SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

Nervous of what? Are they planning on buying 30000 people to put in the stands games with the 500 million? :silly: (there's the smiley)

No, they'll be making the short drive up from Fargo just like they do for Fighting Sioux hockey games. :D

I'm sure there are plenty of UND alumni in Fargo.

Gotta go somewhere to get a decent paying job. *rimshot*

Well, I have season tickets and drive from Alexandria and there are a good number of people who drive from the Fargo/Moorhead area who are NDSU grads. Why do these people have season tickets to Fighting Sioux games instead of driving down the block to watch a Bison game?

Well, I have season tickets and drive from Alexandria and there are a good number of people who drive from the Fargo/Moorhead area who are NDSU grads. Why do these people have season tickets to Fighting Sioux games instead of driving down the block to watch a Bison game?

I don't know Rick, why don't you tell us their background, and maybe we can give you an explanation? Did they grow in Grand Forks? Do they have relatives that play for the Sioux? Are they fans of other local D-II schools? Do they enjoy hockey, so they are forced to purchase tickets to the football game and want to use them? Are they visiting friends in Grand Forks that go to the games? Do they enjoy sports and split time between the Bison and the Sioux? Are they imaginary, and you just invented them in a vain attempt to convince others that UND is better than NDSU?

A little more info. for that question would be nice.

Not trying to be offensive here, but some of the stuff I'm reading is borderline ridiculous. It seems these days that UND has money for whatever it wants except when it actually needs that money. So far we've had:

1. The D-I move, which was going to cost 1 million a year, now costing, what, 9 million a year in five years? Oh, and 60% of that is going to be student fees. You would think a school that is able to raise enough money to catch up with the Big 10 in endowments in 10 years, would be able to fund a move to low level D-I without raising student fees like that. Hell, SDSU and USD aren't raising fees and they can do it.

2. Money for the Sioux name Law Suit. Everybody knows theres going to be money for that. Oh wait, all of the money has been spent. Amazing, I mean a school that can raise nearly 50 million a year on top of what they currently are doing should be able to come up with the cash to simply fund a lawsuit, don't you think?

3. The Facilities Master Plan- Where's that at again? I thought I read it was coming out in March, I mean April. Anybody have a TOA on that thing? Because it sounds like something your administration is dangling in front of peoples eyes to get them excited.

4. The money for a new outdoor football stadium, and new basketball arena for UND. Shouldn't be a problem to come up with that, right? I mean, whats another... 50-100 million sound right?

Are we getting the idea here? Just on the list above UND will have spent around 3/4 of a BILLION dollars. And this money is in addition to what people are already giving in scholarships, athletic tickets, athletic gifts, facility repairs, lawsuit money, etc. Does it sound realistic that a school of UND's size is going to raise 3/4 of a billion dollars on top of that? Just to put that endowment you are going to raise into perspective, that would mean in 10 years UND will have raised 1/4 of what Minnesota has raised in its entire history. That will be half of Baylors money, IN 10 YEARS. Does that seem to fit into reality for you guys? All of you get calls to give to UND, do you really think the fund raising wing of the school has missed 750 million dollars lately? To put what we're talking about in perspective... if every member of this board gave to UND, they would have to give $235,300 to get the kind of money we're talking about. If every current living alumni of UND was to give money, they would have to donate $12,000 per person.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but you really believe that this money is going to be there in 10 years? Or maybe, are they just printing stuff to get you excited, and it will be 25-50 years before this is even close to being finished, if it ever is? It sounds a lot like marketing ploy to me.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but for someone that's not trying to be a jerk, you sure are good at impersonating one.

Not trying to be offensive here, but some of the stuff I'm reading is borderline ridiculous. It seems these days that UND has money for whatever it wants except when it actually needs that money. So far we've had:

1. The D-I move, which was going to cost 1 million a year, now costing, what, 9 million a year in five years? Oh, and 60% of that is going to be student fees.* You would think a school that is able to raise enough money to catch up with the Big 10 in endowments in 10 years, would be able to fund a move to low level D-I without raising student fees like that. Hell, SDSU and USD aren't raising fees and they can do it.

2. Money for the Sioux name Law Suit. Everybody knows theres going to be money for that. Oh wait, all of the money has been spent. Amazing, I mean a school that can raise nearly 50 million a year on top of what they currently are doing should be able to come up with the cash to simply fund a lawsuit, don't you think?

3. The Facilities Master Plan- Where's that at again? I thought I read it was coming out in March, I mean April. Anybody have a TOA on that thing? Because it sounds like something your administration is dangling in front of peoples eyes to get them excited.

