SiouxSports.com Forum

Lacrosse at a "DI" UND?

The Sicatoka

It's amazing that he Big 10 would add an affiliate member for lacrosse, but not for hockey? You would think that they would have considered adding Notre Dame, BC, Denver, Miami, or UND for hockey if they are okay with affiliate membership.

It wouldn't have been und though. Per their own coach's statement this is an unhealthy rivalry that he doesn't want to continue at this time.

Apparently the B1G added lacrosse today. They already had the most sponsored sports and now up to 28. Seemed inevitable with the addition on Maryland. Even more surprising they grabbed Johns Hopkins as an affiliate is what I hear. Which this conference doesn't do. I haven't read any articles on this, so is Hopkins going to get in on the sharing of research? And did I hear correctly on the radio that umtc is close to adding as sport?

Norwood Teague is rumored to support the idea of lacrosse. Minnesota is now producing D1 recruits for lax. They could also play in the new Vikings stadium just as their baseball team does. Moreover they have their own league that would accept them.

The Daily Gopher has an article on it today.

• 1 year later...

I watched the Yale vs Maryland lacrosse game and I wish UND had it, the rules are similar to hockey and our hockey buddies Denver is a DI member of the Big East Conference, it's too bad it's not big all around the country as all the conferences are in the east the closest DI teams to us are Notre Dame and Denver. There are more women's DI teams than men so UND could go with that and maybe dump baseball and women's hockey. Play games at Memorial or at the IPF among other places. I wish UND would give this a look.

Personally, I love the sport. My son was on the first team ( Grand Cities Predators ) that started playing here three years ago. It's fast, physical, and wicked all at the same time. Like hockey, if your unfamiliar with it to start with, you really need to be in attendance to appreciate the skills and hand-eye coordination needed to be successful. I wish UND would fund it but realize that is not likely.

I said drop both baseball and women's hockey and replace it with mens and women's lacrosse.

Baseball and women's hockey don't give out an equal number of scholarships.  That is not an equal Title IX trade off.  Plus you have the other Title IX factor of offering sports that are of interest to the students.  Hockey is of much more interest to UND students than lacrosse.

Baseball and women's hockey don't give out an equal number of scholarships. That is not an equal Title IX trade off. Plus you have the other Title IX factor of offering sports that are of interest to the students. Hockey is of much more interest to UND students than lacrosse.

I know students love hockey but not so much "women's" hockey and there is zero interest in baseball, how many people on campus know the other WAC teams we play? Maybe 5 or 6 people. Title IX just sucks.

• Downvote 1

I'd much rather have baseball and women's hockey than any kind of lacrosse, actually I'd prefer pretty much anything to lacrosse.

Lacrosse is a great sport and is growing in popularity every year. It's huge with the youngsters here in the Cities. It would be very smart for Und to pursue a sport like that.

I know students love hockey but not so much "women's" hockey and there is zero interest in baseball, how many people on campus know the other WAC teams we play? Maybe 5 or 6 people. Title IX just sucks.

So you don't believe that women should have an equal right to play college sports.  Got it.  And don't go to the sports paying for themselves.  Almost all college sports in the country would go away if they had to pay for themselves.  Some college football, most of men's basketball and some selected programs in other sports would be the only ones that exist.  The original reason for college sports, and part of the reason they still exist, is to provide opportunities for students in a variety of ways.

By the way, did you realize that women's hockey has a higher average attendance than volleyball?  By your reasoning they should eliminate volleyball first.  Actually, your reasoning would have them eliminate all women's sports other than basketball since that is the only sport that has higher attendance than hockey.

So you don't believe that women should have an equal right to play college sports. Got it. And don't go to the sports paying for themselves. Almost all college sports in the country would go away if they had to pay for themselves. Some college football, most of men's basketball and some selected programs in other sports would be the only ones that exist. The original reason for college sports, and part of the reason they still exist, is to provide opportunities for students in a variety of ways.

By the way, did you realize that women's hockey has a higher average attendance than volleyball? By your reasoning they should eliminate volleyball first. Actually, your reasoning would have them eliminate all women's sports other than basketball since that is the only sport that has higher attendance than hockey.

Didn't women play college sports prior to title IX? UND had to ax wrestling because of it.

Lacrosse is a great sport and is growing in popularity every year. It's huge with the youngsters here in the Cities. It would be very smart for Und to pursue a sport like that.

I know the MSHSL adopted it as an official sport in the last maybe 5 years and it is growing I'm just not a huge fan of the sport personally. I'm only in my 20's and don't really know anyone who is a lacrosse fan. I'm not sure if there are any high school/youth programs in northern Minnesota I believe most of the programs are metro area schools. The question is would people come watch and support it at UND or would it just be another thing that you lose money on.  

Didn't women play college sports prior to title IX? UND had to ax wrestling because of it.

