SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 Men's BB

UND Fan

Injury update: It appears Koenig is making good progress and should be ready to go next fall. Bledsoe is also progressing well - he won't be able to really start working out until later in the summer but things look good at this point. Unfortunately, Harkins is still suffering with some very painful shin splint-like problems. They are having a difficult time figuring out what to do about it.

The coaching staff is looking for a power forward. Unfortunately, most kids still available have some sort of "baggage" that comes with them.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know whether Thomas Dryburgh is still coming to UND next year? Any word on other possible additions prior to next season?

Unless something happened in the last couple of days, Dryburgh will be at UND next year. We still have a little more than one scholarship available. They are looking hard for a power forward.

• 1 month later...

I hope the Koenig is ready to play, and be a presence on the inside this season. This squad needs an effective big man. I read over the USD board that they got a transfer from Creighton.......a 6-11 center. The Sioux were pounded on the inside and out-rebounded last year by every team that had any sort of inside presence.

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index...9992&page=1

I hope the Koenig is ready to play, and be a presence on the inside this season. This squad needs an effective big man. I read over the USD board that they got a transfer from Creighton.......a 6-11 center. The Sioux were pounded on the inside and out-rebounded last year by every team that had any sort of inside presence.

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index...9992&page=1

Koenig has apparently made very good progress this summer but, of course, you won't really know if he is truly ready to go until the "banging" starts. If he is healthy, you would think that the combination of him and Dryburgh underneith would be pretty good. I fully agree, we definitely need to improve our game under the basket. The coaching staff has been trying to find a power forward but isn't having much luck this late in the summer.

Koenig has apparently made very good progress this summer but, of course, you won't really know if he is truly ready to go until the "banging" starts. If he is healthy, you would think that the combination of him and Dryburgh underneith would be pretty good. I fully agree, we definitely need to improve our game under the basket. The coaching staff has been trying to find a power forward but isn't having much luck this late in the summer.

It seems unlikely we'll be able to find anybody good, who doesn't have baggage, this late in the summer. However, a Koenig-Dryburgh combination inside is still a major improvement over last season, especially in terms of physical presence. Hopefully Gutter and/or Seckar-Anderson can provide some decent minutes off the bench.

• 1 month later...
According to a post on a different message board, Dryburgh is no longer with the team. Can anyone confirm or deny? He's listed on the roster that was posted this past week.

Dryburgh is with the team - working hard everyday.

Bledsoe and Koenig are continuing to make progress - not 100% yet!

Even though we're still a month away from practice even starting, I'm actually kind of pumped for basketball season. The competition for starting positions should be interesting, as there are a lot of players who would appear, on paper, to be legit candidates to start. With a new coach, it's very hard to say how some of the returnees will fit into the new system. Will Doyle be able to hold off Youmans and/or Bledsoe at the point? How will Harkins and Hoy compare to players like Kruse and Boyce? Is Little more of a 3 or a 4? Will Jones go with a bigger lineup with both Koenig and Dryburgh starting, or will Koenig play the 5, with basically four perimeter players surrounding him?

Even though we're still a month away from practice even starting, I'm actually kind of pumped for basketball season. The competition for starting positions should be interesting, as there are a lot of players who would appear, on paper, to be legit candidates to start. With a new coach, it's very hard to say how some of the returnees will fit into the new system. Will Doyle be able to hold off Youmans and/or Bledsoe at the point? How will Harkins and Hoy compare to players like Kruse and Boyce? Is Little more of a 3 or a 4? Will Jones go with a bigger lineup with both Koenig and Dryburgh starting, or will Koenig play the 5, with basically four perimeter players surrounding him?

I agree! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what Rich Glas did for this program, but after 18 years at the helm I am looking forward to see a new style of play implemented by Coach Jones. I'm also looking forward to watching some players with some size get out on the court, not just tall players (like Lindahl and Rypkema) but some guys with some meat on their bones.

Has any GF resident or UND student been able to watch the BB players working out? If so, I am curious as to how the new guys look.

On the down side, I understand there is a good chance that Harkins will not be able to play this year due to his shin problems. They still can not determine what the real problem is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting geared up for the start of basketball season. Purdue is less than a week away. I see UND's 2006-07 Prospectus is out, and so is the NCC Media Guide. I know South Dakota is ranked 14th in the preseason poll, but Minnesota St. should be very good again this year as well.

As for the Sioux, I'm not sure what to expect, but I am excited to see a different style of program from what we have seen the last 5 years or so. UND had virtually no presence in the paint last year. That should change with a healthy Koenig, the addition of Dryburgh, and hopefully the 6-9 265 lb. freshman Ben Lehnertz can contribute. Gutter is a big body as well.

A couple of thoughts/questions about some of the incoming players:

Boyce, Dryburgh, and Youmens: I like the fact that all three of these guys come from winning programs, which usually means they play with a team first mentality, rather than a me first mentality. Youmens was a big scorer and Boyce a good shooter FG% wise, two things this teams needs.

Little: Had nice stats at his JC last year, averaged around 15 points and shot 40% on 3-pointers. But he only played in six games. Was he injured or was it for other reasons?

Getting geared up for the start of basketball season. Purdue is less than a week away. I see UND's 2006-07 Prospectus is out, and so is the NCC Media Guide. I know South Dakota is ranked 14th in the preseason poll, but Minnesota St. should be very good again this year as well.

As for the Sioux, I'm not sure what to expect, but I am excited to see a different style of program from what we have seen the last 5 years or so. UND had virtually no presence in the paint last year. That should change with a healthy Koenig, the addition of Dryburgh, and hopefully the 6-9 265 lb. freshman Ben Lehnertz can contribute. Gutter is a big body as well.

A couple of thoughts/questions about some of the incoming players:

Boyce, Dryburgh, and Youmens: I like the fact that all three of these guys come from winning programs, which usually means they play with a team first mentality, rather than a me first mentality. Youmens was a big scorer and Boyce a good shooter FG% wise, two things this teams needs.

Little: Had nice stats at his JC last year, averaged around 15 points and shot 40% on 3-pointers. But he only played in six games. Was he injured or was it for other reasons?

He was recruited by Glas and Co. last year but would not sign early. He was dismissed from his JC team for unspecified reasons and UND dropped him from their list also. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

I think we can have a respectable team if we play as a team and stay out of trouble off the court. Here's hoping Jones can right the ship.