91 members have voted

1. 1. Is this program going in the right direction

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's only the fourth year of the team's existence. I think next year we will be a lot better than this year. I think once we have the same number of scholarships as our opponents, we will be able to compete more. I think people who criticize the coaching and the team have no idea how tough it is to start an NCAA team and have fans expect you to dominate right out of the gate.

You are assuming that all the other teams are fully funded which is not the case. Not everyone has a Ralph either, which should make the startup easiser. I think that we lose some very good seniors and the will have a green goaltender which could be a challenge. I was looking at it from a standpoint of wins the past four years.

2002-3- 10wins

2003-4- 16wins

2004-5- 9wins

2005-6- 7wins

I know that we started the WCHA in 2004-5, but there is no reason to regress while we are getting more funding and further along. We now lose 8 seniors, nine if you count Maggie who was cut only a few days before Senior Day.

I know that there are some good young players but I don't see us going the other direction anytime soon.

You are assuming that all the other teams are fully funded which is not the case. Not everyone has a Ralph either, which should make the startup easiser. I think that we lose some very good seniors and the will have a green goaltender which could be a challenge. I was looking at it from a standpoint of wins the past four years.

2002-3- 10wins

2003-4- 16wins

2004-5- 9wins

2005-6- 7wins

I know that we started the WCHA in 2004-5, but there is no reason to regress while we are getting more funding and further along. We now lose 8 seniors, nine if you count Maggie who was cut only a few days before Senior Day.

I know that there are some good young players but I don't see us going the other direction anytime soon.

top 5 finish next year or time to look for a new coach...nothing against Shantel other than she's produced LESS with more...and that headset using the speaker system at REA is just plain annoying....for visitors ONCE and I can't imagine what the players think...

2002-3- 10wins

2003-4- 16wins

2004-5- 9wins

2005-6- 7wins

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but what happened to Maggie? This cut at this time of the year seems bizzare at the least. What is going on in Women's Hockey? I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me - this has gotten very little press.

For the dollars that this program is costing we should see much better results.

I have a question. How many of you that have voted in this poll have supported the women's team in any capacity?

I think it will be interesting to see what direction the University will be going now that the season has been completed.

I have a question. How many of you that have voted in this poll have supported the women's team in any capacity?

I think it will be interesting to see what direction the University will be going now that the season has been completed.

I haven't voted because I didn't think it would be fair to pass judgement based solely on what I've read on this site, the standings, and the box scores. I didn't get a chance to make it to any women's games this season (I did last season tho).

Personally, I think Women's hockey in general is extremely young as a major collegiate sport. Yeah, despite UMD, UMN, and the ivy league schools' success in the sport, I don't see it as nearly being as developed as it will be in the future. So I guess I just don't have that kind of expectation for the UND women's team. I think we need to go out there and be competitive. I don't believe we have a real shot at anything notorious just yet. I'll give it time.

I think it was a big mistake to delay in starting the program and it may take years to make up the lost ground to the other WCHA programs. UM and UM-D have quickly developed "histories" and have a huge edge in recruiting, and now Wisconsin might be able to step forward and claim a title this year. Had UND gotten in the ground floor conceivably things could be much different.

Also I don't think the Ralph is much of an advantage when it is at best 10% full. In fact, I think on some level the success of the men's team may make recruiting more difficult in that the women's program gets scant media attention. UM-D's success has gotten them a foothold and Minnesota has the same "pride on ice" advantage in keeping the best in-state players.

One surprising thing is that UND hasn't seemed to be able to grab player's a lot of players from western Canada. This is a little surprising with Rivard being from Canada and UND being the western-most program in the country.

I think the key is patience. There was a time when UND women's basketball wasn't very competitive and look at where that program is now.

The program is extremely young, so it's a little silly to start talking about the program going in the wrong direction.

That being said, I am getting a little tired of finishing at the bottom of the league every single year and losing to other teams in the bottom half of the standings in addition to losing to the national powers at the top. And if I hear Rivard talk about how they can't win because "other teams have 'The Olympians' and we don't" one more time, I am going to throw up. That is like Rich Glas of the Men's B-Ball team complaining about how D-II teams can't recruit big guys when almost every good team in the conference has at least one big man, or even two.

Should we expect a conference or national title this soon? No. But if the program doesn't start showing at least some tangible signs of progress in the next couple of years, it might be time for a change at the top. Getting the Lamoreaux sisters to come here could pay immediate dividends and legitimize our program instantly. If not, it could be years and years before it happens. ;)

Having said all of that....Let's keep hope alive!!! :lol:

And if I hear Rivard talk about how they can't win because "other teams have 'The Olympians' and we don't" one more time, I am going to throw up.

