SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

What about Chris Davis Assistant Coach at Drake University (No relationship to HC Dr. Tom Davis). I think He would be a great fit as UND moves to D1 status. He has recuited D1 players and coached at the D2 and D1 level with much success.

I must have missed the announcement?!?!...again my computer was down so would somebody please morse code me the news.

Thank you,

ESPNInsider

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may, a little history here from the Fighting Sioux hockey team. In 1978, after years of poor Fighting Sioux hockey teams, coach Rube Bjorkman finally left. UND interviewed a number of candidates for the job, including Ned Harkness. Harkness was the winningest active college hockey coach at the time, having won national championships. In the end, UND chose Gino Gasparini, one of Rube's assistants. Great gnashing of teeth, public outcry, and bedlam ensued. Rob Leer, local sportscaster, even tore up his Sioux press pass on the air (it cost him his job). What happened? With basically the same team, Gino took the Sioux to the Final Four, losing the championship game to Minnesota in 1979. In 1980, the Sioux won it all, and again in 1982, and 1987. Sometimes the great candidate is the one already there, who isn't allowed to shine until the head coach is gone.

I am not even going to begin to suggest who should get the position, should it open up. Just a suggestion that the best candidate is sometimes already in place. Whaterever happens, "GO SIOUX."

If I may, a little history here from the Fighting Sioux hockey team. In 1978, after years of poor Fighting Sioux hockey teams, coach Rube Bjorkman finally left. UND interviewed a number of candidates for the job, including Ned Harkness. Harkness was the winningest active college hockey coach at the time, having won national championships. In the end, UND chose Gino Gasparini, one of Rube's assistants. Great gnashing of teeth, public outcry, and bedlam ensued. Rob Leer, local sportscaster, even tore up his Sioux press pass on the air (it cost him his job). What happened? With basically the same team, Gino took the Sioux to the Final Four, losing the championship game to Minnesota in 1979. In 1980, the Sioux won it all, and again in 1982, and 1987. Sometimes the great candidate is the one already there, who isn't allowed to shine until the head coach is gone.

But then again if Harkness was hired he could have won that championship in '79,'80,82,85,87, and then have been competitive in the early 90's unlike Gino.

Just because Gino was successful doesn't mean he was necessarily the "right" hire.

If's and Buts.

But then again if Harkness was hired he could have won that championship in '79,'80,82,85,87, and then have been competitive in the early 90's unlike Gino.

Just because Gino was successful doesn't mean he was necessarily the "right" hire.

If's and Buts.

And, it is possible that if Harkness had been hired the program would have as little success as it did during the Rube Bjorkman era. There is no way to predict what "could have happened".

If Glas leaves, which looks probable, we should do a thorough national search. Let everyone that is interested put in an application and we can hire the best coach for our situation. UND should be a great draw as either a DII program with great potential or an entry level DI program.

I don't follow the basketball teams closely enough to give an opinion on Herbst either way. If he is interested in the job he could apply during the national search. Then we trust the search committee and the AD. That is part of Buning's job. All we can do is hope they find a coach that is a good fit for the program and a coach that will have more success than the program has had in recent years.

Wayne Nelson article on the state of flux the UND men's basketball program is in: link. IMO, this article is far too pro-Herbst. But then again, Nelson's track record is that he rarely, if ever, writes anything which could be construed as negative about a UND coach, regardless of whether it's the head coach or an assistant. It was mentioned in the article about the need to sign several juco transfers and how that's a key to the fortunes of the team next year. But why is it that we're in that position now? Could it be because of poor recruiting the past 3-4 years?

One other point about Nelson's article from the Sunday paper: why does he seem to indicate that the reason people are so down on the men's basketball program is because of the lack of national success? I can't speak for anyone else, but my biggest beef isn't the overall winning percentage or the lack of playoff success, it's the mediocrity in NCC play. Here are UND's NCC finishes since the last conference title:

6th

9th

7th

3rd

3rd

5th

3rd

3rd

7th

5th

6th

And the finishes probably would have been worse the past few years but for the small number of teams now in the NCC. It's hard to believe we could go this long without even a runner-up finish, let alone a title.

I'm not necessarily advocating anything in particular, but do people think that Buning is doing the right thing by allowing Rich to completely dictate when the announcement is going to be made that he's leaving? It seems to me that it's been more or less common knowledge for at least 15 days now that he's going. Obviously this has had a huge impact on recruiting. While I completely understand the legalities that require UNI to keep the job open for a period of time, I can't help but wonder whether allowing this to drag out for more than two weeks during the late signing period is in UND's best interests.

