SiouxSports.com Forum

State of the Sioux

jk

I was just looking at the PWR rankings, where the Sioux are 20th, and noticed their record against other PWR teams:

1. Denver  DNP

2. SCSU  0-2

3. Lowell  DNP

4. UNH  DNP

5. MN  1-2

6. MSU  1-0

7. BU  DNP

8. CC  2-0

9. Maine  1-1

10. Michigan  1-0

That's 6-5 total against Top 10 teams.  The Sioux have played none of the other teams in the PWR rankings (there are 32 total).  

As Blais said, if they play their game, UND can now beat anyone.  Now they need to handle the teams they are supposed to and get the winning percentage up.  

At 5-9-1, I thought if they could go 3-1 in each four-game set, that would be 15-5 in their last 20, and 20-14-1 overall.  I'm guessing that would be enough to get them in the tournament.  At 5-1 since then, they are a touch ahead of that pace.  

Next up in the development of the team is to discover home ice.  I think it just hasn't felt like home to them; it's like a neutral site, to which a lot of Sioux fans have travelled.

Does anyone know why Fournier didn't play this weekend?  I had considered him to be one of the freshmen who was coming along nicely, as he was showing up on the scoresheet regulary.   I was looking forward to seeing him play, as I thought his offensive creativity would be welcome on the big ice.

Transitioning from defense deep in their own zone to offensive possession down the rink seems to be this team's biggest problem right now.  Aside from the PP, that is, which continues to struggle.

But many players seem to be getting better, and team play seems to be improving also.  Lundblom (thanks Wooger) looked better Sunday than Saturday, and I'm sure he will continue to work into shape.

Enough rambling.  Go Sioux.

Re Chris Fournier: he tweaked his shoulder in practice last week. Apparently, it is a minor recurrence of a chronic problem. I'm told he should be back soon. I agree that Fournier has been coming on. I think he has the best playmaking skills on the team. I'd like to see Fournier and Bochenski together on one of the top lines, but for that to happen, they are both going to have to consistently play well in their own end and avoid dumb penalties.

I was very happy with the play of Canady and Ryan Hale this weekend.  I thought both really look improved, and had an impact.

I missed seeing Fournier.  I will be up for my first series at the new REA.  I hope he plays.

Who else do Sioux fans think are making big improvements or contributions?

Since you asked...

I really like this new class.  I think every one of them is going to be a good player, and several will be stars.  

Canady - As you mentioned, very visible, especially Sunday.

Connelly - I'm glad a fast guy got #17.  He's not Panzer, but his speed will destabilize defenses for the next few years.  He also shot low on the 2-on-1 Saturday, yielding a Goren-to-Ulmer-while-Hobey-watches rebound goal, which no one did on the numerous 2-on-1's Sunday.

Fournier - wish I could have seen him.

Bochenski - didn't have the big series I was hoping for.  It seemed like he didn't see as much ice in the third Sunday, as perhaps Blais was thinking defense.  Still, what a quick, hard shot he can get off in traffic.

Massen - breaking out, but more visible Saturday than Sunday.  Looks like he's used to having a bit more room to operate with the puck, and still adjusting to that. But, for a big guy, nice skills.

McMahon - Is going to be the prototypical Sioux forward, I think.  Average Plus skating, hands, vision, aggressiveness.

More later.

My take on the Sioux so far:

Goaltending: I think we are going to like this Siembida fellow! Jake Brandt has put together four consecutive solid games and he deserves to play again soon.  In the past month, goaltending has went from poor to good.

Defense: The Sioux have six pretty good defensemen, but no Travis Roche or Jordan Leopold. Schneekloth and Mazurak have had lapses in their own end (better recently), but (at this stage) have the most playmaking ability. David Hale is very solid, but I don't think he is great at moving the puck. Schneider and Jones have been good--but they are definitely still freshmen. Either or both could be All-American candidates before they are through. Nick Fuher has been a pleasant surprise. Overall, a good group--but not nearly as proficient at moving the puck (and certainly not as dangerous offensively) as Minnesota's fantastic group of Leopold, Martin, Ballard, and Stevens.

Forwards: Ryan Bayda has been Ryan Bayda. Skarperud might be the most improved player in the group. Lundbohm has been up and down. Spiewak and Notermann are outstanding role players but not big scoring threats. Ryan Hale, Brian Canady, Ryan Connelly, and Rory McMahon are their potential heirs. Those guys consistently bust their tails. Brandon Bochenski and James Massen are both potentially big-time goal scorers. Both have had lapses of intensity and both have taken some bad penalties. I still expect big things from Chris Fournier. Small, average speed, but eyes in the back of his head and great hands--I think he could end up being a John Pohl-type.

Penalty Kill: Spiewak and Notermann have been excellent for three years. I personally don't like Bayda and Skarperud on the PK. I'd rather have them fresh for 5-5 and PP situations. I would like to see the coaches try Canady and Connelly here. Maybe McMahon.

