SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Presidents Meet on May 23rd

star2city

What will the Big Sky do on May23rd?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Will the BSC expand? Which schools get added?

• No action. No schools will be added
    • Add three schools: UND, NDSU, SDSU
    • Add one school: NDSU
    • Add one school: SDSU
    • Add one school: Southern Utah
    • Study the situation

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still like UND's chances, so I voted UND/NDSU/SDSU. A perfect contra-indication of what will come down seems to be the conventional wisdom among Bison fans, so that's a good sign for us! In the past, NDSU fans were of the prevailing view that NDSU to the Sky was inevitable. Now, their prevailing wisdom is that NDSU to the MidCon is inevitable. I like those odds. :0:D

But seriously, it is curious that, to my knowlegde, no one from the UND administration has even mentioned the May 23rd Big Sky meeting in all the discussion about DI. IMHO, they are protecting their relationship with the NCC - as they don't have the media (and other NCC schools) knowing they are flirting with the Big Sky in case those meetings don't go UND's way.

For UND's long-term future, the worst case scenario is probably NDSU/SDSU going to the MidCon. That could probably freeze us out from both conferences. Another poor scenario would probably be the Big Sky adding NDSU and the MidCon adding SDSU. If that should happen, UND would have to wait until a Big Sky school moved to the WAC before getting consideration in the Big Sky. Also, NDSU would be in a position to blackball us if they were a conference member.

If the Big Sky was intent on adding only one, their strategic choice should be SDSU to be a travel partner with UNC. By doing that, NDSU's appeal to the MidCon would plummet, as they would have no travel partner. The Big Sky would effectively have preserved its access to both NDSU and UND as potential future members.

If the Big Sky was intent on adding only one, their strategic choice should be SDSU to be a travel partner with UNC. By doing that, NDSU's appeal to the MidCon would plummet, as they would have no travel partner. The Big Sky would effectively have preserved its access to both NDSU and UND as potential future members.

That would be just about our luck.

In response to the Mid-Con showing interest in expansion, the Big Sky will also show interest in expansion by asking NDSU, SDSU, SUU, and UND to submit "institutional profiles"/letters of inquiry to the league office, the same thing they did in the fall of 2004. Then they'll study the issue.

With the recent comments coming from both Kupchella and Boyd, I fear that DI may be a dead issue at this point for UND :0 . The fact that the Montana St. President is pining for NDSU, and considering the positions of the western Big Sky schools, I now think it is becoming more likely that the Big Sky will in the end expand by one, and that one will be NDSU. SDSU and IPFW will eventually end up in the Mid-Con. UND will continue to toil in DII and anchor an NCC that will add DAC schools. :D

Haven't read any of this thread, but shouldn't "Add two schools, SDSU and NDSU be a choice on this poll. I know it may be unlikely, but theres still a chance.

My guess is that star2city thinks the dream of BSC adding two more schools kind of died when they took UNC (note also the lack of NDSU + UND choice).

Although I voted for UND/NDSU/SDSU with my heart, I almost believe that NDSU is going to the Big Sky and SDSU is going to the MidCon and UND is left out at this point, due to a lack of commitment by UND. If the leadership would come out and show some fervor over the possiblity of Division I, I might feel differently. Maybe behind the scenes they are doing and saying the right things.

Even if NDSU gets into the Sky and SDSU gets into the Mid Con, it's not all lost for UND.

Sac State is looking for a way into the WAC. Who knows how many years we're talking about, but maybe 3-5 you could see Sac State leave the Big Sky with 9 and in need of another.

In response to the Mid-Con showing interest in expansion, the Big Sky will also show interest in expansion by asking NDSU, SDSU, SUU, and UND to submit "institutional profiles"/letters of inquiry to the league office, the same thing they did in the fall of 2004. Then they'll study the issue.

With the recent comments coming from both Kupchella and Boyd, I fear that DI may be a dead issue at this point for UND :0 . The fact that the Montana St. President is pining for NDSU, and considering the positions of the western Big Sky schools, I now think it is becoming more likely that the Big Sky will in the end expand by one, and that one will be NDSU. SDSU and IPFW will eventually end up in the Mid-Con. UND will continue to toil in DII and anchor an NCC that will add DAC schools. :D

If such scenario does occur we need to hold Kupchella and Co. accountable for their shortsightedness hurting UND. The alumni should step up along with everyone else and ask for his resignation for mishandling this situation if such as situation occur. D-I is the way to go and we may have missed a golden opportunity because of the way they've handled this.

Perhaps Kupp is planning on leaving soon and would rather leave the DI decision to the next president?

Wouldn't that be an honorable thing to do?

