SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

https://twitter.com/...4522624/photo/1

The yard signs read "North Dakota Proud" with Proud being much larger than North Dakota. Doesn't appear to mention "UNIVERSITY" anywhere but it does have the interlocking ND. Again, they used the same big, ugly block lettering that they've been putting at center ice/court to spell out the words. What marketing genius came up with this for the yard signs? We need a new logo/mascot and soon. Right now, the signs look like they're for people who are proud to live in North Dakota and be Notre Dame fans. I was excited when I heard UND would finally have some yard signs, but now I'm just disappointed..... :sad:

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but it is time for NoDak to get rid of the Notre Dame logo. I hope when we get a new nickname and logo, they also come up with a new ND/UND logo. No matter how much we claim we used the logo first, 99.999% of people will always see that logo and think Notre Dame. As a flagship, highly ranked academically, full DI university it is time that we get our own identity.

But we don't need to derail this thread off topic, unless we are talking about the Notre Dame logos in the middle of the football practice and basketball facilities. :p

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but it is time for NoDak to get rid of the Notre Dame logo. I hope when we get a new nickname and logo, they also come up with a new ND/UND logo. No matter how much we claim we used the logo first, 99.999% of people will always see that logo and think Notre Dame. As a flagship, highly ranked academically, full DI university it is time that we get our own identity.

We are in the minority, but I've always agreed. Doesn't matter what claim we may think we have to it, 99% of people identify it (even the new version with embossing/drop shadows) with Notre Dame. Bad branding on our part.

We are in the minority, but I've always agreed. Doesn't matter what claim we may think we have to it, 99% of people identify it (even the new version with embossing/drop shadows) with Notre Dame. Bad branding on our part.

Im my opinion, if you see UND's logo which is green, black and white and think it is Notre Dame...you do not know your college logos very well. Notre Dame's interlocking ND is either gold or blue. Rarely is it ever green. To be honest...I don't think I have eve had someone walk up to me while wearing a UND shirt with the ND logo thionking it was Notre Dame. I think the people who get them confused are in the minority, :)

• Upvote 2

Im my opinion, if you see UND's logo which is green, black and white and think it is Notre Dame...you do not know your college logos very well. Notre Dame's interlocking ND is either gold or blue. Rarely is it ever green. To be honest...I don't think I have eve had someone walk up to me while wearing a UND shirt with the ND logo thionking it was Notre Dame. I think the people who get them confused are in the minority, :)

We're not worried about people who know UND's logo well, we're worried about the 95% of people who have no idea there's another school using what they think of as the Notre Dame logo, differentiated only by being green. There's not enough difference in the UND logo for those people to realize its a different logo, unless they already knew the UND logo existed.

Logos are printed in all sort of colors these days, and green is actually somewhat commonly used by Notre Dame because of the Irish association. Just google image search "Notre Dame logo" or go to a Notre Dame online merchandise store and browse, you'll see a lot of green.

I don't think you're in the minority at all. I have worn my green Sioux jersey around Ann Arbor and East Lansing a couple of times and without someone glancing at the front first, I was prone to either 'Spartans suck' from people walking by me in AA or 'Sparty On!' from people walking by me in East Lansing. I can't imagine wearing a green sweatshirt with the interlocking ND on it anywhere in the country outside of Grand Forks or Fargo without people immediately thinking 'Notre Dame'.

I can't imagine wearing a green sweatshirt with the interlocking ND on it anywhere in the country outside of Grand Forks or Fargo without people immediately thinking 'Notre Dame'.

This...^^^^^^^^

Gotta do better that that!

I have a Notre Dame shirt that is green with "Notre Dame" written in cursive with white letters. Realized I can't wear it around campus because without looking at it hard, people around here will associate it with UND. Anywhere else...Notre Dame.

Right!

nds.jpg

As much as I do like the 'North Dakota' version, there's absolutely no getting around it being confused with the 'Notre Dame' version.

I have always had a problem with the ND logo as well. The only workaround for this is to mandate that "North Dakota" is displayed under the logo. Not an ideal solution, as it would STILL get confused, but it could help.

