SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Head Men's Basketball Coaches

choyt3

Though Rich Glas moving on is not definite, it is inevitable at some point in the next few years. Who are some coaches with ties to UND, or with NO ties to UND that are potential candidates? I came up with a few possibilites as part of a different conversation. Here they are:

1. Mike Boschee - Central College - Pella, IA

2. Mike Fitzner - Lake Superior State - Sault Ste. Marie, MI

3. Marty McDermott - University of Dubuque - Dubuque, IA -

4. Rico Burkett - Wayne State College - Wayne, NE -

5. Craig Smith - Mayville State University - Mayville, ND - A UND alum (1996), though he never coached at UND. He's followed Tim Miles around a little bit. An "up and comer".

Others?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though Rich Glas moving on is not definite, it is inevitable at some point in the next few years. Who are some coaches with ties to UND, or with NO ties to UND that are potential candidates? I came up with a few possibilites as part of a different conversation. Here they are:

5. Craig Smith - Mayville State University - Mayville, ND - A UND alum (1996), though he never coached at UND. He's followed Tim Miles around a little bit. An "up and comer".

Others?

We have a men's basketball team? :lol:???

Why Mike Fitzer? What is the connection.

Rico, a great guy, has struggled at Wayne State after Mac left.

Mac (the Univ. of Northern Iowa), would obviously be a great choice, but he will go on, at some point to bigger and better things, as he is hottest item in DI (small school), with wins against ISU and Iowa.

What about Big Ben with UNI? If UND goes DI, would he come back?

Mac (the Univ. of Northern Iowa), would obviously be a great choice, but he will go on, at some point to bigger and better things, as he is hottest item in DI (small school), with wins against ISU and Iowa.

Fitzner was a walk-on UND player for a year or two, and then transferred to Wayne State when Mac got the job there. He's from Valley City.

Others?

Unblieveable....Coach Glas Breaks a Record and we have to post this Crap.....

1st of All there is not a Coach with UND Ties on That List that has a .500 Won Lost Record as a Head Coach...

Marty Mcdermott is Greg's Little Brother...Greg in at UNI...

Craig Smith is the only Coach with a Head Coaching Record a Few Games Above .500...But No UND Ties...

I wil take My Chances with Rich Glas...He has only averaged around 20 wins a year....Thats pretty good..

I wil take My Chances with Rich Glas...He has only averaged around 20 wins a year....Thats pretty good..

The point is Rich Glas has moved far beyond the point of usefulness and productivity. The program is in the s@%^*er right now and there is not much positive outlook from fans in town like there was at one point in time. Glas simply has to go for the betterment of the program IMO.

The point is Rich Glas has moved far beyond the point of usefulness and productivity. The program is in the s@%^*er right now and there is not much positive outlook from fans in town like there was at one point in time. Glas simply has to go for the betterment of the program IMO.

I agree. Glas has done wonderful things in his 18 years here. But I think a different philosophy is needed. I don't know if it is coaching or recruiting, but this program is and has not been close to where it was in the early 90's.

Personally, I like Craig Smith. He's done a fabulous job with Mayville, and learned under Tim Miles. I got to know Miles personally while he was at Mayville. He is a class act, excellent coach, and all around great guy. And I thought this before the win over Wisconsin.

Others?

6. A magic eight ball

7. An orange construction cone

This is my first BB thread and though I respect what Glas has accomplished it appears it may be time to move on.

Plus I love this type of speculation and c'mon, you gotta have some what-might-have-beens when you see what Mac is doing at UNI.

Current coach of NDSCS Craig Irwin will get an interview for sure. He finished 7th in the country last year going 28-7 and has averaged 28 wins a year for his six years at NDSCS and has had them ranked every year. He is what is keeping NDSU in talent and the UND coaches seem to follow him around recruiting many of his players, like 6'10 Tom Dryburgh from Fordville. He also had two very successful seasons at MSU-Bottineau and is roebucks

' nephew.

This is my first BB thread and though I respect what Glas has accomplished it appears it may be time to move on.

Plus I love this type of speculation and c'mon, you gotta have some what-might-have-beens when you see what Mac is doing at UNI.

I am hoping that they fire someone (Glas) this offseason. I don't even care if they term it as a retirement or a resignation or anything else as long as he is gone for next season.

I agree.

The basketball program is in a sad state right now, and I am having a harder and harder time even watching the so called 'men's team'.

I don't care how many records Glas breaks, he needs to go and we need to move into a new direction.

Forget about how many ties the coach has to the program, we need someone that can get the program going again.

I would love to see if there's any chance we get Nagy from SDSU. He loves the NCC, and their basketball program is in complete dissaray at this point, with the sexual assault allegations against the talented freshman and the other guy.

I'm sorry, but Glas needs to go. He isn't even getting it done in a watered down version of the NCC, and we're losing to teams that compete in the NAIA of all plaes.

• 1 month later...

Since the season is over, anyone care if I bring it back to the top? Good. Are there any sleepers out there that would be a good fit for the program? High school coaches? Juco coaches? Local small college coaches? Anyone? Bueller? ... Is this thing on?