift is it's going to help us be the national champions in aerospace education, this year, next year and the year beyond that."

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Not sure where to post this, but came across a couple pictures of SDSU's renovated Football stadium.  I have to admit, I am a bit jealous of what they have going on there...

Works better 250 miles south.  Late season games in Grand Forks occasionally....

Screen-Shot-2013-07-07-at-6.37.35-PM.png

Also.... bench seating?  Cheapos rich-man.jpg

So you are saying it doesn't snow in Brookings during football season?

I know this topic (benefits/cons to outdoor stadium) have been discussed at length on here before.  I don't want to start that debate again.  So whether or not outdoor football in GF is feasible, I still like what SDSU is creating with their football facilities.  Hopefully UND will have a new facility (indoor or outdoor) on campus next to the IPF some day...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

So you are saying it doesn't snow in Brookings during football season?

I know this topic (benefits/cons to outdoor stadium) have been discussed at length on here before.  I don't want to start that debate again.  So whether or not outdoor football in GF is feasible, I still like what SDSU is creating with their football facilities.  Hopefully UND will have a new facility (indoor or outdoor) on campus next to the IPF some day...

Just build a stadium with the ETFE roof like US Bank Stadium.  Outdoor feel with indoor temps!!

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just build a stadium with the ETFE roof like US Bank Stadium.  Outdoor feel with indoor temps!!

Love the look of ETFE on stadiums.  For UND, a domed stadium probably doesn't need air conditioning as long as it has movable windows, even in the roof.  AC would be a huge cost.  Heating wouldn't be that difficult with UND heating ducts all over.

17 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I wonder if they could put some of that stuff on the Alerus now? 

And maybe end up with something like this? 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth_Barr_Stadium

As far as AC costs, those panels are "inflated" (air between the three film layers). I wonder if you could use argon gas for better insulation. The film itself stops UV. The key would be stopping more of the IR. (I think they're working on that.)