106 members have voted

1. 1. What do Sioux Fans Think?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody else heard anything about whether Rich is staying or going? If it's true that he's staying for at least one more year, I don't think I will be attending any men's games next year, even though I'll have season tickets since you can't drop men's but keep women's. I just can't take the frustration anymore. If the administration doesn't care how the men's team does, why should the fans? :silly:

Someone should point this poll to Buning. Over 80% of the programs biggest fans want him gone.

with a fairly large sample size.

The (mass) exodus after the womens. Someone should take a hint.

I have a question, does Buning know there are fans unhappy or does he surround himself with fans and people employed by UND who will always paint a good picture about our men's program and Rich?

I have a question, does Buning know there are fans unhappy or does he surround himself with fans and people employed by UND who will always paint a good picture about our men's program and Rich?

I'm pretty sure he knows how unpopular Glas is as a basketball coach. It would be tough to ignore all the people leaving immediately after the women's games. The only thing I can assume is that he's so convinced that he has to to wait until the dI issue is decided to make a coaching change that he's willing to throw next season under the proverbial bus. And if that's what he's decided, I can't say that I'm too impressed with our new leader. I don't believe we're going to do better than Craig Smith or Brad Huse, and I have to believe both would be very interested in the job regardless of whether it's dI or dII. And either would be a huge improvement over Glas (and Herbst, who in my opinion has been a terrible assistant coach).

The only thing I can assume is that he's so convinced that he has to to wait until the dI issue is decided to make a coaching change that he's willing to throw next season under the proverbial bus. And if that's what he's decided, I can't say that I'm too impressed with our new leader. I don't believe we're going to do better than Craig Smith or Brad Huse, and I have to believe both would be very interested in the job regardless of whether it's dI or dII. And either would be a huge improvement over Glas (and Herbst, who in my opinion has been a terrible assistant coach).

Would agree that the DI issue is a major factor in the timing of a coaching change. If UND announces DI intentions in May, the pool of candidates may be much larger. DI assistants or established DII coaches that never would have considered UND otherwise may now be interested. It would still be a tough position, as few prospective coaches relish the possibility of going through the transition, especially if no conference is available.

If UND went DI, it would also be very unusual to hire a coach directly from the NAIA or JC ranks. Even DII coaches get few opportunities to jump to the even mid-level DI ranks unless they have previously been DI assistants or showed unusual ability at a high DII level (i.e. McDermott, Giacoletti). Even Miles wasn't able to move directly from NAIA D2 Mayville St to a then high DII level NDSU - he had to first put a stint in at SW Minn St.

Still, wouldn't mind having Craig Smith at UND, especially considering what he's done at Mayville St, which is now in the Elite Eight.

From what I have heard, Glas does not like to recruit bball players. It makes him uncomfortable. From what I have watched winning makes Glas uncomfortable as well. As a part of the alumni of UND, I would think that some are letting Bunning know that it is time for Glas to leave. With his son graduated and gone, I hope this is what happens. He and is family are very nice people and I hope all the best for them, but his coaching skills lack, his teams talent potental is never met (NBA player=no championships at UND), and people leave when his team hits the court. Oh, and who recruits a kid that is 6'6" and can't post up, oh we do!

Would agree that the DI issue is a major factor in the timing of a coaching change. If UND announces DI intentions in May, the pool of candidates may be much larger. DI assistants or established DII coaches that never would have considered UND otherwise may now be interested. It would still be a tough position, as few prospective coaches relish the possibility of going through the transition, especially if no conference is available.

If UND went DI, it would also be very unusual to hire a coach directly from the NAIA or JC ranks. Even DII coaches get few opportunities to jump to the even mid-level DI ranks unless they have previously been DI assistants or showed unusual ability at a high DII level (i.e. McDermott, Giacoletti). Even Miles wasn't able to move directly from NAIA D2 Mayville St to a then high DII level NDSU - he had to first put a stint in at SW Minn St.

Still, wouldn't mind having Craig Smith at UND, especially considering what he's done at Mayville St, which is now in the Elite Eight.

It would be unusual to hire a coach from the NAIA or juco ranks, but that would really only be an issue for Smith. Huse is already a dI assistant, and rumor has it he's interested in the job. Whether he's only interested in it should UND go dI, I don't know. The bottom line to me is that sometimes you have to make decisions that aren't ideal in terms of timing, but that can't be avoided. To me, anything is preferable to having the current regime back next season.

Please feel free to contact Gary Waters. He will be available once we get knocked out of the NIT. After making $5000,000 a year the last five years, he was asked to resign and has been given a $1,000,000 going away gift. In the past five years, Rutgers did not make the NCAA's, had a 5-35 road record, and our coach did not establish any relationships with coaches at the top New Jersey high school teams. In college, you have to be able to recruit very good players and you have to have good relationshships with high school coaches.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a Reusse column on Minnesota a.d. Joel Maturi's curious decision to retain Dan Monson despite heavy pressure from fans and alums to fire him after several sub-par seasons in a row. link. While the circumstances aren't identical to the UND situation, there are a number of parallels.