4. The money for a new outdoor football stadium, and new basketball arena for UND. Shouldn't be a problem to come up with that, right? I mean, whats another... 50-100 million sound right?

Are we getting the idea here? Just on the list above UND will have spent around 3/4 of a BILLION dollars. And this money is in addition to what people are already giving in scholarships, athletic tickets, athletic gifts, facility repairs, lawsuit money, etc. Does it sound realistic that a school of UND's size is going to raise 3/4 of a billion dollars on top of that? Just to put that endowment you are going to raise into perspective, that would mean in 10 years UND will have raised 1/4 of what Minnesota has raised in its entire history. That will be half of Baylors money, IN 10 YEARS. Does that seem to fit into reality for you guys? All of you get calls to give to UND, do you really think the fund raising wing of the school has missed 750 million dollars lately? To put what we're talking about in perspective... if every member of this board gave to UND, they would have to give $235,300 to get the kind of money we're talking about. If every current living alumni of UND was to give money, they would have to donate $12,000 per person.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but you really believe that this money is going to be there in 10 years? Or maybe, are they just printing stuff to get you excited, and it will be 25-50 years before this is even close to being finished, if it ever is? It sounds a lot like marketing ploy to me.

*one reason I am not to excited about the move to DI

1. The D-I move, which was going to cost 1 million a year, now costing, what, 9 million a year in five years? Oh, and 60% of that is going to be student fees. You would think a school that is able to raise enough money to catch up with the Big 10 in endowments in 10 years, would be able to fund a move to low level D-I without raising student fees like that. Hell, SDSU and USD aren't raising fees and they can do it.

You're just not happy unless you are raining on someone's parade, are you? :D I don't have all of the answers to your questions, but I'll give it a shot.

1. The only reference I can find for the $1 million dollar price tag is from anti-UND folks and from the following text from this report NCAA CLASSIFICATION TASK FORCE REPORT

Comparison of the adjusted total of $6.9 million to support current UND athletics to the overall Division I-AA average of $7.9 million provides an indication of theneed for additional funding of about $1 million (excluding facility related costs) if a move to Division I occurs. This is by no means a final amount but merely one way to begin to quantify the financial impact. A detailed financial plan must be developed based on an agreed upon set of assumptions.
They are only talking about averages here.

In This press release from Kupchella announcing the move to Division I it stated the following..

It would appear from the Task Force report that at a minimum we would need at least $2 million more per year than we now devote to athletics in order to move to Division I in an effective way. This would require some combination of an increased student fee and the building of an athletic program endowment.

I think NanoBison might be out, better make that $235,400 each.

Ya'know, aff is right.

I'd like the world's best hockey rink, a practice rink, and a 3500 seat basketball/volleyball training facility.

It means each person here has to give $35,456.

I guess it's not going to happen.

Ya'know, aff is right.

I'd like the world's best hockey rink, a practice rink, and a 3500 seat basketball/volleyball training facility.

It means each person here has to give $35,456.

I guess it's not going to happen.

Oh now the Betty is just a training facility- I thought it was built to house the mbb and wbb and volleyball games. My bad - by the way it's only 3,000 seats. :silly:

Oh now the Betty is just a training facility- I thought it was built to house the mbb and wbb and volleyball games.

You thought? Thanks for the input but I'll go with ....

The primary purpose of the new structure is to serve as the practice facility. It will encompass four regulation-size basketball courts, allowing both teams to practice at the same time.

http://www.und.edu/dept/our/uletter/07112003.html#15

... by the way it's only 3,000 seats.

They've put 3300 into it (and the end court seating systems are smaller than they could be).

But why would you need more when you have access to The Al and The Ralph?

You thought? Thanks for the input but I'll go with ....

http://www.und.edu/dept/our/uletter/07112003.html#15

They've put 3300 into it (and the end court seating systems are smaller than they could be).

But why would you need more when you have access to The Al and The Ralph?

You'll never get the hockey gods to go along with playing bb in the Ralph full time. Most people on this board say it isn't a very good venue for bb but if it works out great.

You'll never get the hockey gods to go along with playing bb in the Ralph full time. Most people on this board say it isn't a very good venue for bb but if it works out great.

Wow, that's almost like an endorsement coming from you Bison Dan. :silly:

Speaking as one of the hockey gods, you finally got one correct. :D

The Ralph isn't great for hoop but having seen games in each it's better than Fargodome in hoops setup.

Now, just for the pleasure and enjoyment of "aff" :silly: :

After the on-campus football stadium (heck, let's go retractable roof while we're at it :glare: ) as a make-up to the city and Alerus Center UND will move basketball over there. How's that. :D