Excellent point, Rich is holding this program hostage right now. It kind of reminds me of what Favre is doing to the Packers, but Rich doesn't deserve any leeway like Favre. Rich is setting this program even farther behind than he normally has it. It is quite obvious that Rich is going to accept the job, I don't believe that in any way could he come back and lead the program now. I would like to know what Buning's options are because everyday this goes on, the program is losing even more ground. If they have to keep the process open for two weeks, that means that we are at least 3 weeks from having a new coach and him/new coach contacting these possible recruits, will we have any of these recruits left by then....how many scholarship players will the team even have? Richie is putting the screws to the program again. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out of town Reverend.

I'm not necessarily advocating anything in particular, but do people think that Buning is doing the right thing by allowing Rich to completely dictate when the announcement is going to be made that he's leaving? It seems to me that it's been more or less common knowledge for at least 15 days now that he's going. Obviously this has had a huge impact on recruiting. While I completely understand the legalities that require UNI to keep the job open for a period of time, I can't help but wonder whether allowing this to drag out for more than two weeks during the late signing period is in UND's best interests.

In the long run, I believe the delay is totally appropriate for the program because within three to four weeks, IMO UND will likely be headed to DI. It is really only fair for the players that sign to know the direction of the program (DII or one year of DII and a transition). A DI UND position might attract a different set of coaching candidates - some wanting DI, others wanting to avoid the transition period. IMO, Buning wants the selection process of the coach to be after the DI decision is known.

The bigger question seems to be why Kupchella doesn't make an announcement now, rather than later? That way the men's basketball situation could be resolved more quickly. A possible answer to that is UND's DI announcement may be timed from a media standpoint to most impact the Big Sky President's meetings in late May.

Also would like to add that a still-DII UND transitioning to DI would have major appeal to JC transfers that are not DI eligible. A DI decision may entice certain JC transfers that would otherwise never have a DI opportunity to play for UND (even in a transition).

The bigger question seems to be why Kupchella doesn't make an announcement now, rather than later? That way the men's basketball situation could be resolved more quickly. A possible answer to that is UND's DI announcement may be timed from a media standpoint to most impact the Big Sky President's meetings in late May.

While it may feel like a foregone conclusion, I don't think all of the necessary information is in. I know that just this week UND staff was asked to complete an online survey regarding their opinion of a move. I have also heard that the chair of the Task Force is still writing the document that informs Pres. Kupchella of the group's findings.

While it may feel like a foregone conclusion, I don't think all of the necessary information is in. I know that just this week UND staff was asked to complete an online survey regarding their opinion of a move. I have also heard that the chair of the Task Force is still writing the document that informs Pres. Kupchella of the group's findings.

You think UND would move without having some sort of study done? Of course not.

Enter "task force."

Enter move to Division I.

It doesn't matter what those "task forces" say. Look at NDSU it said do not move without a conference lined up. They didn't listen and moved regardless.

You think UND would move without having some sort of study done? Of course not.

Enter "task force."

Enter move to Division I.

It doesn't matter what those "task forces" say. Look at NDSU it said do not move without a conference lined up. They didn't listen and moved regardless.

Yeah, but I would think they would at least wait for the task force to finish before any announcement is made. But that's just me. :sad:

In the long run, I believe the delay is totally appropriate for the program because within three to four weeks, IMO UND will likely be headed to DI. It is really only fair for the players that sign to know the direction of the program (DII or one year of DII and a transition). A DI UND position might attract a different set of coaching candidates - some wanting DI, others wanting to avoid the transition period. IMO, Buning wants the selection process of the coach to be after the DI decision is known.

Also would like to add that a still-DII UND transitioning to DI would have major appeal to JC transfers that are not DI eligible. A DI decision may entice certain JC transfers that would otherwise never have a DI opportunity to play for UND (even in a transition).

You are clearly much more patient than I am. :sad: I have a hunch that whomever the next coach is, he'll be somebody who is currently familiar with the fact that the odds of UND going dI within the very near future are good. Ideally, yes, you'd probably like to make the dI announcement first, but unless we're willing to even further damage the recruiting for next year, I'm not sure that's a luxury we have. These potential recruits aren't going to wait around forever.

It looks like Miles has turned down the UNC-Wilmington job. Of course, this relates to UND in that Smith should almost be guaranteed the UND job (IMO).

Miles is offered the job and doesn't make a statement one way or the other and that translates into he turned it down?

UNC-W sure has written the book for how NOT to run a search for a head coach, rather embarrassing for them.

Yes, it is a hell of a mess in Wilmington. I think that is only rivaled by the screwed up search for a president at the University of Wyoming......Lot's of lessons for everyone in this....