No teams had Olympians this year so that shouldn't have been an excuse for not winning. How long of a chance should a coach be given before they are shown the door?

No teams had Olympians this year so that shouldn't have been an excuse for not winning. How long of a chance should a coach be given before they are shown the door?

HockeyMom,

Okay, I stand corrected on this year. But Rivard has used that in the past. I don't think she should get canned now, but if there isn't any progress during the next couple of years (finishing in the top half of the league, for example), then I think it might be time for a change.

Hockey Mom,

I have been to between 6 and 10 home games each of the past two season. I wasn't in GF before that and I am by no means am hockey expert. I would classify myself as a casual sports fan. I will admitt that I did expect more this season. With the olympians gone the difference from top to bottom should be closer. I can only believe that it will widen next year.

Starting a new program can be difficulty but I have to believe that it is easier to sell a new program to recruits than one that is a prenial cellar dwellar, and that is what's happening each year that goes by it is going to be more an more difficult to recruit becuase of the lack of success and the fact the "we are a new program" carries less weight.

But I do have a question for you, "Do you think that next year will be better?" By that I mean will they finish above last place, win more than 7 games and earn more than 6 points in the WCHA?

Someone with power needs to approach the players and ask their opinion. Even the girls that logged significant icetime have some words about Rivard. This program will go nowhere with the players telling the recruits to save themselves the trouble of coming here if Rivard is still coaching.

Someone with power needs to approach the players and ask their opinion. Even the girls that logged significant icetime have some words about Rivard. This program will go nowhere with the players telling the recruits to save themselves the trouble of coming here if Rivard is still coaching.

I do think that this is typical for administrators to do. I would think that this occurs for all sports.

The women's program is at the very bottom of the barrel. With a roster that on paper would impress any team they had to play, they are definately not performing. Do I blame the girls? Some might, however I don't. The head coach is not qualified, and she does not know what she is doing. The assistant coaches however do. If you speak to Froats or Colontino for 30 seconds you know they have their heads on straight, and know what hockey is all about. If you talk to Rivard, it sounds like she's got a great plan, but has no way to execute it. If anything she's executing players....more players have quit or been cut than have graduated...does this not say anything for the program? Sadly, the "team" that could be made from the players cut/quit would rival the current team right now. How long do we have to go before the head coach is fired? If the players don't respect her, which they don't if you ask ANY of their parents, then how can we as fans respect her? Even when you ask the players if they like it, or if they are having fun, they usually look at one another, as if they are sharing some joke or not sure if their TRUE response will get back to the coach, and say "uh..oh...yeah...um, it's great!" with a fake smile plastered on their face. How are we going to have a good team when the players themselves are telling recruits not to come? How are we going to have a good team when the MEN'S players are telling their little sisters not to come? Say goodbye to the dream of the Lamoureux sisters, they've moved on to greener pastures. If you ask me the women's hockey program is a joke right now. No, I don't think women playing hockey is a joke, but I think something needs to be done with this program for it to contend with the best teams, and it definately has the potential...just get rid of the coach. Some reading this will probably think I'm making outlandish comments that have no base, however, I HAVE talked to the girls in their truest form, and DO know their opinions. These girls aren't bitching and complaining, as they have been accused of doing in the past, they have legitimate complaints...did anyone know that Rivard made them run the 5K in the 2003-2004 season outside...until December...in knee deep snow? That sounds productive, it wasn't until the Track coach stepped in and said that they were packing down the snow that they were allowed to stop. Did anyone else know that the men's team watch their practices and call it "the circus", they think it's a joke, and they say the practice has no structure, and is more entertainment than anything else because it is so ridiculous looking. I'm sorry to rant, but as a parent of a child who looks up to these girls, I am at my wits end with this program. I don't care if they lose every game, I care that they are able to play to their optimum potential...and for the past 3 years, they haven't been, and I don't blame the girls. It'll be interesting to see who quits this year, and what survivors are left to keep the team alive.

