SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's BB

UND Fan

UND has now avenged three losses from last year by an average margin of 33.3 points. Not too bad. ;) It was great to see Ashley Langen have a breakout game. The bad news is that her performance won't exactly encourage too many more teams to play anything but zone against the Sioux. She just can't be stopped down low with a man-to-man defense.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comments from CSP coach Paul Fessler after the game:

Concordia-St. Paul women's basketball coach Paul Fessler was asked to assess the play of UND, a team with national title aspirations.

"I'm not sure who'll beat them," Fessler said after the Sioux put on an offensive and defensive clinic in their 76-46 win against Concordia-St. Paul on Saturday night in the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center. "Their second five would finish in second place in the NCC behind their first five."

I'm sure SCSU and UMD in particular would disagree, but I'm not so sure he isn't right.

Interesting comments from CSP coach Paul Fessler after the game:

I'm sure SCSU and UMD in particular would disagree, but I'm not so sure he isn't right.

Lets take the 2nd Five 92,96 Me and You and Let see what we can Do???....Look out Buck..here we come!

Bagaason at the point, Guinn at the the 2, Beck at the 3, Ledger and Kimbrough down low...Lets take the little buckster off the bench...and give them Wardell...I think we can win maybe 3 out of 10..;)..ps We get Sannes to to Help with the Scouting..!

Edited by coachdags

Lets take the 2nd Five 92,96 Me and You and Let see what we can Do???....Look out Buck..here we come!

Bagaason at the point, Guinn at the the 2, Beck at the 3, Ledger and Kimbrough down low...Lets take the little buckster off the bench...and give them Wardell...I think we can win maybe 3 out of 10..;)..ps We get Sannes to to Help with the Scouting..!

This is definitely the best depth I can recall UND ever having.

Roebuck stated on the radio this morning that Val Sannes will be back sometime start of next semester...also stated Guinn will rest tonight as she tweaked her ankle in warmups laste week, but still played through the pain. Said if it was a big game she would probably play tonight.

The 1998-99 national championship team started 18-0.

This current team has a tremendous amount of potential but until they win something, my bet goes with that 98-99 team as not only the most fun to watch but also UND's best! They were completely dominating, three titles in a row!

This current team has a tremendous amount of potential but until they win something, my bet goes with that 98-99 team as not only the most fun to watch but also UND's best! They were completely dominating, three titles in a row!

I think the 1997-98 team was the best. That was Tiffany Pudenz's senior year, plus I believe Mandy Arndtson was injured early in the 1998-99 season so she really didn't play that year, but she was very good her freshman year (97-98). The nucleus of Crouse, Jaime Pudenz, Richards and Winger was the same both years, but when you add Tiffany and Arndtson into the mix, that's what I think sets the 97-98 team apart. Both teams were certainly very good, though.

Another opposing coach with a very high opinion of the UND women:

"North Dakota is on an entirely other level of the teams we've seen this year, but UMD is definitely one of the best we've played," said Power, a former Bemidji State coach in his first year at Southwest.
(from the Duluth paper).

An update on the Youngblut kid from Iowa that signed in November, her 3 games last week she had 78pt's, including a game of 33 with 7 for 11 for 3's, 4 of 5 for 3's in another. Her team is ranked 2nd in state class 2A. Any news out there on the other girls that signed this fall.

Edited by iowasioux

An update on the Youngblut kid from Iowa that signed in November, her 3 games last week she had 78pt's, including a game of 33 with 7 for 11 for 3's, 4 of 5 for 3's in another. Her team is ranked 2nd in state class 2A. Any news out there on the other girls that signed this fall.

Impressive numbers. Hopefully she can step right in and contribute immediately next year. As for the other UND recruits, I believe Seay is averaging 21.5 ppg through two games. I'm not sure on Bergan, but she's playing on a very weak team this year so her numbers may be down from what they were last year.

Impressive numbers. Hopefully she can step right in and contribute immediately next year. As for the other UND recruits, I believe Seay is averaging 21.5 ppg through two games. I'm not sure on Bergan, but she's playing on a very weak team this year so her numbers may be down from what they were last year.

Stats won't show what Bergan can do. She won't be a scorer. She's going to have a job much like Tonia Jones did. Be quick, Play Defense for the length of the floor and get the team into the offense.

Stats won't show what Bergan can do. She won't be a scorer. She's going to have a job much like Tonia Jones did. Be quick, Play Defense for the length of the floor and get the team into the offense.

I agree. My numbers comment was directed as much to her assists as anything. I'm not sure there's anybody else on her team who can score, and hence, she probably won't have much in the way of assists even though she is a good passer. I do think she'll be more of an offensive threat than was Tonia Jones, although I agree that it won't be her role to shoot very often.

New poll is out:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Week Two Poll: December 13, 2005

USA TODAY ESPN Top 25 women's basketball poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, last weeks rank, current record and total points based on 25 points for first place through one point for 25th.

Rank Institution (First Place Votes) Last Week's Rank Record Points

1. Washburn University (Kan.) (18) 1 7-0 593

2. Drury University (Mo.) (3) 2 8-0 575

3. University of North Dakota (3) 4 11-0 553

4. University Of Charleston (W.Va.) 5 6-0 513

5. Emporia State University (Kan.) 6 10-0 500

6. Saint Cloud State University (Minn.) 7 9-0 466

7. Western Washington University 8 5-0 442

8. Henderson State University (Ark.) 10 6-1 372

9. Grand Valley State University (Mich.) 9 8-2 367

10. Seattle Pacific University (Wash.) 3 4-2 363

11. California State University - Chico 11 6-1 353

12. Glenville State College - Glenville (W.Va.) 13 8-0 348

13. Valdosta State University (Ga.) 14 7-1 298

14. Lake Superior State University (Mich.) 12 6-1 291

15. Carson-Newman College (Tenn.) 16 7-1 247

16. Rollins College (Fla.) 18 9-0 241

17. West Texas A&M University 22 9-0 161

18. Central Missouri State University 19 6-2 160

19. American International College (Mass.) 23 8-0 154

20. Angelo State University (Texas) 17 7-2 152

21. Fairmont State University (W.Va.) 20 6-1 123

22. University Of Minnesota-Duluth 25 10-1 85

23. Shaw University (N.C.) 15 3-3 76

24. Florida Gulf Coast University NR 10-0 75

25. California University (Pa.) 21 6-3 46

Others Receiving Votes: Regis University - 32; Fort Valley State University - 26; Saint Augustine's College - 24; Clayton College & State University - 23; Stonehill College - 23; North Carolina Central University - 22; California State University - Bakersfield 15; Michigan Tech. University - 14; Lewis University - 10; California State Poly University - Pomona 9; Delta State University - 7; Missouri Western State - 7; Wheeling Jesuit University - 7; Paine College - 6; Wingate University - 6; North Georgia College & State University - 5; Southern Conn. St. University - 4; Pace University - 3; Bellarmine University - 2; Mars Hill College - 1.

Wow the women struggled tonight, did any one listen to the game? The sioux won by 40 something last time they played just a few weeks ago, I understand they shot very poorly, but what did Crookston do to narrow the margin so much. It makes it look as if maybe they are not progressing the way they should be.