SiouxSports.com Forum

Lacrosse at a "DI" UND?

The Sicatoka

Men's lax isn't growing enough for conference opportunities.  Air Force has  to play in the SoCon.  Denver is in the Big East. Bellarmine is the next closest, and it's in Louisville in the SoCon.  UND probably would not get accepted due to travel.

In women's lax, UND would be accepted to the MPSF, which sponsors a number of minor sports that other western conferences don't have enough members sponsoring.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2016 at 5:48 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Men's lax isn't growing enough for conference opportunities.  Air Force has  to play in the SoCon.  Denver is in the Big East. Bellarmine is the next closest, and it's in Louisville in the SoCon.  UND probably would not get accepted due to travel.

In women's lax, UND would be accepted to the MPSF, which sponsors a number of minor sports that other western conferences don't have enough members sponsoring.

Marquette University in Milwaukee is the closest D1 men's lacrosse program to Grand Forks.  They made the NCAA tournament this year.

Not UND related on this topic but the Grand Cities Lacrosse Association's Varsity team won the Dakota Premier League championship yesterday in Sioux Falls, SD defeating Black Hills from Rapid City, SD 12-3.  Also, Red River Valley Lacrosse Association from Fargo won the Minnesota Boys Scholastic Lacrosse Association championship on Saturday defeating Becker, MN 9-8.  Bismarck/Mandan Lacrosse and Grand Cities also won a youth titles in the Dakota Premier League tournament over the weekend. 

NDSU made it to the Final Four in the club association national tournament earlier in May, losing in the semifinals to St Thomas University from St. Paul, MN.  St Thomas went on to win the entire event over Grand Valley State.  This was St Thomas' 5 national title.

Lacrosse is arriving in the Dakotas, I would love to see UND take a leading role in NCAA lacrosse.

Lacrosse would be a big waste of resources with little return. It is not a big sport in the state so recruiting would be tough. It is doubtful that attendance would be substantial. There is not close conference so travel expenses would not be reasonable. It is tough having a new team in a sport and the costs/ risks with it are not worth it.

26 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Lacrosse would be a big waste of resources with little return. It is not a big sport in the state so recruiting would be tough. It is doubtful that attendance would be substantial. There is not close conference so travel expenses would not be reasonable. It is tough having a new team in a sport and the costs/ risks with it are not worth it.

Recruiting would be done in MSP and Canada (where it is the other sport).

Facilities would be far better (HPC and Alerus) than what we can support for other sports. 

Travel, as you state, can not be ignored, nor can conference; but, the season is short (16 games). That's eight travel weeks at most (fewer if you can schedule double-headers or travel partners).

The sport is growing locally and regionally (MSP, Denver). 

I also see the day where one home mens lax game draws what baseball did in a home season; and I see lax as offering tailgating options that baseball never could.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NeedHockey said:

Lacrosse:. A bunch of dorks running around whacking each other with butterfly nets.  No thanks!

Hockey: A bunch of dorks running around whacking each other with curved sticks

I live near South Middle School in Grand Forks and for a few weeks saw youth lacrosse teams playing on the athletic fields. I have also seen several lax nets while walking around my neighborhood.  Seems to be some type of popularity in the region. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Do we have a club team?  That'd be a good place to start.  Revisit the idea of D1 lacrosse in 10-15 years (and likely conclude the sport still isn't where we would need it to be in order to add it).

Montana State has a club team.

2 hours ago, Air Force One said:

Not UND related on this topic but the Grand Cities Lacrosse Association's Varsity team won the Dakota Premier League championship yesterday in Sioux Falls, SD defeating Black Hills from Rapid City, SD 12-3.  Also, Red River Valley Lacrosse Association from Fargo won the Minnesota Boys Scholastic Lacrosse Association championship on Saturday defeating Becker, MN 9-8.  Bismarck/Mandan Lacrosse and Grand Cities also won a youth titles in the Dakota Premier League tournament over the weekend. 

NDSU made it to the Final Four in the club association national tournament earlier in May, losing in the semifinals to St Thomas University from St. Paul, MN.  St Thomas went on to win the entire event over Grand Valley State.  This was St Thomas' 5 national title.

Lacrosse is arriving in the Dakotas, I would love to see UND take a leading role in NCAA lacrosse.

If we can find teams close by to cut travel expenses it could work. I would love to see us have lacrosse.

• Upvote 1

NAIA might soon sponsor lax.  U of Great Falls just announced a program and some signees.  NAIA has a bunch of men's lax team in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan.  Some of them offer partials too.  

DII has some men's lax schools in Colo, Mo, and further east, and they offer partials.  Imagine that MIAC DIII schools may start m lax too.  Hemline already has a women's team.

With college lax play starting in February, it's difficult for most schools in this area to have facilities for it.  Suspect Minnesota will be the first DI school to announce M/W lax in UND's area.  NDSU will go for women's lax before UND does.  Men's lax at DI isn't growing that fast except at schools that don't have football or are already a P5.  Women's lax at DI and at every level by contrast is growing fast.

