SiouxSports.com Forum

thoughts on the Betty

UND92,96

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where we averaged 4432 fans for the 1991 season. I wonder what we averaged for those other early 1990's glory years in mens basketball. Does anyone know what we averaged in the last half of the 1990's when we were winning national titles in womens basketball? It seems to be apparent that the guy from the Ralph was way off on the figures he was throwing around.

At the risk of repeating myself,

For the record (search and look if you like), I too wish The Betty was about one to two thousand larger, but that just didn't make economic sense when you already have the The Ralph and The Al.

Instead of second-guessing what is done (and not going to change), why not figure out how to get more fans out and improve the atmosphere in The Ralph when you play BB games in there? (If The Betty is "too small" you'll have to play somewhere, right?)

How's USD do BB in a FB arena and create "atmosphere"?

How's Wisconsin or Ohio State do it with Kohl or Schottenstein?

How do/did they do it in Target Center?

How do they do it with HSBC in Buffalo (built for Sabres, not hoop)?

How do they do it in any number of arenas.

You want the glory days of Sioux BB to return?

You need to play in REA so you can use that as a recruiting tool.

Don't complain about it, work with it.

At the risk of repeating myself,

How's Wisconsin or Ohio State do it with Kohl or Schottenstein?

How do/did they do it in Target Center?

Easy. They play big name teams in metropolitan areas. This helps sell out their arenas for many games (meaning they will average more than 25% of their perspective arena capacities). That is how they create "atmosphere."

I have no problem reading people's concerns/complaints about the Betty. If you don't like them, don't read them.

Of course we can't replace the Betty now and we are not going to be sticking money into Hyslop, but addressing the problems about our current situation is definitely a worthwhile thread.

They play big name teams in metropolitan areas. This helps sell out their arenas ...

OK.

We won't be able to pick up and move UND to New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles any time soon so that's out.

I guess what has to happen instead is to create interest in coming to the game (and the arena) to cause more people to show up.

How can UND Athletics folks help with that? How can REA folks help with that? How can the average BB fan help with that? How can the students help with that? All those folks working together should be able to make it work.

It's easy to point out "problems."

Coming up with "solutions" is the trick that can make you a good living throughout life.

I think you would see a big reaction from the school if you could sell the place out with season tickets,

instead of having to sell so many single game tickets and relying on walkup sales. You do that and I am sure that they would work alot harder to find a solution to what many see as a problem.

Did anyone watch the Pacific- Cal State Fullerton mens game last night that was Big West D-1 basketball and that arena was not even in the same ballpark as the Betty.

Until the Betty is sold out on a season ticket basis, there is no problem, let's create a demand for the tickets!

Since I don't know how many current season ticketholders there are, I don't know whether this idea would be warranted or not, but one idea may be to offer conference-game-only season ticket packages. Non-conference games are generally a tough sell to the public due to the mostly overmatched opponents. Obviously you would prefer that people buy the entire season package, but purchasing a conference game package would be better than nothing.

Since I don't know how many current season ticketholders there are, I don't know whether this idea would be warranted or not, but one idea may be to offer conference-game-only season ticket packages. Non-conference games are generally a tough sell to the public due to the mostly overmatched opponents. Obviously you would prefer that people buy the entire season package, but purchasing a conference game package would be better than nothing.

That is a very good idea. I know a lot of people who go to most of the games, but don't buy season tickets now because they do not want to go to some of the non-conference games.

Ideas like this can only help out some of the problems.

The reason they want to include the non-conference games in the season package is to get people to those games. It is the same thing as the NFL including pre-season games in the season ticket package. The games are meaningless, but they want to sell as many tickets to them as possible. So, to get tickets for the games you want to see you have to buy tickets to games you don't. Another example was St. Cloud including tickets to games with Robert Morris in a package with games against UND. If you offered a conference season ticket you would probably lose a lot of ticket sales to the non-conference games.

The reason they want to include the non-conference games in the season package is to get people to those games. It is the same thing as the NFL including pre-season games in the season ticket package. The games are meaningless, but they want to sell as many tickets to them as possible. So, to get tickets for the games you want to see you have to buy tickets to games you don't. Another example was St. Cloud including tickets to games with Robert Morris in a package with games against UND. If you offered a conference season ticket you would probably lose a lot of ticket sales to the non-conference games.

I don't think many people who are currently season ticketholders would drop the full package for the conference-only package. Most of these people (myself included) have had their tickets for years and are serious fans. I'm just throwing an idea out there in an effort to induce people who may currently go to 2-3 games per year to commit to something a bit more.

I don't think many people who are currently season ticketholders would drop the full package for the conference-only package. Most of these people (myself included) have had their tickets for years and are serious fans. I'm just throwing an idea out there in an effort to induce people who may currently go to 2-3 games per year to commit to something a bit more.

A different way to do that would be to set up smaller ticket packages. For example you could set up 4 game packages or 6 game packages. One way to do it would be to put specific games in each package, maybe 3 conference games and a non-conference game or 3. This may get a few more people to some of the non-conference games without scaring them off. Another advantage of this method would be to divide the conference schedule in 2 and sell the same seats to 1 group for half the season and a 2nd group the other half. The other way to do it would be to let them decide which games they want. I think that the Twins have a package deals of 20 games and 41 games besides the 81 game full season package. They also have a flex plan where you pay for 40 tickets at a certain price level and can use them any way you want. You could use 1 at a time for 40 games or 4 tickets for 10 games or any combination you want. That plan lets you redeem the vouchers anytime up to game day, you don't have to decide ahead of time which games you want to see. The Timberwolves have 10 game packages of all weekends, all weekdays or mixed schedules. UND could sell 6 game packages where you get your choice of games, choice would depend on a seniority system like they use now. This would be a little more work for the ticket office because they would have different seats available for each game and sending out the ticket packages would be more work.

One other thing I would suggest--and I know this won't happen but I'll throw it out there anyway--is to have dramatically slashed ticket prices for the non-conference games vs. DAC teams, UMC and whatever other NAIA or very low level dII teams may be on the schedule. Of course, I'm looking at this purely from a women's basketball standpoint. Obviously on the men's side we don't blow out these types of teams anymore. In any event, a precedent has already been set for certain hockey and football games to have higher prices. I really don't have a problem with that. But it would certainly help attendance for these unpopular games to have cheap tickets.

• 3 weeks later...

After being at the games this weekend I feel I have a better understanding of the concerns of the Betty, since I was lucky enough to be part of the record crowd at Saturday's games. IMO the Sioux Center is a fantastic basketball facility. The atmosphere is just awesome. Had the women's game been played in REA, the atmosphere would have most likely been more like a men's game versus Crookston. Utilizing the space behind the south bleachers for concessions really helps to alleviate th traffic problems that would have been present even at some of the bigger drawing non-conference games.

As far as seating capacity goes, the size of south bleachers should be increased by 50% and the size of the north bleachers should be doubled. This would retain the space for concessions in the south, and the Fighting Sioux Club socials could be moved 20 feet into Olympic Arena. This would bring seating capacity to around 3,500-3,600 hundred.

BTW, what happened to the small scoreboards that used to be in each of the four corners of the arena?

I wish we could get a clarification on how attendance is counted, because Saturday's attendance for the women's game was 3,099 while the attendance for the men's game is listed at 3,192. :D

I wish we could get a clarification on how attendance is counted, because Saturday's attendance for the women's game was 3,099 while the attendance for the men's game is listed at 3,192. :D

My understanding is that everyone arriving before halftime of the women's game counts as part of the women's attendance. The men's game counts every ticket sold.