SiouxSports.com Forum

Zaundra Bina out at NDSU Volleyball

The Sicatoka

From: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...0&ATCLID=227386

Citing fundamental differences in coaching philosophies, North Dakota State University Director of Women's Athletics Lynn Dorn announced that she has accepted the resignation of head volleyball coach Bina. Coach Bina will step down immediately rather than continuing to serve until June 30, 2006. ...

"In accepting Coach Bina's resignation," said Dorn, "I recognize underlying fundamental philosophical differences were not being resolved. And that it would be in the best interest of Coach Bina, our student-athletes and Bison athletics to make a change."

What "fundamental philosophical differences" could be so strong, after 11 years in the job, that a coach with that record would resign?

Somebody's going to pick up a pretty solid volleyball coach.

she didn't "resign"...she was fired. Coaches who resign are usually willing to explain why - she had no comment - that speaks volumes.

Perhaps the "fundamental differences" might have something to do with 'su going from a National DII VB Power to a di laughingstock (5-31 this last season). Scholarship diversion???...interesting :lol:

she didn't "resign"...she was fired. Coaches who resign are usually willing to explain why - she had no comment - that speaks volumes.

Perhaps the "fundamental differences" might have something to do with 'su going from a National DII VB Power to a di laughingstock (5-31 this last season). Scholarship diversion???...interesting :lol:

What would that make the UND volleyball team then? They have alway been a dii laughingstock. ???:sad:

With NDSU putting money into the BSA that tells me that there isn't a new arena on their short-term or mid-term horizons.

That means that Bina's team, oops, sorry, formerly Bina's team, stays in the Benson-Bunker Fieldhouse for the foreseeable. Yeah, renovated locker rooms, but it's still what it is (and that's not very good, especially if there's a chance you'd have to start recruiting against The Betty as a home court).

With NDSU putting money into the BSA that tells me that there isn't a new arena on their short-term or mid-term horizons.

That means that Bina's team, oops, sorry, formerly Bina's team, stays in the Benson-Bunker Fieldhouse for the foreseeable. Yeah, renovated locker rooms, but it's still what it is (and that's not very good, especially if there's a chance you'd have to start recruiting against The Betty as a home court).

What world do you live in? DI volleyball doesn't recruit against dii volleyball, especially the quality of UND's volleyball teams.

What world do you live in? DI volleyball doesn't recruit against dii volleyball, especially the quality of UND's volleyball teams.

WHOOSH!!!

I may be wrong, but it seems that The Sicatoka is inferring that The Betty would some day be a home court for a D-I volleyball program just down the road.

No one even brought up UND in this thread until YOU did. :lol:

I am guessing that she had a confrontation that ended with the words, "if you don't like it here, then feel free to resign". That being said she did. Coach Bina is a great coach and I think that NDSU just missed the boat. Coach Bruggeman, until recently, didn't have the history of success or facilities to work with. I wonder if that didn't play a factor or the Division I and lack of success at that level caused the rift. Either way, NDSU lost one of their most successful coaches, including Bucky, Larson and Ruley.

Story I'm getting is she would have been fired the day after she resigned - like you needed to be told that. I'm also hearing it was parental pressure, mostly from a setter's parents and a hitter-turned-setter's parents. If you know the program you can do the math. Take this for what's it's worth but my source is in REAL tight with the program.

Zaundra could be intense but she ran a good program. Thought she was very classy when UND finally beat the Bison at the Hyslop although the same couldn't be said for her assitant at that time. I think NDSU did her next school a favor.

Story I'm getting is she would have been fired the day after she resigned - like you needed to be told that. I'm also hearing it was parental pressure, mostly from a setter's parents and a hitter-turned-setter's parents. If you know the program you can do the math. Take this for what's it's worth but my source is in REAL tight with the program.

Zaundra could be intense but she ran a good program. Thought she was very classy when UND finally beat the Bison at the Hyslop although the same couldn't be said for her assitant at that time. I think NDSU did her next school a favor.

