106 members have voted

1. 1. What do Sioux Fans Think?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a topic that is allowed to be discussed with more than two people present in the room? It seemed to be taboo last time it was raised.

I think it would be a shame if it wasn't discussed. To pretend things are fine with the men's basketball program right now would require somebody to be in complete and total denial. If Rich can't see that he should voluntarily step down, then he's the one in denial. 11 years in a row without so much as a top-2 finish in the NCC is more than enough to justify a change, with this past season being the last straw.

The question doesn't tie real well to the polling options. I voted yes in support of Rich stepping down. I think he was a pretty good coach at one time, and I expect he knows that it is now time to move on to other options if they exist. If he doesn't resign, then, and only then, do I think it would be appropriate to fire him. I would give him about 30 to 45 days before I would pull the trigger!!!

I think that it needs to happen, although for me that is nothing new as I have thought that for a few years. I don't really care if he resigns, is fired or any other way of being gone as long as he is just that...GONE, and soon, PLEASE!!!

The phrases "the shots just didn't fall", "So-and-so just didn't hit his shots", and "we just couldn't get the shots to fall" seem to be 90% of Glas' statements during any interview. From other coaches I often hear statements like "we didn't make the proper adjustments" that downplay bad-luck and deflect away criticism from the players and direct it on to the coaching staff. Glas ' seemingly respectful but really manipulative way of assigning blame elsewhere has finally irritated me enough with the men's program so that I will choose to not follow them now with him as the coach. Contrasting Glas statements after a BB loss with Lennon's statements after a football loss really speaks volumes in the difference in basic coaching philosophy.

Because of his longevity - he deserves the courtesy of being offered the opportunity to "retire"...but if he doesn't want to go...he needs to be shown the door. Here's one reason...he's totally bailed out on recruiting...

AS AN EXAMPLE...I was at the EDC tourney tonight and saw Randall H. walking around checking out a few prospects. You'd think if there were a couple serious UND recruits at that tourney...the head coach could have made an appearance :blink: This is not an isolated example...I have more corroborating evidence to back this pattern up if anyone's interested...

Because of his longevity - he deserves the courtesy of being offered the opportunity to "retire"...but if he doesn't want to go...he needs to be shown the door. Here's one reason...he's totally bailed out on recruiting...

AS AN EXAMPLE...I was at the EDC tourney tonight and saw Randall H. walking around checking out a few prospects. You'd think if there were a couple serious UND recruits at that tourney...the head coach could have made an appearance :blink: This is not an isolated example...I have more corroborating evidence to back this pattern up if anyone's interested...

Glas actually did make at least a cameo appearance last night, as I was sitting right in front of him during the RR-South game.

On another note, while I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, I'm surprised that as many as 5 people (so far) have voted for Glas to stay. I assume those people also feel that Dave Gunther got the short end of the stick, as he was forced out after six sub-par seasons, which is far fewer than what Glas has had. And of course, had Gunther not been forced out, Glas would probably have never gotten the UND job. Ironic, isn't it?

The phrases "the shots just didn't fall", "So-and-so just didn't hit his shots", and "we just couldn't get the shots to fall" seem to be 90% of Glas' statements during any interview. From other coaches I often hear statements like "we didn't make the proper adjustments" that downplay bad-luck and deflect away criticism from the players and direct it on to the coaching staff. Glas ' seemingly respectful but really manipulative way of assigning blame elsewhere has finally irritated me enough with the men's program so that I will choose to not follow them now with him as the coach. Contrasting Glas statements after a BB loss with Lennon's statements after a football loss really speaks volumes in the difference in basic coaching philosophy.

Another common Richie quote/story/excuse is when the other team has a nobody "step up" out of nowhere, it seems a non-scorer is always coming up with a big game of 15-20 pts against the men. Well Richie, why aren't you stopping him and how come UND never has someone do it themselves?

I also would like to know the reasoning behind the 6 votes for Glas...does he have a lifelong pass with some people?

I also would like to know the reasoning behind the 6 votes for Glas...does he have a lifelong pass with some people?

It's tough -- it kind of makes me think back to Gasparini. Glas was a great coach who has done a lot for UND and comes from an era where being a good guy and having some long-term success lets you have a long-term coaching job at a small school. However, UND is becoming not such a small school and that era is fading... realistic or not, year-in-year-out results are the new demand.

