SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 men's basketball

UND92,96

Totally agree just wish we knew who those kids were?...I think we have missed on a few..Lindgren,Burkhart,Arenson,..to name a few....or what would be nice is to get a Nick Jacobson,Jeff Boschee,John Godfread to stay home.....

Jeff Boschee? John Godfread? Sorry to say but Rich doesn't stand a chance when the likes of Kansas and Utah are knocking on your door. To even think that UND had a shot at these kids is absurd.

Kevin Aronson was from Crary. Kevin Burckhard was from Lakota. Did they both play at Lake Region for two years? I should remember but don't.

This topic about missed high school players was covered a while back on this board.

Alot of these misses were after Mac left and that is no coincidence.

Yes, they both played at Lake Region for two years. I believe Burckhard's dad played for the Sioux back when Phil Jackson was at UND, so there were some roots there already.

Jeff Boschee? John Godfread? Sorry to say but Rich doesn't stand a chance when the likes of Kansas and Utah are knocking on your door. To even think that UND had a shot at these kids is absurd.

if you check with those two....I am sure you will find as absurd as it seems..Jeff's personal choices were #1 Kansas..#2 UND.....Big John same Thing as I know UND was in his Thoughts......ABSURD? maybe but we did have a chance...more so than alot others... Edited by coachdags

if you check with those two....I am sure you will find as absurd as it seems..Jeff's personal choices were #1 Kansas..#2 UND.....Big John same Thing as I know UND was in his Thoughts......ABSURD? maybe but we did have a chance...more so than alot others...

UND might have had the inside track on Jeff, but once Roy Williams the then Coach of Kansas expressed his interest in Jeff, they took the reins from UND. I would have to say it was the same story with Godfread. I don't think that it's a bad thing that they are sticking with the juco recruits, the talent level will be higher then the recruits they would land out of high school.

Edited by X2theZ

UND might have had the inside track on Jeff, but once Roy Williams the then Coach of Kansas expressed his interest in Jeff, they took the reins from UND. I would have to say it was the same story with Godfread. I don't think that it's a bad thing that they are sticking with the juco recruits, the talent level will be higher then the recruits they would land out of high school.

Although Jeff continued to be recruited by UND, the coaching staff knew after his sophomore season that he was going DI. Had he decided to go DII, he would have been at UND.

I think the problem with UND's recruitment of juco players since the late 90's is that very few have actually turned out to be impact players (all conference types), and furthermore, the number of wins really hasn't gone up during that time. By my count, there have been approximately 13 jucos brought in since 1999--Munlin, Beasley, Lolar, Porter, Allen, Franklin, Stoute, Jenkins, Nobles, Parks, Swan, Austin (local kid but still technically a juco), Phillips and Miller. I probably missed one or two, also. In any event, just seven of them actually lasted two full years in the program, and only Jerome turned out to be an all-conference player. I'm sure several of the aforementioned players are good guys, and certainly not all of them were expected to be stars, but we're not exactly doing well in terms of signing players who stay for two years, nor are we doing well in terms of finding players whose on-court results match their expected (or at least hoped) level of play.

if you check with those two....I am sure you will find as absurd as it seems..Jeff's personal choices were #1 Kansas..#2 UND.....Big John same Thing as I know UND was in his Thoughts......ABSURD? maybe but we did have a chance...more so than alot others...

Boschee did not have UND #2 on his list. If a guy can go to Kansas and win Big 12 Freshman of the year honors, he could play at any program in the nation. Duke, UNC, Iowa, Michigan, Kentucky. If someone can go and play at a big time D-1 school he is not going to have UND on his list.

UND was not #2 with "Big John" because he went to Northern Iowa when he transferred. If UND was #2 why didn't he transfer back home?

Boschee did not have UND #2 on his list. If a guy can go to Kansas and win Big 12 Freshman of the year honors, he could play at any program in the nation. Duke, UNC, Iowa, Michigan, Kentucky. If someone can go and play at a big time D-1 school he is not going to have UND on his list.

UND was not #2 with "Big John" because he went to Northern Iowa when he transferred. If UND was #2 why didn't he transfer back home?

I'd agree with you that UND didn't end up being his second choice, but to say jeff could have played in any program he choose is a stretch. Don't get me wrong Jeff's a great guy and a fantastic player, but Coach K and Dean Smith don't make to many trips to this neck of the woods. I think he was restricted to the mid-west teams.

I'd agree with you that UND didn't end up being his second choice, but to say jeff could have played in any program he choose is a stretch. Don't get me wrong Jeff's a great guy and a fantastic player, but Coach K and Dean Smith don't make to many trips to this neck of the woods. I think he was restricted to the mid-west teams.

Agreed that Coach K and Dean Smith didn't make too many stops at Grand Forks International Airport but talent wise he could step on any court and be on an equal level.

This problem does not seem to plague the women's program...why is that? The women's program is heavy with local talent, some of which I'm sure turned down D-1 offers. Is it that there is more talent locally on the women's side or it could be that the women's program has an excellent reputation and is successful year after year. I think someone mentioned a while back that girls probably aren't as likely to be sucked in by the status (even if it is a poor D-1 program, some people just want that label) of playing D-1. I would think that the men's program needs to become the successful program of the past before talented players (local or otherwise) will come here. It's kind of like what comes first...the chicken or the egg...can't have a successful program without talent and can't recruit talent without a successful program.

If my memory is correct Jeff was a McDonalds All-American. Every DI coach in the country knew who he was.

It all starts before that....Boeschee was invited to Nike All American Camp before his senior year. He made his name with Howard Pully's AAU team. At Nike Camp he dropped 40 in a big game and that is what turned Roy William's head enough to offer a scholorship. Williams then attended at least on game Jeff's senior year at Fargo North. He stopped for a bite at The Shack in north Fargo. He left an autographed picture. Basically based on AAU and Nike Camp performances he was selected to play in the McDonald's game......however that was after he had signed with KU.

(That's the story I remember)