SiouxSports.com Forum

Mens B-Ball vs Northern Game Thread

coachdags

1st road test...Rich pretty smart...17 at home,10 on Road....Sounds like big crowd, hostile enviroment... win at home split on the road gets you 20 wins??

On another note anyone watch Minn Gophers coach Melt down on ESPN2...Throw your Coat double T's get ejected

Edited by coachdags

I think it's interesting that Northern has only one transfer on the roster, and he barely plays. I have always been under the impression that Northern gets mostly high school recruits thought to be not quite good enough for the NCC schools to heavily recruit, e.g. Craig Nelson and Adam Grant. Is this still the case, or were some of their better players considered to be very good prospects coming out of high school? Anybody know?

I think it's interesting that Northern has only one transfer on the roster, and he barely plays. I have always been under the impression that Northern gets mostly high school recruits thought to be not quite good enough for the NCC schools to heavily recruit, e.g. Craig Nelson and Adam Grant. Is this still the case, or were some of their better players considered to be very good prospects coming out of high school? Anybody know?

Northern State is a place where you go if you love basketball. Don Meyer is an amazing coach that requires that you imerse yourself in the game. I don't think that the talent that NSU gets is less than NCC. I might have been that way before he got there but no more. It is also possible that Meyer will take those players that have what it takes mentally to play and make them better. I believe he is more of a system coach. He'll get what he want to fit the way he wants to coach.

On your other statement. Craig Nelson was the best basketball player in the State his senior year. If you watch area high school basketball......he brought the most complete game of any player around that year. During the Lion's game he was without a doubt the best player in the building. That included Koenig. Nelson won't wow you with scoring but he will run your offense, run the break and lead your defense. He just joins the list of point guards that Glas missed out on. (Thompson, Lingren)

Northern State is a place where you go if you love basketball. Don Meyer is an amazing coach that requires that you imerse yourself in the game. I don't think that the talent that NSU gets is less than NCC. I might have been that way before he got there but no more. It is also possible that Meyer will take those players that have what it takes mentally to play and make them better. I believe he is more of a system coach. He'll get what he want to fit the way he wants to coach.

On your other statement. Craig Nelson was the best basketball player in the State his senior year. If you watch area high school basketball......he brought the most complete game of any player around that year. During the Lion's game he was without a doubt the best player in the building. That included Koenig. Nelson won't wow you with scoring but he will run your offense, run the break and lead your defense. He just joins the list of point guards that Glas missed out on. (Thompson, Lingren)

I realize Nelson was a very good player in high school. I would have liked to see him at UND. But it would seem that he simply wasn't recruited very hard, if at all, by UND, or for that matter anybody else in the NCC. To the best of my knowledge, it was a similar story with all the other ND kids in the 90's who flourished at Northern. Perhaps the Northern coaching staff simply has a better eye for talent than most coaches, I don't know. I guess my real question is whether Northern is actually winning recruiting battles with USD, UND, etc., or whether, as speculated above, that they simply have a better eye for talent and are winning with players who may have been overlooked by bigger schools?

I realize Nelson was a very good player in high school. I would have liked to see him at UND. But it would seem that he simply wasn't recruited very hard, if at all, by UND, or for that matter anybody else in the NCC. To the best of my knowledge, it was a similar story with all the other ND kids in the 90's who flourished at Northern. Perhaps the Northern coaching staff simply has a better eye for talent than most coaches, I don't know. I guess my real question is whether Northern is actually winning recruiting battles with USD, UND, etc., or whether, as speculated above, that they simply have a better eye for talent and are winning with players who may have been overlooked by bigger schools?

I guess I would go with the "better eye for talent" observation along with possibly a proven ability to do more with less talent.

I guess you have to understand that Don Meyer is a SPECIAL coach. He is one of only a couple DII coaches that are known by every "big time" coach. Don Meyer's Coaching Acadamy hosts such people as Pat Summit, Coach K, John Wooden, Bill Self etc.... That may also be a recruiting tool, but simply the fact that he is recognized as one of the nations better coaches. That may sway your answer towards doing more with less talent or as I kind of mentioned earlier.....the right talent.

Meyer seems to be a system guy.find the right players for his system. Glas lately seems to be attempting to pick up whatever JUCO guy that he can find to fill a viod....but their is no real consistency. The only real consistent system players have been the "stout post" like Ryp. Just my observation.

I also just noticed on the NSU website that they have signed four players early and if you read about those four they are all winners. Back to Back football titles for two of them. State apperances in basketball. Two time state champ in Minn basketball. Maybe that is something...........knowing how to win is important....

Ross Pankratz was not recruited very hard by either NDSU or UND. Glas offerred him to walk on and redshirt and potentially earn a scholarship. NDSU didn't even offer him that. I don't know what Northern offerred, but I'm guessing at least a partial scholarship. I think Dustin Undlin was recruited much harder by NDSU and UND, but it was one of the few instances where Northern won a recruiting battle. Of course, Pankratz turned out to be quite a bit better player in college. I don't really know about any of the other ND kids.

Add Gilby Sanchez to the point guard list, local kid who played juco at whap science. Also at the time Northern made its run was a shooting guard from Bagley Minnesota, he was lights out!!!!

Where I know Gilby is a quality basketball player I don't think that he is a DII player. If you look at what he's done at MSU and what Lingren did.....no real comparison. However if Gilby is hot.....shut off the lights before he does.

Dan Fischer

The sioux always are missing local kids who could play, plus this would drive up interest in the team. They get to many of these transfers who come in and think they will just dominate, we need more local kids to make a TEAM. Im tired of watching this showboating all game, NW MN has some talent, as the women have got those players and they are doing fine.