Women's Hockey

supersioux

Women's Hockey  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is this program going in the right direction

• Yes
    • No

Hockey Mom,

I'm with you. At least have the decency to tell people what it was for. If it was that bad people would probably understand why she was cut. I have to believe that there was a reason but the question is weather it was bad enough to send her packing.

If it was Parise, SOMEBODY WOULD HAVE TO ANSWER the question. I guess that women's hockey can get away with it and not have to answer the question.

The other thing that seems odd to me was the 3rd Goalie played against Wisc. If she hadn't played all year it wouldn't make sense to burn a year of eligibility for one period. That seems very questionable, unless I'm misinformed.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hockey Mom,

I'm with you. At least have the decency to tell people what it was for. If it was that bad people would probably understand why she was cut. I have to believe that there was a reason but the question is weather it was bad enough to send her packing.

If it was Parise, SOMEBODY WOULD HAVE TO ANSWER the question. I guess that women's hockey can get away with it and not have to answer the question.

The other thing that seems odd to me was the 3rd Goalie played against Wisc. If she hadn't played all year it wouldn't make sense to burn a year of eligibility for one period. That seems very questionable, unless I'm misinformed.

To redshirt a year, you have to have notified the NCAA early in the season. I'm assuming that she hadn't, and thus whether she played or not didn't matter towards losing a year of eligibility... she had already lost it.

Also, just ask gopher men's hockey fans what they think about penalties being made public. With all of the bar/underage/booster stuff going on, it seems like fans should never be allowed to know why a player was suspended/cut.

Also, just ask gopher men's hockey fans what they think about penalties being made public. With all of the bar/underage/booster stuff going on, it seems like fans should never be allowed to know why a player was suspended/cut.

I didn't say if it was right or wrong, what I am saying is that if a men's player was not sitting on the bench, or cut from the team, we would all know why.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the minutes from the meeting, obviously the real problem has been lost in translation whether that's on purpose or not who knows... the problem is not "the seniors being upset about not getting enough ice time" and I think that's highlighted by the two girls who have just quit.

That's what I mean, are we any farther along than 3 years ago.....I would say not.

We are a little farther along than we were 3 years ago....we have three seasons under our belt and two seasons as part of the WCHA. But that's the only thing.....apart from the win over Duluth this year.

I took your response to mean that all of the money spent on the program was a waste.......I disagree with that.

I'm really upset about losing a Wooster. The avatar has a stuffed dog named Wooster.....

I don't know if the program can be patient enough for someone to be given two or three more years when you look at this:

2002-3- 10wins

2003-4- 16wins

2004-5- 9wins

2005-6- 7wins

Maybe it's time to pack up and move on.

The women's program is at the very bottom of the barrel. With a roster that on paper would impress any team they had to play, they are definately not performing. Do I blame the girls? Some might, however I don't. The head coach is not qualified, and she does not know what she is doing. The assistant coaches however do. If you speak to Froats or Colontino for 30 seconds you know they have their heads on straight, and know what hockey is all about. If you talk to Rivard, it sounds like she's got a great plan, but has no way to execute it. If anything she's executing players....more players have quit or been cut than have graduated...does this not say anything for the program? Sadly, the "team" that could be made from the players cut/quit would rival the current team right now. How long do we have to go before the head coach is fired? If the players don't respect her, which they don't if you ask ANY of their parents, then how can we as fans respect her? Even when you ask the players if they like it, or if they are having fun, they usually look at one another, as if they are sharing some joke or not sure if their TRUE response will get back to the coach, and say "uh..oh...yeah...um, it's great!" with a fake smile plastered on their face. How are we going to have a good team when the players themselves are telling recruits not to come? How are we going to have a good team when the MEN'S players are telling their little sisters not to come? Say goodbye to the dream of the Lamoureux sisters, they've moved on to greener pastures. If you ask me the women's hockey program is a joke right now. No, I don't think women playing hockey is a joke, but I think something needs to be done with this program for it to contend with the best teams, and it definately has the potential...just get rid of the coach. Some reading this will probably think I'm making outlandish comments that have no base, however, I HAVE talked to the girls in their truest form, and DO know their opinions. These girls aren't bitching and complaining, as they have been accused of doing in the past, they have legitimate complaints...did anyone know that Rivard made them run the 5K in the 2003-2004 season outside...until December...in knee deep snow? That sounds productive, it wasn't until the Track coach stepped in and said that they were packing down the snow that they were allowed to stop. Did anyone else know that the men's team watch their practices and call it "the circus", they think it's a joke, and they say the practice has no structure, and is more entertainment than anything else because it is so ridiculous looking. I'm sorry to rant, but as a parent of a child who looks up to these girls, I am at my wits end with this program. I don't care if they lose every game, I care that they are able to play to their optimum potential...and for the past 3 years, they haven't been, and I don't blame the girls. It'll be interesting to see who quits this year, and what survivors are left to keep the team alive.

I'm not up in GF to experience this myself, though on our last trip for a men's game my buddies and I went and cheered on the women's team. It was a good time. As a Sioux hockey fan, I want to see the men's and women's team succeed.

I have a friend who is fairly close to the women's program and a month ago he was expressing his frustration with the direction things are going under Rivard. The above points are pretty much what he had to say as well. He also predicted several members will be quitting the team, and I see from recent posts that's the case.

Many times in these situations it's just not "the coach" who is the problem, but probably other things. In this case, however, I'd say it doesn't look like the coach is getting the job done.

I think the fact that the girls are dropping like flies should be saying something. Bunning obviously won't listen, or is choosing not too. So here it is for him loud and clear: the seniors on the team WERE NOT complaining about ice time number one. Number two the girls have been trying to fire their coach for the past 2 years, and no one has done anything about it except make remarks such as "they're complaining" or "it's the ones who aren't getting ice time" or "once there is the full 18 scholarships the problems will be solved". My question is how are you going to get to 18 scholarships when there won't be a team to give them to? For once it'd be nice for the administrators to LISTEN to what the girls are telling them, last time I checked a 2-23-2 record in the WCHA isn't just "bitching and complaining". Someone should email this forum to Bunning, so he can get in tune with what's going on in the athletic community.

I don't think it's a matter of airing dirty laundry, but it's more of trying to bring awareness to the problems that are at hand. The reason why I'm so upset about this is that Bunning and others are making false problems, and saying everything can be solved by reaching maximum scholarship, but none of that is the problem at all.