The women's program is at the very bottom of the barrel. With a roster that on paper would impress any team they had to play, they are definately not performing. Do I blame the girls? Some might, however I don't. The head coach is not qualified, and she does not know what she is doing. The assistant coaches however do. If you speak to Froats or Colontino for 30 seconds you know they have their heads on straight, and know what hockey is all about. If you talk to Rivard, it sounds like she's got a great plan, but has no way to execute it. If anything she's executing players....more players have quit or been cut than have graduated...does this not say anything for the program? Sadly, the "team" that could be made from the players cut/quit would rival the current team right now. How long do we have to go before the head coach is fired? If the players don't respect her, which they don't if you ask ANY of their parents, then how can we as fans respect her? Even when you ask the players if they like it, or if they are having fun, they usually look at one another, as if they are sharing some joke or not sure if their TRUE response will get back to the coach, and say "uh..oh...yeah...um, it's great!" with a fake smile plastered on their face. How are we going to have a good team when the players themselves are telling recruits not to come? How are we going to have a good team when the MEN'S players are telling their little sisters not to come? Say goodbye to the dream of the Lamoureux sisters, they've moved on to greener pastures. If you ask me the women's hockey program is a joke right now. No, I don't think women playing hockey is a joke, but I think something needs to be done with this program for it to contend with the best teams, and it definately has the potential...just get rid of the coach. Some reading this will probably think I'm making outlandish comments that have no base, however, I HAVE talked to the girls in their truest form, and DO know their opinions. These girls aren't bitching and complaining, as they have been accused of doing in the past, they have legitimate complaints...did anyone know that Rivard made them run the 5K in the 2003-2004 season outside...until December...in knee deep snow? That sounds productive, it wasn't until the Track coach stepped in and said that they were packing down the snow that they were allowed to stop. Did anyone else know that the men's team watch their practices and call it "the circus", they think it's a joke, and they say the practice has no structure, and is more entertainment than anything else because it is so ridiculous looking. I'm sorry to rant, but as a parent of a child who looks up to these girls, I am at my wits end with this program. I don't care if they lose every game, I care that they are able to play to their optimum potential...and for the past 3 years, they haven't been, and I don't blame the girls. It'll be interesting to see who quits this year, and what survivors are left to keep the team alive.
Interesting. On USCHO, a number of UM women's hockey fans have been rather constructively critical of UND's coaching capabilities and would probably agree with your gameplan execution issues.

So what greener pastures will the Lamoureux sister's moving on to? They're only be juniors at Shattuck next year, right?

Well said.

Siouxfan44 makes some very good points, but I don't agree with a few comments. Regarding the girls that were cut being able to rival the current team, well that's a slap in the face to the girls who are currently playing. You have to remember that most of the first and second year teams were walk-ons, and I can see the hard feelings that would happen because of money and lets face it - skill. Yes, more have been cut but would most of those girls ever gotten a chance to play D1 hockey anywhere else other than a team that had just started up and had limited scholarships. I know of two girls that NEVER should have been cut that are both D1 material, but can honestly think of no others.

Also, playing D1 hockey you would expect a certain standard of physical fitness to be attained by the student/athletes. They all knew that they had to run the 5K at the start of Sept. How many actually came in shape and how many didn't. They were told they had to keep attempting the 5K, (once a week I think) until they could. Should they not have been able to right from the start - if they were committed athletes?

I whole-heartedly agree with everything else on the post. I have to wonder, would the university take action in any other sport after such a poor showing? I can't see it.

Another thing that makes me think that they just don't care what happens with the team is they haven't kept any stats on the fightingsioux.com website. Yes I know you can some stats on the collegehockeystats.com site, but they haven't got the category leaders, plus/minuses...

Oh no, now I've started!! And let's cut our starting goalie just before Senior's Night, and just before we have our first round of playoffs. And just to cut the other leg off their players, instead of flying to Wisconsin for that series...let's drive, because the coach can't fly in her last trimester of her pregnancy!! You think the girls will be tired from the drive...oh well that's okay, we don't expect to win anyway!

End of rant!

Don't know anything about the coach, or the players currently. I do know of a Shattuck recruit who for two years wanted to come here (because of our Men's tradition and the Ralph) but did a 180 after her trip here and went somewhere else. Was it what players told her or something else? I don't know that part.

We seem to be spinning our wheels in the program, though, and sometimes that means a change would be good. I certainly would not give her more than two more years to get into the top half of WCHA, that would be six recruiting classes.

Oh no, now I've started!! And let's cut our starting goalie just before Senior's Night, and just before we have our first round of playoffs.

What was that all about anyway?

You think the girls will be tired from the drive...oh well that's okay, we don't expect to win anyway!

End of rant!

I hope no one really thought that.

Ok, I have a question. Why is their so much secrecy in the women's program? If Jordan Parise was let go from the men's team- or any other men's player for that matter- everyone would know why, before it happened.

How come two of the seniors were left out on senior day? To me, it's just not right. You spend four years working your butt off for a team and all of a sudden you are just gone.

This is just speculation, but if it was a disciplinary reason, could it have been so bad that you couldn't tell your players, you're done for the season, but you will dress for senior day because of all that you have given to this program over the last four seasons?