Don't can't our Glass just yet, I'm hearing of some nice recruits who are seriously considering UND. A division I transfer and some immidiate Juco help. If these recruits come and UND can stay healthy should be a pretty big turn around in my opinion.

Please feel free to contact Gary Waters. He will be available once we get knocked out of the NIT. After making $5000,000 a year the last five years, he was asked to resign and has been given a $1,000,000 going away gift. In the past five years, Rutgers did not make the NCAA's, had a 5-35 road record, and our coach did not establish any relationships with coaches at the top New Jersey high school teams. In college, you have to be able to recruit very good players and you have to have good relationshships with high school coaches.

Don't can't our Glass just yet, I'm hearing of some nice recruits who are seriously considering UND. A division I transfer and some immidiate Juco help. If these recruits come and UND can stay healthy should be a pretty big turn around in my opinion.

Winona State won the D2 title. Where did they get those kids and how did UND and the NCC or even NDSU miss on those kids.

and they have about 6 full rides. Amazing that Winona State won the whole thing

Winona is practically team Wisconsin! They did a great job recruiting the talent from Wisconsin that didn't want to play DIII, but wasn't good enough for DI. They were not the most athletic team yesterday but they sure played great basketball! Congrats to the Warriors and the NSIC.

Getting talent and developing/utilizing it are two very different things. UND has had at least a couple of very talented teams in the post-Mac era, but not much to show for it. 20-22 wins and a 3rd or 4th place finish in the NCC seems to be about the ceiling for a Rich Glas team without Greg McDermott on the staff.

Illinois State transfer to UND?

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/03...orts/110359.txt

Kruse, a junior college transfer from North Dakota State College of Science, played in 11 games. He averaged five minutes per contest, 2.2 points and 0.7 rebounds.

The 6-foot-7 forward, who hails from St. Cloud, Minn., has been in contact with the University of North Dakota, South Dakota and St. Cloud State.

"Right now, I'm probably leaning toward North Dakota," said Kruse. "I know the program and one of my best friends from junior college is going to sign with them. And it's only about three hours from home."

I'll go out on a limb and guess the best friend from NDSCS is Thomas Dryburgh.

Correct. Verbals from Dryburgh and Kruse yesterday. Both players are versatile and address team needs. Hopefully more good news to come in the next few weeks. Kruse was the leading scorer for Science 2 years ago and lead the JUCO national tourney in scoring as well.

Verbals from Dryburgh and Kruse yesterday. Both players are versatile and address team needs. Hopefully more good news to come in the next few weeks. Kruse was the leading scorer for Science 2 years ago and lead the JUCO national tourney in scoring as well.

I believe Kruse was a pretty sought-after prospect a year ago. Any idea why things didn't work out for him at Illinois State?

I believe Kruse was a pretty sought-after prospect a year ago. Any idea why things didn't work out for him at Illinois State?

I was told he just didn't fit into what they were trying to do offensively, which is really push the ball and that really backfired on them as Ill St was last in the league in shooting, FT%, 3 PT%, everything. He had no character issues though, and that is always good to hear. He also put up solid rebounding numbers at Science, so he should help on the boards, as will Dryburgh.

Well I didn't know it would get out very this quick, but yes Mark and Thomas both verballed to UND. Thomas had lots of D1's pursuing him and is a great young man and Mark is amazing. Not only did Mark lead the NJCAA national tournament in scoring (when NDSCS finished 7th in the country) but also pulled down nine rebounds a game and was named to the all tournament team. I have had two NBA scouts say Mark would have a chance at the league some day with has athletisism. Mark has unbelievable range from the outside and can dunk on it anywhere close to the rim. If he is close to the basket his will try to dunk it bottom line. He has many D1 offers and choose Illinois State because he had a very good visit. There was no problem offensively, he just stuggled on the defensive end.

Like I said earlier, don't count out Glass yet, he is still after two more players that would also make an immidiate impact.

Oh I forgot to mention, Don't think juco players at Science can make a difference for your program? Ask NDSU what a different ball team they are now that Andre Smith decided to go there. He is like a man playing with a bunch of boys in the post at that level.

I was told he just didn't fit into what they were trying to do offensively, which is really push the ball and that really backfired on them as Ill St was last in the league in shooting, FT%, 3 PT%, everything. He had no character issues though, and that is always good to hear. He also put up solid rebounding numbers at Science, so he should help on the boards, as will Dryburgh.

As noted above, there are 2-3 other JC ball players who have UND high on their list. We have room for five additions as Blackwell, Wills and Probst will not be back. It sounds like Koenig is healing up well.

Why won't those three be back, players or coaches decision?