SiouxSports.com Forum

Myron Allen Eligibility

star2city

Please, don't be so ignorant to dismiss the possibility of "easy-A's" at UND.

I know there are indeed ''easy-A's" at UND. Maybe a couple of UND's scholar athletes have puffed up GPA's because of that, but certainly not all of the athletes take creampuff schedules. The schooling is actually important to some of them.

And UND by no means is the only school in the country that has classes that are "easy-A's". I would guess even the vaunted NDSU has a couple. ???

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't Glas state the facts?  Instead he tries to make it sound like Allen hung around for a day or two and got a "free" room (I guess that means the Beez, not Allen paid for it).  Never mind that the team supported him for 10 days.  Im not too encouraged that  the institution is reporting accurately.  That would mean listing the number of days Allen was on the roster, the support he received during that time including meals, rooms, travel and money.  

You aren't "encouraged that the institution is reporting accurately". Well, if you know all of the facts, what are they? Rich Glas has been coaching at UND a long time. He hasn't had any sort of violations in recruiting that I'm aware of, ever. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt on this. That doesn't excuse, though, that UND should have been able to find this information out.

They should also include the relationship with his "agent".  If the "agent" ever appeared to be representing Allen's interests he could be construed as having a contract.
This is not true. The only way this friend/adviser/mentor would be considered an agent is if Allen (or Allen's family) paid him for his services.

The fact that this information is so readily available may indicate that due diligence wasn't followed in checking Allen's background or the administration was fully aware but thought they could get away with it.

Isn't it obvious that due diligence wasn't followed? Anyone? Hello? Jeez, add something to the conversation that hasn't been said already.

As for UND thinking that they could "get away with it", come on. Like I said above, I can't think of ONE example of Rich Glas getting into trouble during his tenure at UND for recruiting violations. He has always run an honest program as far as I (we) know. If you know something different, by all means let's hear it.

You guys seem to forget that Myron had already played 2 seasons of NCAA basketball before he came to UND!!! When you get a JUCO recruit and he is deemed eligible to play after transferring, you really would not feel the need to look any further, since he obviously has been eligible to play during the previous 2 seasons.

As far as programs go, I am confident that the Sioux have run a clean and upstanding program---we can compare to Texas Tommy's days at NDSU anytime you want to(bring in 8 or 10 JUCO's and hope 4 or 5 can stay eligible or not caught cheating long enough to help the squad)

How does a kid get into junior college without a high school diploma?

Glas said that Allen didn't finish high school because he'd gotten in with the wrong crowd. He later realized that he'd messed up his life and tried to turn it around by going to a junior college to play basketball. I don't recall if Glas said how Allen got into junior college.

Couldn't he attend a junior college after earning his GED?

Whoa! I thought the NCAA bylaws did not allow for ANY sort of compensation for a collegiate athlete(correct me if I'm wrong, Jim or any of the other NCAA-site hounds). Ten days of lodging, meals, and transportation from a pro team sound like compensation to me, it doesn't have to take the form of cash.

Right you are. The link I provided earlier lists the rules pretty clearly.

* The agent question is up in the air (depends on whether the NCAA decides that the guy was an agent rather than a friend)

* Trying out for a team at their expense makes you a pro (the room and board seems like it might meet that standard)

* Playing in a scrimmage against an outside opponent makes you a pro

Thankfully, though, JBB doesn't determine the punishment. The Forum and Herald both speculated that forfeiture of up to 7 games would actually be the harshest possible punishment. The bigger question is what happens to Myron's eligibility?

Here's the question I have. What are the JUCO rules regarding a kid's eligibility if he's signed a contract and/or played in the pros?

If JUCOs and the NCAA have similar rules I can see how Glas might have assumed Allen was eligible to play and not given his background a closer look.

• 2 weeks later...

RD17 -- No one answered your question regarding the JUCO rules vs. NCAA regulations. Although the penalties would likely differ, the rules are exactly the same in that it applies to JUCOs as well. Therefore, his school in Texas also missed it.

