SiouxSports.com Forum

MN: A big glass house?

jimdahl

MN's favorite columnist, Virg Foss, reports:

In the Twin Cities, in particular, the Sioux are being panned for barely squeaking by in their victories. On a radio station in the Twin Cities this week, the Sioux were called a "one-line team," with the other lines being "garbage."

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforkshe...rts/4729310.htm

At first glance it is an interesting statistical anomoly. When you look at the conference standings UND has 36 GF and 30 GA, a surprisingly low differential for an 8-1-1 team (UMD also has 36 GF and 30 GA but is 5-4-3).

However, a more thorough check reveals that only one school in the WCHA has better than a +6 goal differential, runaway leader Colorado College. Yes, you've figured out the punchline-- Minnesota has only a +6 goal differential with 34 GF and 28 GA.

It's true, the season isn't over yet and Minnesota and ND have played vastly different portions of their conference schedules. However, it's still pretty funny to see MN fans crowing about goal differential.

What is even more interesting is that we have both played Wisconsin and Mankato twice. They also have played CC twice and UND has played Anchorage twice.

But, the Gopher's other four league games have been against Tech, a perennial bottom dweller, and our other four have been against St. Cloud, and although they aren't having a great year they are clearer much better than Tech.

What does all this mean, well with 40% of their league games played thus far against lowly Tech, you would expect the Gopher goal differential to be much higher!

"As far as the Sue being a better team right now I would have to say it is more consistency and cohesiveness than anything else. When they come here they will realize the error of their ways."

this was posted on the prideonice.com board. Laugh if you please.

Guys you have to look at the source. The original statement was made by KFAN. They are a joke PA doesn't know what a Hockey puck looks like and Dubay is to busy tripping over the cheerleader trying to get a interview with Riddle. UND is off to a great start and thats what you should focus on. You are doing better than I thought you would be doing at this time. I think the one negative for you so far is all the home games you have played. If you can keep this pace up on the road, then you are the real deal. We all know though that it is tough on the road in the WCHA. Good luck to you, except when you are playing the Gophers. I will miss the series in January. I will be in San Diego on a golf course. (I couldn't help it, it was the only time my wife could get off work.)

DLW4GOPHERS -- I hate to see you denied the chance to watch your gophers --- on the 11th (Saturday night) there is a gathering of Sioux fans at Players @7061 Clairemont Mesa BLVD Kearny Mesa in San Diego(one block east of the 805) -- here is the link to the alumni website (scroll down a little bit) and there is a contact person (for UND) if you really want to watch the game you could always ask the contact if you'd be "welcome" http://www.undalumni.org/reunion.htm

Have a nice trip.

DLW4GOPHERS, I agree with your assessment of PA and Dubay. Neither really paid attention to Minnesota hockey until mid 2001 if that early, much like the rest of the TC media. ??? On the other side, Foss naturally goes over the top with his views of the "weak schedule" drivel.

I have yet to hear a coach, player or anybody who's actually played the game claim a "weak schedule" benefits UND, or Minnesota for that matter, especially when it counts in the spring. However, I find it annoying "defending" UND's schedule to some of my Minnesota friends, and a few USCHO posters, and then have them claim trot out stats for Huntsville, Ohio State, etc. to show the "strength" of their schedule.

Fortunately, the games are played on the ice and teams win the games they should, regardless of schedule, injuries, calls, bad ice, etc. January should be a telling time for much of the WCHA, IMHO.

I am not sure anyone has noticed this but UND is 4 wins away from their win total from last season. They have like 20 some games left if they win 10 more I predict that they get a berth to the NCAA tourney. I guess as long as UND wins Dubay can choke on his fricken mike for all I care...

Lets see I remember people saying at the begining of the season that ND had a weak non-conference schedule. After we were sucessful there the nay sayers said just wait till they get into the conference, we have been there and we are 8-1-1 in a some what semi-strong schedule. Now nay sayers are saying just wait till UND plays C.C. and UofM. Ok, I am ready to see what happens... If we split them games we are sitting ok in my book...

CC will be tough; don't the Sioux get them 4 times in January? Gophs should be no worse than a split, though.

There will be a major change in gears for the Sioux after these December opponents, then CC. Maybe the CC players will load up with turkey and mashed potatoes during the holiday ??? Send a truck load of 'em from the potato factory now.

CC will be tough; don't the Sioux get them 4 times in January? Gophs should be no worse than a split, though.

There will be a major change in gears for the Sioux after these December opponents, then CC. Maybe the CC players will load up with turkey and mashed potatoes during the holiday ??? Send a truck load of 'em from the potato factory now.

I think UND can go like 1-1-2 couple of ties against C.C. or something like that. No offense, no team this season scares me? I think UND is about par with the other teams in the league. Denver isn't playing as well as most of us thought they would this season. We will see...

I actually could care less what some Jack Ass from KFAN thinks about UND, especially since they have never seen UND play but have the gall to say oh UND has an average defense (yep two are world junior players, pretty average), then went on about the medocre goaltending. Ok, fine, I will buy that one. Then they try to say with a straight face that say UND only has one line, yesh.

Then to top it all off, actually last weekend Patrick Reussie was on the radio with some of his clowns (I was getting his show out of 970 in Fargo) some (Jack Ass) caller called up and made some off the cuff comment about how there were they were morning the loss of Ralph and wearing 10,000 swastika arm bands, then the comments about the arena, blah, blah, vintage JBB, Johnny Hoff stuff. I thought what ever dick head but I was shocked that Pat Reussie would just laugh and not correct the guy on it.

Did anyone else out there catch Tim O'Keefe's interview with Rachel Blount (Star/Tribune journalist) between the 1st and 2nd period? She was complimentary of ZP. Some talk about the pipeline (TO'K's word) from SSM To UND -- yes, UND was able to sign players the Gophers wanted, however, UMin signed players UND wanted -- two good programs. A little talk about Herb Brooks and his comments (he coached Dean Blais, likes Dean Blais -- words may have been said but the context/tone probably can be spun many different ways).

With the Gophers not playing this weekend, I suppose RB had an open weekend and came up to see the Sioux (at relatively full strength, prior to World Jrs.) before they show up in Mpls.

I actually like Rachel Blount's coverage of college hockey in this area, and it's gotten better over the past couple of years. She's one of the few media-types here who actually pays attention to the sport, and she doesn't just focus on Minnesota when they're winning.