SiouxSports.com Forum

Time to give credit where credit is due

siouxfan499

okay...nice win but I have to wonder...how good is DI basketball when ndsu can go to their house! (as a 2nd year di program) and win?? :D

Tim Miles looked really sweaty and unshaved as always...WHAT'S THAT ABOUT?

Didn't you guys recently beat a U of F** Kansas City team you who only scored like 17 points AT HALFTIME??? :D Part of me wants to say...HEY! UND COULD SCORE 17 BY THE HALF (but I couldnt guarentee that so I'm backing off! :D )

If you want to compare career wins on the DI level at the Kohl center...we can go head to head right now!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So UW looked PAST NDSU and played a half assed game.

NDSU, on the other hand, saw the game as an opportunity to show their stuff. They played HARD and aggressively. They really tried to win the game, even though they knew before the game that there was a very good chance they'd get slaughtered. Guess what! NDSU was the ONLY team that came to play!

And BINGO! UW looks up at the scoreboard and says "Dang, we lost! I thought these guys were patsies!" They deserved to lose for not taking their opponent seriously.

NDSU deserved to win, because they didn't turtle because UW is "bigger and better" than they are.

TOTAL props to NDSU. Live it up boys, you earned it.

I don't think UW overlooked NDSU at all, just look at some of these quotes.

from the Forum- "Krabbenhoft, Taylor, Tucker and head coach Bo Ryan all said the Badgers didn

NDSU definately has some talent on their men's team. There is no denying that. While I doubt that there was the usual build up for this game as there is for most Big 10 games, I don't think they over-looked NDSU either. The Bison deserve the credit.

What is interesting to see is that our women's basketball team is now 22-0, and how much discussion is there about them? :D Not alot. More praise is being given to the NDSU men's team (which they deserve). Consider that next year, the NSIC is adding 2 more schools, meaning less non-conference games against NCC schools. So are we going to be seeing even more DAC schools on our schedules? Makes you think about the direction of the 2 athletic departments.

Congrats to the Bison.

Kohl Center is not an easy place to play and win in any sport.

Here's the stat of the game that should really embarrass Bucky:

The Badger hockey team shot a better percentage v. CC (9 goals on 33 shots --> 27%) last week than Bucky's MBB team did against NDSU (22% from the floor). I'm far from a hoops guy, but 22% ain't gonna get it done against anyone.

And 'jimdahl' missed one: On the day the last 3 undefeated go down: Duke, Pitt, and Florida.

okay...nice win but I have to wonder...how good is DI basketball when ndsu can go to their house! (as a 2nd year di program) and win?? :D

Tim Miles looked really sweaty and unshaved as always...WHAT'S THAT ABOUT?

Didn't you guys recently beat a U of F** Kansas City team you who only scored like 17 points AT HALFTIME??? :D Part of me wants to say...HEY! UND COULD SCORE 17 BY THE HALF (but I couldnt guarentee that so I'm backing off! :D )

If you want to compare career wins on the DI level at the Kohl center...we can go head to head right now!

Are you kidding me, you really can't have this opinion can you? I can't even look at this site anymore if these are the kind of post that are gonna be on it, I am a sioux fan but I do not live under a rock, this is an incredible win for SU and it is gonna really hurt UND's chances for ANY recruits if they are competing with SU, of course if tim miles was recruiting against rich and randall we wouldn't get them anyway, he is in a whole different league. I know this having played for tim and being recruited by rich, sweaty and unshaven? maybe he was spending too much time coaching and recruiting. You have to love the team they have put together, not dogging UND as I actually like the approach they have taken these last two years bringing in high school kids with good integrity. Too bad we screwed up with all the JUCO's I think the program got into a mode where they needed the quick fix, but guys like Beasley don't grow on trees or don't often come to UND: Heck we really didn't win with him anyway--- SU has recruited winners, mr bballs in many different states and guys who play with a passion and believe, and I think they have bought into what tim is selling! Tim didn't have the greatest success at SU when they were D2 but I knew it would be a matter of time if SU was still in the NCC that it would be a no brainer that they would dominate.