Since you brought it up, do you really think "Sheila Parish's" parents could really have any power in getting Bina to lose her job? Get real! This isn't highschool sports anymore where parents actually have say in who's going to be the coach. If your source was real tight within the program then, why don't you say it then? Seems pretty sad to make a comment like that and not back it up. Otherwise, all it turns into is a he said she said situation. A good place to leave it at is Z Bina was a class act and it is a sad day to see her leave.

QUOTE(Bison Dan @ Jan 26 2006, 09:28 AM)

QUOTE(The Sicatoka @ Jan 26 2006, 08:09 AM)

See above for reading comprehension help. (Clayton Hoyt didn't need the help.)

Let's be honest, the Sioux would have likely beaten the Bison this year. The Bison were a struggling program and the Sioux just missed the DII regionals. That being said, I would hardly fault Coach Bina for that, rather poor assistant coaches in the recruiting process and significant injuries to their starting roster.

It's not like either team lost to Mayville!

I'm going to wade in here cause I'm interested in the subject matter and the people involved.

Obviously, Bina was asked to resign or risk being fired. That's been Dorn's M.O. for a number of years. Look at the departure of the first two soccer coaches and the former women's track coach. (I'd throw in the former softball coach but he resigned, rather than be fired, for propositioning a player after he'd had a little too much to drink.)

I'm not sure whether one of the "philosophical differences" was what to do about the quality of the assistants (if your recruiting drops off it's the first place to look), the number of assistants, renovations to the BSA, upgrades to the ancient BBF or what but Lynn Dorn is a very opinionated person and it's not too hard to have philospohical differences with that woman.

As for whether Sheila Parrish's parents would carry that much influence and weight? Oh ya, they would. And not because they're Sheila's parents but becuase they're calling Lynn. Lynn doesn't like to have her phone ring about any of the minor sports.

A source told me that the Fargo Forum was going to do a follow-up on the situation but as of today there hasn't been anything. McFeely had something today (2/7/06) about the women's basketball team not living up to expectations and I thought that would have been a natural for a segue into talking about the VB situation.

So, ya, the situation reeks but it's not like it's the first time that the Bison have dropped a big turd in public.

I was kind of expecting Bruggeman's resignation ever since her husband got the job at Northern Arizona last fall. It seemed inevitable. If I were Buning, I'd hire Bina in a minute, unless there was a lot more to her "resignation" than just not getting along with Dorn and some parents.

Attitude problem? In this thread, it says that where? I suppose she's "defensively lacking", too... :lol:

I guess I thought that attitude would lead those parents to want her to be fired? I mean, I've yet to meet anyone pleasant to be around that I wanted fired. Before you jump on me again, Clayton, I know she resigned. But the PARENTS of those players wanted her to be fired.

And I didn't make up the "Defensive liability" talk either. I just went with what a scout (meaning someone that evaluates talent for a living) said.

Just another note about the new UND VB coaching opening:

UND's senior womens administrator, Betty Ralston, was a decorated volleyball coach before going into athletic administration at Eastern Illinois.

I'm sure UND will be able to find a volleyball coach willing to coach in and recruit to The Betty.

There's your first mistake. Remember what happens when one "assumes".

I made an assumption that there were parents on the team that wanted Bina fired. I made this assumption by reading other posts on this thread. So, I think I'm wrong and so are many others?

I'll repeat myself. I've yet to meet anyone in a professional capacity that was deemed competant, a nice person, and responsible by the bosses that had parents or clients that wanted them fired.

I made an assumption that there were parents on the team that wanted Bina fired. I made this assumption by reading other posts on this thread. So, I think I'm wrong and so are many others?

No, your assumption was that she has an "attitude problem" because some parents wanted her fired. Pretty tough to make that leap, especially since you probably wouldn't even recognize her if you walked past her on a sidewalk.

I'll repeat myself. I've yet to meet anyone in a professional capacity that was deemed competant, a nice person, and responsible by the bosses that had parents or clients that wanted them fired.

You've learned this in how many years out in the real world? Good luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...