If that is the case he should have left a few years ago. Opportunities like this only come around so often if the growth of the university has to be put on hold because he wants to leave difficult decisions up to the next president then he probably shouldn't have this job anyways because he's clearly getting paid to do a job he isn't doing. It's his job to be a leader of this university and act in it's best interest, if he's holding the university back because he wants an "easy road" to retirement then that is inexcusable.

Bob Boyd gave one interview in which he stated something to the effect that 'we look like a DI school, not a DII school.' I believe there are a number of people in the UND administration that are doing everything they can to make DI a reality within the constraints of finances and the conference situation.

If such scenario does occur we need to hold Kupchella and Co. accountable for their shortsightedness hurting UND. The alumni should step up along with everyone else and ask for his resignation for mishandling this situation if such as situation occur. D-I is the way to go and we may have missed a golden opportunity because of the way they've handled this.
And if the contrary is true, that UND gets into the Big Sky conference without having to spend twp-three years as an independent, Kup, Harmeson, Boyd etc would deserve a major round of applause and kudos as they would have saved millions and saved UND the embarassment of conference reject slips. Agree they have taken a higher risk, higher reward path.

My guess is that star2city thinks the dream of BSC adding two more schools kind of died when they took UNC (note also the lack of NDSU + UND choice).

Eleven schools isn't really an option (we're not talking adding Penn State to the Big 10 here). Eight, nine, ten, and twelve schools are workable, depending on the geography and sports offerings.

If there is an option that I left out, it is NDSU/SDSU/SUU, but I personallly don't see that happening.

Who's to say he doesn't think he's doing whats right for UND? Maybe he truly believes they should stay in DII and who's to say he's wrong? Only the most avid fans seem to post to these boards but there are many more that both go to various games and contribute financially that I'm sure don't think its the right thing to move up. If his decision is to stay in DII everyone can debate the merits of that choice but only time will tell if he's right or wrong.

Hold on a minute. Didn't some of the survey questions ask if we wouldn't mind paying

higher ticket prices should we be in a league with Montana, Montana St. etc...??

IMHO,the BSC would really like to link themselves with say a name that plays D1 sports

and make championship games.

We play Denver,Minnesota, Wisconsin all D1 schools in hockey. Surely DU must play UNC?

Anywhere you can put it in the headlines that a member of YOUR league beat another is all good.

Small scale example NSIC vs NCC. Before Duluth joined the NCC you could pick up a paper

in Duluth and if the Bulldogs beat North or South Dakota those are headlines and now with internet

one more way to promote YOUR team and league.

I don't think it's all bad that NDSU makes it into the BSC. By looking at it from the outside it seems a few teams have come and gone in the BSC.

Sooner or later UND and probably SDSU will be asked. Until then I don't mind being a major power in D2

like the Lakers of Grand Valley.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the BSC wants UND and NDSU is a member?

UND would be just like the bratty brother noone wants to have around but always seems to get all the attention. :0

Bob Boyd gave one interview in which he stated something to the effect that 'we look like a DI school, not a DII school.' I believe there are a number of people in the UND administration that are doing everything they can to make DI a reality within the constraints of finances and the conference situation.

Yes but that was the only statement from Boyd in that interview that could even remotely be interpreted as a "pro-DI" comment. During the rest of the interview he pointed out the massive travel expenses that UND would incur if we were to join the Big Sky and repeatedly brought up the portions of the survey results that indicated that most respondents favored staying DII.

I hope I am wrong, but it just seems to me that the UND brass is doing everything they can to accumulate enough evidence to use as reason not to make this move, starting with the "Modest Proposal" and culminating in this task force and its survey findings. I pretty much lost all hope when I saw Kupchella's interview with Steve Hallstrom and basically repeated verbatim his 2004 letter to football letterwinners...........to paraphrase, "It may make no sense at all to make this move, but emotions may force us to." To me that just reinforces my assumption that he has not changed his mind on this issue since it was first visited in 2003. Unfortunately, I fear that it is in fact Dr. Kupchella's emotions that are getting in the way of this very important issue. ???

Back on topic, I'll reiterate my opinion that the Big Sky will end up adding just one, and will be announced to be NDSU later in the summer or early fall. The western schools will consent to adding one Dakota school (not 3 because of travel concerns) in order to appease the Montana schools and lessen the threat of the Griz leaving for the WAC. Had the Mid-Con situation not come to fruition, I doubt that expansion would be on the Big Sky's agenda at all.

I assume they have the institutional profiles from the last round of expansion. I think they will announce visits to interested schools.