NDSU. D1. Everyone kind of knew that football would be ok and competitive right away and they have. Most thought that men's bb would have the biggest struggles while women's bb would be competitive right away with the mid-majors. Well surprise, surprise, NDSU men's hoops has been a huge success and they put a good product on the floor while the women's program has been a failure and recruting has gone in the crapper.

SU has recruited winners, mr bballs in many different states and guys who play with a passion and believe, and I think they have bought into what tim is selling! Tim didn't have the greatest success at SU when they were D2 but I knew it would be a matter of time if SU was still in the NCC that it would be a no brainer that they would dominate.

I have been a harsh critic of SU's move to DI, mainly because of conference and men's basketball issues. Clearly, Tim Miles has accomplished more than any AD at NDSU could have dreamed possible. With the redshirt freshmen that NDSU has, this team is almost certainly destined to be a top 100 and very possibly top 50 team in DI. Most importantly, with the RPI ratings held so dear by the mid-major basketball conferences, NDSU's likelihood of getting into a conference when they are fully eligible has gone from very likely to almost a certainty. An investment in "NDSU" (meaning Tim Miles and his current team) at this point could help turn a one-bid conference into a two-bid conference. That alone changes the minds of certain presidents as it means big dollars. Agree totally that Miles finds players with and further instills in his players a passion, which is a necessary ingredient for success.

From a UND perspective, found it interesting that the Herald had a long article on McDermott and Jacobson at Northern Iowa. Perhaps its too late, but if UND could lure Jacobson back to a fledgling DI program, that might go a long way toward resurrecting some sort of passion in the UND program. If nothing else, the Bison win over the Badgers will wake up Sioux fans to what is possible, especially considering that UND's facilities are a step above NDSU's. In the long run, NDSU's win might be the wake-up call that UND's men's program needs.

Well surprise, surprise, NDSU men's hoops has been a huge success and they put a good product on the floor while the women's program has been a failure and recruting has gone in the crapper.

What I normally hear about recruiting is that guys are more interested in the "DI" label and that young ladies are more interested in being able to win and succeed.

I believe NDSU's mens success and UND's 22-0 ladies team are probably bearing this out in that I'd guess (note: guess) UND may have gotten one or two of NDSU's mens guys if they were still a DII and NDSU may have gotten one or two of UND's ladies if NDSU hadn't been on DI transition probation and tourney ineligible.

One more thought:

I wonder how

- Craig Bohl

- Amy Ruley

feel right about now.

Seems like Tim Miles might be sliding into the top-dog, media darling, coaching role at NDSU.

I would suspect as BB season winds down you will see Bohl back in the lime light. Bohl is pretty popular and after all, football is what NDSU is used to having as its meat and potatos......and I intend no disrespect to Miles.....what he has done with these freshmen is incredible....

Nice win by the bison. I listened to the game on the way to St. Cloud to watch UND play. I could not believe when the bison built a 14 point lead in the first half. They sure came to play. The biggist stat in the game, besides the badgers shooting 18% in the first half and 22% for the game, was rebounding. Wisconson is known for their defense and their size, and they out rebound most teams they play. But to get out rebounded 46-39 shows that the bison wanted it more. Wisconson made it to the Elite Eight last year and that is part of the reason they are ranked so high this year. They lost 4 starters from last years team and was predicted to finish 7th in the big ten. However, this is not to take anything away from the bison. Wisconson is more talented and taller and stronger but the bison played harder and out hustled the badgers. I like to see local kids and teams do the dirty work and knock off some off the big boys once in awhile. It says something about North Dakota and our work ethic. Congratulations to Tim Miles and the boys.

One more thought:

I wonder how

- Craig Bohl

- Amy Ruley

feel right about now.

Seems like Tim Miles might be sliding into the top-dog, media darling, coaching role at NDSU.

I would think that anything drawing positive attention to NDSU would ultimately help recruiting in all areas. So I would guess they are pretty happy for him, and the University.

NDSU. D1. Everyone kind of knew that football would be ok and competitive right away and they have. Most thought that men's bb would have the biggest struggles while women's bb would be competitive right away with the mid-majors. Well surprise, surprise, NDSU men's hoops has been a huge success and they put a good product on the floor while the women's program has been a failure and recruting has gone in the crapper.