Not nearly as many sports were offered to women before Title IX.  That is why they created Title IX, to try to provide more equal sports opportunities.  For instance, basketball and volleyball were started at UND after Title IX was passed.  Most of women's sports expanded after Title IX.  And yes, wrestling was a victim.  The choice was either expand women's sports even more, or cut a sport (kind of like the way you want to cut baseball now).  I guess that you don't think UND should have women's basketball or volleyball.

Not nearly as many sports were offered to women before Title IX. That is why they created Title IX, to try to provide more equal sports opportunities. For instance, basketball and volleyball were started at UND after Title IX was passed. Most of women's sports expanded after Title IX. And yes, wrestling was a victim. The choice was either expand women's sports even more, or cut a sport (kind of like the way you want to cut baseball now). I guess that you don't think UND should have women's basketball or volleyball.

Why do you keep saying what I think? I would like to cut baseball and women's hockey and replace both with men's and women's lacrosse. I never said cut all women's sports, or any of them. Just replacing a money draining sport with a cheaper one. Do you Title IX is a good thing as it stands today?

So you don't believe that women should have an equal right to play college sports.  Got it.  And don't go to the sports paying for themselves.  Almost all college sports in the country would go away if they had to pay for themselves.  Some college football, most of men's basketball and some selected programs in other sports would be the only ones that exist.  The original reason for college sports, and part of the reason they still exist, is to provide opportunities for students in a variety of ways.

By the way, did you realize that women's hockey has a higher average attendance than volleyball?  By your reasoning they should eliminate volleyball first.  Actually, your reasoning would have them eliminate all women's sports other than basketball since that is the only sport that has higher attendance than hockey.

I am with you on Title IX.  But that doesn't mean that lacrosse is not an option for us.  Get rid of both baseball and softball and replace them with men's and women's lacrosse.  If we can play it indoors (Alerus Center or IPF), we won't have to worry about weather.  It also has a tremendous upside for the future.

Why do you keep saying what I think? I would like to cut baseball and women's hockey and replace both with men's and women's lacrosse. I never said cut all women's sports, or any of them. Just replacing a money draining sport with a cheaper one. Do you Title IX is a good thing as it stands today?

And I keep telling you that baseball and women's hockey are not equal cuts.  To follow Title IX you would have to give a lot more funding and scholarships to women's lacrosse.  Do you think that's going to fly with anyone?  And do you have any proof, any real numbers, that would prove that lacrosse would lose less money?  Women's hockey brings in a little bit of money.  Baseball doesn't.  Do we know how much either men's or women's lacrosse would bring in?  My guess is that you aren't going to bring in any for women's lacrosse (about equal to softball) and probably not much in men's lacrosse, at least for a few years.  There is no history or built in interest for lacrosse in this area.  Plus, I'm guessing that you have no real idea about actual costs for any of the those sports.  So you don't have any actual facts about which are more money draining.

Unfortunately, Title IX is a necessary evil.  I looked a little further and it looks like all women's sports at UND started after Title IX was passed.  I do believe that women should have a similar opportunity to play sports.  Title IX is what has opened up those opportunities.  Without Title IX those opportunities may not exist today.  The opportunities still don't exist on an equal basis at a lot of schools, just look at the numbers of men and women athletes at NDSU.  They have roughly 2 male athletes for every female athlete.  Without Title IX it would be much worse.  So Title IX is still necessary today.

I am with you on Title IX.  But that doesn't mean that lacrosse is not an option for us.  Get rid of both baseball and softball and replace them with men's and women's lacrosse.  If we can play it indoors (Alerus Center or IPF), we won't have to worry about weather.  It also has a tremendous upside for the future.

Baseball and softball make more sense than baseball and women's hockey.  Baseball and softball are popular with students from the playing side, but our weather and the seasons make it difficult to be successful on the field.  If they change the playing season, which is being discussed for baseball, it may make sense to keep them.  Otherwise it may end up making sense to replace them.  Lacrosse does seem to be an up and coming sport and should be looked at if changes are going to be made.

• Upvote 1

For men's lax, UND would almost have to play as an independent. Lax teams often schedule two games over the long weekend, so it would nearly be impossible to schedule except away games. Another regional school like Omaha, UNI, UWGB, or even NDSU would have to start a team at the same time. We aren't getting a Big East (Denver) bid, or Big Ten bid, so we'll just have to watch it grow towards us. Air Force was forced to become an independent this year, and next year will be in the Southern (I think) for lax. Detroit plays in the Metro Atlantic, as there no Midwest or western league outside the Big Ten. Cleveland St is adding it, but the Horizon needs four more teams to sponsor it.

Women's lax is easier to find a spot, but still there's almost no teams around us. Northwestern and Colorado U are the closest teams east and south. Maybe the Mountain Pacific would take us, but it would mean an awful lot of traveling for California teams that would prefer the East Coast for tougher scheduling

Wouldn't we have a conference issue if we dropped softball?

The Big Sky hasn't made it mandatory ... yet. But its probably safe to say they wouldn't be pleased.

Don't imagine that the IPF could be configured for softball? Too narrow? But it certainly wouldn't hurt to have for practices and recruiting.