If you look at it without any bias (which a lot of people both pro-UND and anti-UND have trouble doing on this website), it is obvious that Allen didn't think he did anything wrong (although he certainly should have). If he had been trying to "hide" it, he certainly would not have chosen to attend a college 70 miles from Fargo when he could have gone to any DII school in the country! Had he gone anywhere else, it likely would have never been discovered!

From the Omaha World Herald:

"Forward C.J. Martin, who had been developing into one of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's top threats off the bench, has been ruled academically ineligible and won't be able to play in the second semester.

"We're going to miss him, miss his athleticism," Coach Kevin McKenna said Tuesday. "But the priorities here are academics first, and he needs to improve in that area if he wants the chance to play here again."

Eligibilty problems are not exclusive to UND. UNO is short on players I believe, so with SDSU injuries and who knows what else, I fear USD could be a sleeper this year. Now if UND gets Allan back, its a new day for UND.

Anyone have info yet on Myron Allen?  The NCAA was supposed to of have met this morning and let UND know by now if they had ruled on his case yet.

According to Pat Sweeney on the 5:00 sports, there were "further discussions" between UND and the NCAA today, but thus far no decision has been rendered.

Myron Allen has been found permanently ineligible by the NCAA. UND is appealing. Apparently no games will be forfeited.

I feel bad for Allen. While this situation is clearly his fault, a poor decision made four years ago for which he received practically no compensation has cost him a great deal. Whether the punishment fits the violation or not depends upon your point of view, but it is pretty unfortunate for all involved nonetheless.

That's too bad. If this had happened a few years ago, who knows what would have happened to Myron. Now he has obviously matured a great deal, is married, and a father. I think I heard Rich say on WDAY last week that Myron had a 3.0 GPA last semester.

Does he have the option to stay at UND and finish his education? How will this affect his scholarship? Does the NCAA have any say in that? (I doubt it.)

I am guessing that he will be leaving and giving pro ball a shot.

I didn't get the opportunity to get over to GF to watch him live and now I regret it. :D

That's too bad. If this had happened a few years ago, who knows what would have happened to Myron. Now he has obviously matured a great deal, is married, and a father. I think I heard Rich say on WDAY last week that Myron had a 3.0 GPA last semester.

Does he have the option to stay at UND and finish his education? How will this affect his scholarship? Does the NCAA have any say in that? (I doubt it.)

I am guessing that he will be leaving and giving pro ball a shot.

I didn't get the opportunity to get over to GF to watch him live and now I regret it. :D

Well, if he's ineligable, his scholarship will probably get pulled. But there's nothing that's going to stop him from staying in school if he can pay for it, which would say tons about his character.

It is a tough break for UND. The one question I have is this. If the NCAA found him ineligible, UND has to feel fortunate they don't have to forfeit any games. That's crazy to me.

So what the NCAA is saying is this...recruit a kid who has played pro ball, use him for 15-20 games, find out you can't use him, then drop him, but you get to keep all your wins? Doesn't seem right.

3.0 GPA, that's great to hear. I heard he just got his G.E.D. this past summer, I hope he's turning the corner and can find a pro team to play on

I guess I agree with the previous poster. I question UND's decision to appeal primarily because they do not seem to dispute that Myron Allen received compensation from the Beez. The appeal will only serve to drag this out longer and be a further distraction for the team.

What other penalty can there be. He received compensation from a professional team. There is a strong possibility he had an agent. (Seriously, how many times is the "he's not my agent, just a family friend" rationale excuse trotted out and how many times do you believe it? For me, its a) alot and b) never.) There can be no middle ground here, he was either a professional or he wasn't. The NCAA has ruled he was and therefore, his amateur status is revoked. I don't think that it is in the best interest of college athletics to have a sliding scale of professional status in handing out punishment.

I feel bad for Myron Allen because from all indications, he seems like a good young man who may have made an innocent mistake. Maybe the rules need to be changed but that discussion is moot in this case.

Also, I agree that the forfeit question has not been decided yet. To me this is a no brainer - you won games using an ineligible player, you forfeit those games....or at least treat them as if they'd never been played. If the Sioux truly are a championship-caliber team, they will play their way through this and make the tournament.