It's tough -- it kind of makes me think back to Gasparini. Glas was a great coach who has done a lot for UND and comes from an era where being a good guy and having some long-term success lets you have a long-term coaching job at a small school. However, UND is becoming not such a small school and that era is fading... realistic or not, year-in-year-out results are the new demand.

But have things really changed that much? Again, I bring up the name Dave Gunther. I'm not saying it was a mistake to have forced him out, but if anybody had earned the right to go out on his own terms, it was Gunther. I see absolutely no reason why Glas has gotten so much more leeway, except for the fact that former a.d.'s Gino and probably Wanless were more willing to pull the trigger than RT was. Time will tell as to whether Buning will do what so obviously needs to be done.

I, too, was a little disappointed that Dave Gunther was forced out the way he was. But in retrospect and reviewing the records, it was probably time.

Gunther's record at least included better competition, although not with great success. During his tenure, there were probably 15-20 D-I opponents--Minnesota 5 times, Villanova, Gonzaga, Colorado, New Mexico, and Pacific to name a few. There were even occasional wins, Creighton, San Jose State, Pacific, to again name a few. During his 18 years, the Sioux only played like 6 or 7 times against DAC teams, winning them all. He never won the big one and was going downhill, so the time was right.

Glas, on the other hand, has lost to teams in the DAC very conspicuously. In the last 5 years, he has lost to Crookston, Minot, and Mary by 32 points. This year alone the record agains these teams was and OT win against Valley City, a nine point win against Crookston, a six point win over Mary and losses to Mayville and Minot.

The only big time competition Glas has ever faced was against Kansas twice, and those were courtesies to Jeff Boschee and not any doing of Glas.

He has had the talent. Early on he took two teams to the Elite 8 with teams that should have won it all. He lost big leads by being outcoached and sat on the sidelines for the championship games. That was 15 years ago. What has he done lately?? Only lose very embarrassingly to teams we shouldn't even be playing.

The time is right for Glas--a change is needed.

Interesting comparision! When Gino was shown the door...there were HUGE howls of protest...threatened boycotts et al...but does anyone regret hiring DeanB to succeed Gino? Ginos time was just over...

Rich not going on the recruiting trail has been going on for awhile. If you were deciding between UND and Northern State and their Head Coach took the time to make a visit where would you be more tempted to go. I'd say we have lost more than a few recruits faced with that scenario.

I was listening to a talk show in Fargo this morning and they were going to talk to Tim Miles. It seems he was out of town "probably recruiting" the annoucer said. Glas needs to get busy if he wants to keep his job for very long.

Rich not going on the recruiting trail has been going on for awhile. If you were deciding between UND and Northern State and their Head Coach took the time to make a visit where would you be more tempted to go. I'd say we have lost more than a few recruits faced with that scenario.

I was listening to a talk show in Fargo this morning and they were going to talk to Tim Miles. It seems he was out of town "probably recruiting" the annoucer said. Glas needs to get busy if he wants to keep his job for very long.

at least Rich spawns success :lol: Greg de MAC will be getting $350,000 by '08 at UNI according to the paper...."private donations" kept him at UNI (and good for them to recognize a real winner!)

Anyone want to kick in to keep "THE REV" at UND?? (....crickets chirping....) holding the cup out!....ANYONE??.... ;)

I voted yes, it's time for Glas to go. I think Buning should offer him an administrative job if he steps down on his own. Otherwise, tell him to clean out his office and hire some new blood.

One thing I am tired of hearing from Glas is that he just can't recruit big guys to his program. Then, we'll get the crap beat out of us by a big man in the paint and lose. It seems that all the good programs in the NCC can get big guys, except for UND.

It's time for a change.

I voted no because I find it rather amusing when UND loses to a DAC 10 team - don't want it to stop.

That's about what I figured. I suspect all but perhaps one or two of the "no" votes were by fans of other schools who have a vested interest in UND retaining the status quo.

With the family thing (grandkid?) and a son potentially in the NFL next year, (along with many fans who've lost all trust in him) I see him pulling the plug in a timely manner. After all, he's now the all-time winningest coach... seems to me like all capable missions are accomplished.

In his weekly on-air interviews with Tim & Swyg, it's fairly obvious that he's seen the writing on the wall. For his reputation's sake, I hope he's read it carefully. ;)