SiouxSports.com Forum

Thank you Marvin

Prpichrocks_19

Lee,

You are a class act on and off the ice. You always took time to sign autographs for the fans and were always very polite. I wish you the best of luck in the future and hope to see you at many more Sioux games in the future!!

Congrats on a great career! :glare: You made us proud!!

GO SIOUX!!

Noticed the pictures of the autograph night and saw Lee in some of them. It's gotta be tough when it's your last year and you don't get on the ice all that much. Yet, when you heard him interviewed between periods he was always in good spirits.

Lee was the equivalent of a baseball utility player. About the only position he didn't play was goalie. I would assume he was a leader off the ice as well.

Good luck, Lee, in everything you do.

Lee, thank you very much for you're four great years here at UND. I have loved watching Fighting Sioux hockey, and you were the epitome of a class act. Always worked hard, was a leader on and off the ice, and provided us fans with some fantastic memories. The one I loved best, when we were playing Denver earlier this fall. End of the third period, and the fighting had gotten out of hand with DU. You completely took out the DU player much to the crowd roars and approval of us fans. We loved seeing you enact some sort of revenge from the Paukovitch-Bina incident. Thank you for you're talents and leadership. Good luck in whatever you find after college at UND, I wish you nothing but all the best in the world.

Thanks for a memorable 4 years Marvin! You were a great person on and off the ice, and made the best of every situation. I hope to see you along with any other former Sioux great up in the stands with the rest of us, wearing the green and white once again, and cheering your team on win or loose. You represented the Sioux well, along with the people of Manvel (yes I know he isn't from Manvel, but he has family here). I greatly appreciated your contribution to the team and I wish you the best of luck to you with everything you do in the future. Thanks again Lee! :glare:

Lee, we now all appreciate how special it is when someone dedicates a full four years to the program. We definitely need more players like you who are willing to come into the lineup when and where required and give 100%. All the best in your future endeavors. :glare:

True story. I was hosting someone on Senior night. They introduced the seniors. The guy I was with was saying that it was a "good name". My reaction was to say sure, it's a great hockey family.

As I said, true story.

Marvin was always a team player. Probably should have played more in my eyes. Nothing flashy, but not much in the way of mistakes either.

Most instructive moment that I ever witnessed from Marvin was in The World on the weekend of January 14-15, 2005. Marvin was in street clothes with Smaby, who must have then been in the doghouse. My brother and I stumbled across them by the hotdog stand while slathering the mustard, and we got to shooting the breeze with them. Smaby, a Minneapolis boy, made some innocent, but incorrect remark, about Roseau, when he meant to say Warroad. I said, "Warroad." He said "What?" I said, "You mean Warroad, not Roseau." Smaby shrugged and said, "What's the difference. Same thing."

Marvin jumped in and was all over Smaby in a second. "No difference! You idiot!! That's like me saying that you, a Minneapolis boy, are from St. Paul!! Big big difference. Don't you ever forget it." Now wildly gesturing with his hands, he continued his lesson. "Matt, it's Roseau, and it's Warroad. It's Minneapolis, and it's St. Paul. Never never confuse one for the other. Might get you hurt in the wrong crowd."

It was then, with that little life lesson from Marvin, that Smaby began to mature as a man, and as a player. The next night, the second night of the series, Smaby was on the ice in a tough 1-0 loss to the Tigers where the Sioux outshot the Tigers about 40-15. Smaby played a key role in limiting the Tigers to fifteen shots. For the first time, he looked like a man among boys, rather than a boy among boys. Many say that that game was the springboard to the Sioux's season-ending run to Columbus. It certainly was a turning point in Smaby's career. Tampa Bay will never realize it, but Marvin did more for Smaby that night than any coach could have ever done.

Marvin did all of the little things right, including schooling Smaby in the finer points and lessons of life.

I will forever toast a player who wears the Sioux uniform for four years, and does so with pride. Here's to you Lee Marvin. Another in a long line of solid Warroad stock.

Lee, thanks for all the hard work and dedication you put in during four years with our beloved Fighting Sioux hockey team. It is clearly hard for those of us fans in the stands to fully appreciate all of your contributions to the team's success. However, after hearing Coach Hakstol talk about "leadership from our seniors" and how the team chemistry was influenced by the seniors and the upperclassmen, it becomes apparent that those close to the program, in the best position to know, understand and appreciate all you've brought to the program.

Those same qualities are valuable in any endeavor you take on, and I wish you the best in all your pursuits.

Thanks again, for everything. Aloha.

Lee Marvin you are truly a dedicated man!! Always ready to play at any given time and any position. It has been fun to watch as you have played defense & offense!! I too know your family from Manvel & they are all proud of you & so are we!!! You will succeed in life with the positive attitude & dedication that you have. I wish you the best!! I hope that we will continue to see you throughout the hockey seasons!!!

GOOD LUCK & Thank you for the dedication that you have given to the UND hockey program!!! :glare::D

• 2 weeks later...