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

NAIA might soon sponsor lax.  U of Great Falls just announced a program and some signees.  NAIA has a bunch of men's lax team in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan.  Some of them offer partials too.  

DII has some men's lax schools in Colo, Mo, and further east, and they offer partials.  Imagine that MAC DIII schools may start m lax too.  Hemline already has a women's team.

With college lax play starting in February, it's difficult for most schools in this area to have facilities for it.  Suspect Minnesota will be the first DI school to announce M/W lax in UND's area.  NDSU will go for women's lax before UND does.  Men's lax at DI isn't growing that fast except at schools that don't have football or are already a P5.  Women's lax at DI and at every level by contrast is growing fast.

:0 GeauxSioux must be going crazy....two posters that aren't me using that word in one day. 

But seriously what's the rule on creating a lax conference. I would think maybe with local schools (mostly former NCC) could get one together.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Air Force One said:

Marquette University in Milwaukee is the closest D1 men's lacrosse program to Grand Forks.  They made the NCAA tournament this year.

A UND lacrosse team is not getting an affiliate spot in the Big East or Big Ten.  I only listed close teams that are in lesser leagues and it looks really bare for this area.  A women's lax team could get into the MPSF league, which is losing PAC12 teams shortly.

Lax is a pipe dream for UND right now, especially if we go FBS.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, cberkas said:

With the hiring of a new coach who seems destined to be a DI varsity coach, it's just a matter of time before Utah men's lax goes DI.  They must be waiting for other PAC12 teams to announce.

On 6/6/2016 at 0:26 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Do we have a club team?  That'd be a good place to start.  Revisit the idea of D1 lacrosse in 10-15 years (and likely conclude the sport still isn't where we would need it to be in order to add it).

UND has had a club team for 25 years.  Same conference as NDSU, St Cloud, St Johns, St Thomas, UM-Duluth, Winona St, and MSU-Mankato

On 6/6/2016 at 8:39 PM, SiouxVolley said:

DII has some men's lax schools in Colo, Mo, and further east, and they offer partials.  Imagine that MIAC DIII schools may start m lax too.  Hemline already has a women's team.

U of Great Falls started their program in the 2013-14 school year, my son was part of that first season.  Currently there is a Grand Forks Red River grad on the UGF roster.  NAIA sponsored an invitational national tournament this spring for mens and womens from NAIA schools.  In two years it will be a fully sanctioned NAIA sport with a national championship.

56 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

U of Great Falls started their program in the 2013-14 school year, my son was part of that first season.  Currently there is a Grand Forks Red River grad on the UGF roster.  NAIA sponsored an invitational national tournament this spring for mens and womens from NAIA schools.  In two years it will be a fully sanctioned NAIA sport with a national championship.

Wonder if Jamestown wouldn't start lax too, as they did for ice hockey.  The league they are switching to has some lax teams and it has growing interest in the west.  Jamestown has good facilities for a NAIA school, but their indoor practice center doesn't appear to have turf.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Wonder if Jamestown wouldn't start lax too, as they did for ice hockey.  The league they are switching to has some lax teams and it has growing interest in the west.  Jamestown has good facilities for a NAIA school, but their indoor practice center doesn't appear to have turf.

I am sure there would be a transition period for the NAIA programs to move from MCLA to NAIA full time, as well as some crossover to get games.  Jamestown could start in the Great Lakes Lacrosse League as a club team, same league that MSU-Moorhead and South Dakota State play in, then move up to MCLA 2 where UND and NDSU play (or start here) before fully committing to NAIA.  As far as facilities, you can commit to making what you have work or commit to building what you need.

When I think of a local NAIA school, Mayville State is always my first thought.  I would be all over Comet Lacrosse if it happened!

3 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

I am sure there would be a transition period for the NAIA programs to move from MCLA to NAIA full time, as well as some crossover to get games.  Jamestown could start in the Great Lakes Lacrosse League as a club team, same league that MSU-Moorhead and South Dakota State play in, then move up to MCLA 2 where UND and NDSU play (or start here) before fully committing to NAIA.  As far as facilities, you can commit to making what you have work or commit to building what you need.

When I think of a local NAIA school, Mayville State is always my first thought.  I would be all over Comet Lacrosse if it happened!

Jamestown needs wealthier more suburban kids that can pay tuition.  Mayville doesn't attract that demographic so much.  Mayville started a men's varsity soccer team but later dropped it because of cost.  Lax needs double the kids that hockey and soccer teams have, and Jamestown, being private needs enrollment to keep its funding.  Mayville St much less so.  Jamestown has much more incentive to start lax from a enrollment and business standpoint.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

40 minutes ago, planet2county said:

Upper Iowa adding women's lax 2018-2019.

Just a tidbit.  Not meant to restart a whole discussion on athletic program.

Mods can delete.

Would be interesting if another Northern Sun school starts women's lax.  Now, there are two NSIC schools, Concordia-SP and Upper Iowa, and three further south, Rockwood in KC, Lindenwood outside SL, and McKendree in IL.  One more and they have an ssautobid conference.  The public schools in MN don't have money though.