Now I'm not a big hoops guy, but I think some people are being a little too hard on NDSU women's bb squad. Yes, it probably has taken a couple steps back during the transition, but an 8-9 record so far in their first year of (mostly) DI competition is hardly aweful.

I would think that anything drawing positive attention to NDSU would ultimately help recruiting in all areas. So I would guess they are pretty happy for him, and the University.

Recruiting? Yes, but money and fundraising moreso would be my expectation.

It's hard but I also congratulate NDSU on their win, about time the other ND school made it on SportsCenter. It just seems odd how in one week you can lose to Utah Valley State then beat the 15th ranked team in the nation. How bout the upsets on Saturday though, all three unbeatens fell except of course for our Sioux women, Red River beating Fargo South in boys hockey, Andy Roddick losing at the Australian Open, and to top it all off NDSU beating Wisconsin in basketball, just one of those days...

From http://www.mratings.com (01/22/06):

Least Likely Results

1 12/22 Alabama St (297) 78 S Alabama ( 97) 75 0.079

2 12/6 Indiana St (143) 72 Indiana ( 16) 67 0.085

3 12/6 Chattanooga (206) 69 Creighton ( 40) 64 0.105

4 1/21 N Dakota St (155) 62 at Wisconsin ( 24) 55 0.111

5 1/7 UC Riverside (302) 83 at Pacific (135) 71 0.122

6 11/18 E Michigan (256) 67 California ( 85) 65 0.128

7 12/31 East Carolina (265) 82 UNC Wilmington (107) 69 0.135

8 11/24 Monmouth NJ (213) 80 vs S Illinois ( 64) 68 0.142

9 1/16 E Illinois (283) 59 Murray St (124) 54 0.145

10 1/3 Liberty (318) 83 High Point (223) 80 0.148

Although every weekend is a good weekend to not be a Badger fan :D , this one is especially good: Imagine being swept at home by DU and having NDSU beat your MBB team in between.

What is interesting to see is that our women's basketball team is now 22-0, and how much discussion is there about them? Not alot. More praise is being given to the NDSU men's team

and by our own message board and home town newspaper. On my way to St. Cloud, i thought I'd pick up a Herald and read up on the big match up...I mean two undefeated teams ranked 2 and 4 in the nation. Not one word printed in the Saturday paper...no mention of the game. Sunday, thought I'd buy a St. Cloud paper...story on the front page and in the sports page. Thought I'd buy a Herald when I got close enough, you know, get some real home town coverage and praise....PATHETIC!! first, you have to really look to find the article. While I think it's great that NDSU upset Wisconsin (everyone loves that) I think it is really sad how apathetic most seem to be about the womens basketball program. If that's because it's DII, it's ridiculous, but then I suppose something should be done. Would the program have more attention/support if it were DI and from time to time won an upset instead of being 22-0? Yes, let's give credit where credit is due...way to go Sioux ladies...let's pack the Betty for them!!

Are you kidding me, you really can't have this opinion can you? I can't even look at this site anymore if these are the kind of post that are gonna be on it, I am a sioux fan but I do not live under a rock, this is an incredible win for SU and it is gonna really hurt UND's chances for ANY recruits if they are competing with SU, of course if tim miles was recruiting against rich and randall we wouldn't get them anyway, he is in a whole different league. I know this having played for tim and being recruited by rich, sweaty and unshaven? maybe he was spending too much time coaching and recruiting. You have to love the team they have put together, not dogging UND as I actually like the approach they have taken these last two years bringing in high school kids with good integrity. Too bad we screwed up with all the JUCO's I think the program got into a mode where they needed the quick fix, but guys like Beasley don't grow on trees or don't often come to UND: Heck we really didn't win with him anyway--- SU has recruited winners, mr bballs in many different states and guys who play with a passion and believe, and I think they have bought into what tim is selling! Tim didn't have the greatest success at SU when they were D2 but I knew it would be a matter of time if SU was still in the NCC that it would be a no brainer that they would dominate.

oh relax you troll...I will give Miles credit for being a good recruiter! (Anyone who can get someone to move to Fargo deserves credit ;) ) That's the biggest knock against RG at UND - he lets his assistants handle the recruiting and it shows :D I do stand by the first sentence of my post...obviously DI BB (like di-aa fb) isn't as GIANT a LEAP as everyone thought...