SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/CC

jk

Kuhninca, you raise an interesting point about OLeary and Hasbargen.  I don't know how to answer it either.

But I think it went this way.  Blais had plenty of bodies to get guys to compete for playing time.  There's still what, 4 forwards sitting every game.  3-4?  Anyway,  Oleary and Hasbargen played with a ton of heart, and squeezed every once of ability onto the ice.  You could say we are missing that this year.  I agree with you there.

But it is tough not do what Blais did as well.  He brought in guys with more talent.  He could have kept Hasbargen and OLeary, but they probably wouldn't have touched the ice, except in times of need due to injuries.  And if that IS the case, could they have much impact?  I don't know, but I would guess it would be limited.

My guess, as you surmised, is he was willing to take this road, for the betterment of the future.  We have some good leaders growing on this team, see Blais comments about the Hale brothers, his prophecy that Canady will be captain one day, etc.

The future looks bright.  Let's hope we can see some of that sparkle yet before this season ends.   Things are not as dim as they were early on.  

Do you keep O'Leary and Hasbargen when Canady and McMahon can play that same grinding game plus have scoring talent? I believe that was the deciding factor.

The rest of the league sees 10 new faces in Sioux jerseys each night. They know that "payback" time (for 1997 through 2001) is now because it won't get easier in the future. I'm sure Brandon Bochenski, James Massen and the rest have good memories and will return this year's "favors" to the league in coming days. ;)

Patience.

I'm still disappointed that Blais cut guys like O'leary and Hasbargen.  In the process, he sacrificed this season for a shot at a title in one or two seasons to come.  We at UND don't take lightly to losing, which is all this team is doing now.  I wonder if he thinks it was a mistake in hindsight.

Kuchinia (sp) my first question I would ask you is who would have these two guys replaced in the line up. I say no one of the current crop of freshmen. Throw into that mix Palmo who is I think a better player  with the same kind of heart is fighting to stay in the line up too...

I don't think Blaiser regrets this season, he is still one of the best coach in hockey.

I think if we would have had Roach and Lundbohm we would have been a lot better than we are now. How do you over come that you don't... Look at our schedule this season its been tough next season we get a gopher like schedule with Canisus, Niagra, and a patsy X-mas tourney with BSU, Harvard and Yale... Easier. So we will be able to pad our schedule with some wins...

What good does it do to say what if?  But what if Roche and Whitey were still here?

I say we would have 6 more points at least this season.

Roche would have provided another stabilizing force on D, and would tremendously helped with the breakout from our zone and the transition game.

With Whitey in the lineup, I suggest that David Lundbohm would never have had to sit out a game to get his head straight.  Whitey wouldn't have let it happen.  Couple that with another seasoned and effective offensive talent for Bayda to play with on the 1 line.  Massen would have stayed in the USHL and that would not have hurt us or him.

But, that is fun to speculate about but accomplishes nothing.  My only real regret about the whole situation is that I would dearly have loved to watch Roche in person in the college game again another year.  I really enjoyed watching him, especially last year.  And I would like to have seen the comparison between him and Leopold.  Both of whom are outstanding but I take Roche.

I'm still posting.  Count me in as one who thinks the Sioux will finish with a winning record.  As for next year, we'll

be tanned and rested and the team to beat.

Thought the boys skated hard in Colorado Springs.  With a little more puck luck they could have  pulled out a win both nights.  Is it just me or does Siembida stay down a long time when he stops a low shot?  We're still not clearing those rebounds and that's killing

us, especially when Josh is face down on the ice after stopping a flurry of shots.  

My hat's off to Tim Skarperud who has been a real work horse.  Faced with only a year of eligibility and unseasoned

teammates, he took up the challenge and has played with heart and with smarts.  He's been the best player on the

ice some nights.  Mark my words: if the Sioux can make it into the Final Five, Skarp will make the all tournament

team.