Power Play: Point men are adequate at best. Schneider and Fournier may pan out in time. Bayda, Skarperud, Bochenski can do the job down low. Probably Lundbohm and Massen, too. I don't like Spiewak and Notermann on the PP. They are better suited to 5-5 and PK.

Overall: slow start, improving freshmen, some ups and downs. About what we expected. Probably a spoiler this year.

I agree on your assessment of our D corp.  I get very worried with D. Hale when he has the puck in his own end.

I also agree on Skarp.  I was one guy who really wasn't that impressed with him but he has made me a believer the past 3 games that I could watch on TV.

I love Spiewak and Notermann.  I did expect Spie to score more this year though.  And missing the open net last night about killed me.  But I love the guy.

It is interesting, this weekend Bayda has played back on the point on the PP.  I also agree that I am not that impressed with Bayda and Skarp on the PK.  But then it is well documented that I don't understand the Sioux PK philosophy.  (And that is no criticism since I don't know the game.  But if anyone wants to explain to me our passive style vs. the Gopher aggressive style I would welcome the instruction.)

I actually think on Sun night we saw some of Canady (and was it Connelly?) on the PK.  I believe I saw that.  I took it as a good sign.

A Siembida/Brandt rotation doesn't sound too bad based on the last six or seven games.

The defense needs to learn to make a twelve foot pass and let the forwards move the puck and out. None of them (right now) have the ability to carry it out, or make the long on-the-tape pass, consistently. Give them time.

Spiewak and Notermann are best suited for that PK and the "shut down their #1 line" role. When they can be put back to that (meaning not having to worry about creating their own offense but strictly being opportunistic) they will probably show up with more scoring (as backwards as that sounds).

Please note that the recent success seems to correspond with the emergence of ..... James Massen. The team began to win when he started playing well enough to be out there with Bayda and Skarperud.

Canady and Connelly showed a flash of Waterloo on Saturday. They were all Waterloo had last year and they were good.

Now that I've seen Fournier's eyes and hands and Bochenski's shot first hand I know why they were 1-2 in USHL scoring last year. They have trouble in defensive zone. Maybe McMahon could fill in what they lack there.

How's Tyler Palmiscno (other than sore and lucky)? Anyone heard?

At 5-8-1, the Sioux are only 1 point off where I thought they'd be at this point.    I am hoping for a 9-5 finish down the stretch which should be good enough for home ice - hopefully hosting Wisconsin.  It all starts this weekend, anything less that 3 points against Alaska will doom our home ice chances.  I really excited to get these guys home again and wipe away the sour taste from the last home series.

Anyone know what's going on with Derek Faul?  I had read here he was being converted to defense but I haven't seen where he's played recently.

HKNTSMN,

I respect your opinion and I'm glad that you take the time to contribute here. Thanks!

You are probably right about Spiewak and Notermann on the PP. Afterall, Blais has been putting them out there pretty consistently for two years and the last I heard he was pretty well respected coach. ;)

I Say we ride Siembida the rest of the way, this kid is the man for a while, I also believe that he is heads and toes above Brandt.

All the Minnesota fans are bitching about us getting a goalie at the break and how unethical it is and it being a bush league move. I thought it was a great move. Now it appears that the various fans around the league are all of a sudden worried about UND...

Wooger that Jack A$$ was talking about how Kevin Speedwack was not a profo-lific scorer and but he was fast. Wooger can't be that stupid, maybe he can, Like most of us Siou fans know Kevin is a defensive forward. Very good at it too.  I am sure Woog knows that  they pay people to do that job in the NHL.

(Edited by Goon at 6:55 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)

HERE IS ANOTHER GOOD POST. CLASSIC WHINNING...

Where did this new miracle goalie come from so quickly? He meets the team at the airport on the way to the GLI in December? He has never been on the ND campus or taken a class?

You have to be kidding me. This almost sounds illegal. How can they do this? Does anybody have any info on how they did it? How does a guy get admitted to a university in a week or so? This isn'tthe pros where you can call up some guy from the minors and put him on a plane immediately. The only real weakness of the Sioux and they plug it up in midseason - unbelievable. It doesn't sound like fair play. Everyone else has to take their lumps until the next season or at least the new semester.

####, if Minnesota brought in a player during mid-season certain of their fans would be hailing it as a great coaching move by Lucia.  When the shoe's on the other foot though ...  These are the same clowns who whine about other programs bringing in USHL and Candians and wax poetic about "pride on ice."  Let 'em whine.  ;)

I like Siembida's potential and raw talent alot.  I just hope the rest of the team plays with his degree of focus and concentration.  We still haven't hit our full potential yet, but there are flashes of hope.  :)

drea, I think that Woog was making a point similar to points that Tom Kelly used to make about himself.  Tom would say something like "I look like a lot better manager if a guy hits a 3 run homer".

He was just meaning that if a goalie plays great, the team has a much better chance to win.  If the team wins, the coach looks better.

Look at Blais, this might be the best coaching job he has done at UND, but the years he won coach of the year awards, guess what, he won National Championships.

Also, the fact that Blais has had a lot of great, midget goalies now, is getting to be something we ALL laugh about.

I thought Woogs comment was insightful and humorous.