SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA What-If script

UMich_Eric

Just found your site. The WCHA What-If script is a pretty neat tool. Is that a custom script? If so, is there any chance that you'd be willing to give up the source code? I'd like to use it (with a few minor changes (minor like replacing the WCHA schedule with the CCHA)) on my site, umhockey.com (of course, credit to you guys would be given on the page)

(Right now I've got an Excel spreadsheet file for playing "What-If" with the CCHA, but a web version would be cool)

Thanks

Eric

The tricky part is that it's pretty integrated into the rest of the site. A PHP script reads the site's season database to determine what conference games each team has played, the results of those games, and what games are remaining. From that data it's able to calculate the current Pts, GP, and generate the team tables of remaining games. The PHP script spits out the page that you see when you view the page source.

As users predict game outcomes, the JavaScript within the page scans the team tables to update the Pts and GP in the standings table. However, without the base Pts, GP, and regenerated team tables each week as spit out by the PHP script, it would be reasonably useless.

That said, I'm always glad to give further technical info to anyone interested.

I'd be interested in seeing the code behind it. I imagine that even with the DB integration, it would be possible to convert it to work with my site, it's just a question of how long it would take to do that, and do I have enough free time.

If you'd rather take this to email, that's fine.