I don't see how waiting 5 to 10 years or until the next president to make this decision is going to make our transition any easier. If anything it will be quite a bit more difficult to make a division I move in 5 years after most of the corporate donations have headed south and we've turned a decade worth of high school students into Bison fans. The longer we wait the further we fall behind and the more difficult the transition will be. This is our best chance and if we don't step up we'll be mired in Division II for years to come and our athletic department will be suffer tremendous setbacks from its current level. Secondly, it deeply troubles me how Kupchella and Co. have handled a challenge fom NDSU. When I began attending school here in 2002 we were the premier institution in ND- athletically and academically. NDSU has challenged us by upping their athletics and to this point we haven't responded. It makes me wonder if we'd roll over if they started to improve their academic programs such as business or even law or medicine and challenge us in these areas. Would we step up our levels or would we rest on our laurels until it's too late and they've surpassed us. It seems to me we're setting a horrible precedent by in effect choosing to become inferior to ndsu in athletics.

Back on topic, I'll reiterate my opinion that the Big Sky will end up adding just one, and will be announced to be NDSU later in the summer or early fall. The western schools will consent to adding one Dakota school (not 3 because of travel concerns) in order to appease the Montana schools and lessen the threat of the Griz leaving for the WAC. Had the Mid-Con situation not come to fruition, I doubt that expansion would be on the Big Sky's agenda at all.

Adding just NDSU wouldn't be the worst thing for UND and SDSU long term. If/when expansion happens again in the BSC, you'll have another school voting in favor of SDSU or UND.

If they add only one school in the Big Sky, it will be NDSU. They have a big supporter in the Montana State President, and to my knowledge, SDSU has no booster in the BSC like that. Also, the obvious travel partner for Northern Colorado is NDSU. Have you checked the flight schedules to see how easy it is to get from Denver to Fargo? An hour and a half flight and you are on campus or at your hotel 10 minutes after landing. You would have to fly into Sioux Falls and bus to Brookings. That is something that NDSU has over SDSU or UND that the other schools in the BSC will look at, especially with Delta starting flights from Fargo to Salt Lake. Every Big Sky school has to fly into Minneapolis to get to Grand Forks in every sport except football (where they would probably fly on a charter). The BSC will not take SDSU because it thinks it will have an easier time adding NDSU & UND in the future. You may want to think UND has that kind of appeal, but I'm afraid you are mistaken. They will take the one they consider the best option to get out of their scheduling nightmare a nine team league has caused them. They know going to a twelve team 2-division conference will take some convincing of some of the presidents (maybe 2 or 3 years down the road), but they really want an even number for scheduling, so adding one is their immediate option.

I would hate to see NDSU and SDSU go to different conferences, but who knows with the crazy world of conference politics. I would still think it unlikely that the Sky will be able to make a move prior to the MidCon. There are still the politics of Sac State and Portland State not wanting to travel to the Dakotas......they claim it will cost to much money.

If they add only one school in the Big Sky, it will be NDSU. They have a big supporter in the Montana State President, and to my knowledge, SDSU has no booster in the BSC like that. Also, the obvious travel partner for Northern Colorado is NDSU. Have you checked the flight schedules to see how easy it is to get from Denver to Fargo? An hour and a half flight and you are on campus or at your hotel 10 minutes after landing. You would have to fly into Sioux Falls and bus to Brookings. That is something that NDSU has over SDSU or UND that the other schools in the BSC will look at, especially with Delta starting flights from Fargo to Salt Lake. Every Big Sky school has to fly into Minneapolis to get to Grand Forks in every sport except football (where they would probably fly on a charter). The BSC will not take SDSU because it thinks it will have an easier time adding NDSU & UND in the future. You may want to think UND has that kind of appeal, but I'm afraid you are mistaken. They will take the one they consider the best option to get out of their scheduling nightmare a nine team league has caused them. They know going to a twelve team 2-division conference will take some convincing of some of the presidents (maybe 2 or 3 years down the road), but they really want an even number for scheduling, so adding one is their immediate option.

Seriously, does anybody have anything to back any of this up? I'm pretty sure you pulled almost all of that straight from your a$$. If any combination of the Dakota schools is so great for the big sky, then why did they reject them the first two times? Oh, thats right, location. Hasn't changed has it? Then why on earth would they add only NDSU? The "scheduling nightmare" that they haven't even endured yet? Maybe give them a season to go through that first. I can see your point about NDSU being the "obvious" travel partner to No. Colorado. I mean who wouldn't want to play one bball game in greely one night, and a game in Fargo the next. Just a quick, cheap, little hop. Same for Brookings or Grand Forks. The big sky isn't going to expand this year. NDSU and SDSU will likely end up in either the midcon this summer, or else in conference limbo until the probation is up.