I have a baseball cap with the interlocking ND logo on the front with the Indian head logo clearly displayed with the ND logo and people in Colorado ask me if I went to Notre Dame. To your point Lets Go Sioux, people still confuse it even when there is another logo that is clearly not Notre Dame.

Right!

nds.jpg

As much as I do like the 'North Dakota' version, there's absolutely no getting around it being confused with the 'Notre Dame' version.

It certainly CAN be confused with the Notre Dame logo, but I think it is differentiated enough to stand on its own. I mean, there are different colors, one is old school whereas another is certainly a newer font, and one is interlocking whereas the other isn't.

Its like saying it is common to get mixed up between the Grambling, University of Georgia, and Green Bay logos.

23ubzg2.jpg[2lnz71k.jpg

If youre not color blind, you can easily distinguish those logos! Color, font, and style all distinguish UND's logo from Notre Dames. There are several situations where only color is the distinguisher. I think the interlocking ND is fine and perfectly separable.

I have always had a problem with the ND logo as well. The only workaround for this is to mandate that "North Dakota" is displayed under the logo. Not an ideal solution, as it would STILL get confused, but it could help.

That actually is the case. No memorabilia can be made with the new interlocking ND standing alone. Before the nickname was retired you could put "Sioux" underneath it but now it can only be printed with "North Dakota" underneath. The only time the interlocking ND stands alone is when the athletic department uses it itself.

It certainly CAN be confused with the Notre Dame logo, but I think it is differentiated enough to stand on its own. I mean, there are different colors, one is old school whereas another is certainly a newer font, and one is interlocking whereas the other isn't.

Its like saying it is common to get mixed up between the Grambling, University of Georgia, and Green Bay logos.

23ubzg2.jpg[2lnz71k.jpg

If youre not color blind, you can easily distinguish those logos! Color, font, and style all distinguish UND's logo from Notre Dames. There are several situations where only color is the distinguisher. I think the interlocking ND is fine and perfectly separable.

The problem is Notre Dame doesn't restrict their logo to just the color blue. There is Notre Dame apparel with blue, green, gold, white, black, and even pink interlocking ND logos. Green Bay's logo always/almost always has the same colors and I don't think we want to use Grambling as an institution to aspire to in terms of marketing.

und-sioux.jpgNotre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_ND_Logo_Black_Punchout_One_Fit_Flex_Hat1.jpg

Let's all just be happy we had a secondary logo. Otherwise we would be using the "North Dakota" block letters as a logo. So we have a similar logo. That's ok for now. We will have a new logo soon enough. Then we can avoid all confustion!!

That I can agree with.

23ubzg2.jpg2lnz71k.jpg

Agree to disagree. The Green Bay 'G' logo is easily recognized by NFL fans all over the country. The Georgia 'G' logo is easily recognized by college football fans all over the SEC (and, quite honestly, all over the country). The interlocking ND logo of North Dakota is easily recognized by fans all over...well, about 1/2 of North Dakota.

Plus, you don't see UGA football busting out Packer-color 'special jerseys' or Green Bay sporting red, white, and black alternate uniforms.

• 2 weeks later...

To Whom it may concern at Ralph Engelstad Arena-Athletic Department,

Just got back from the volleyball game and it is now two years into being a member of once was a pipe dream called the Big Sky Conference...you still haven't gotten around to fully embracing the idea of being members with schools like the University of Montana, Montana State University, Weber State University, and the University of Idaho. WHERE ARE THE MEMBER SCHOOL BANNERS????? Maybe a Big Sky Logo above the north doors? Maybe have Hadju sand down the old Big Sky logo and paint on the correct one on the court??

I know full well that when the beloved hockey team moves from the WCHA to the NCHC that the member schools will be hanging above the club room and the correct NCHC logo will be on the ice near the blue line....but if i show for the first hockey game and i look up and see Michigan Tech and Mankato State's banners hanging above the club room and the WCHA logo near the blue line still i'll just know you guys are just clueless...

• Upvote 1