SiouxSports.com Forum

Game day Chatroom?

woodbutcher

I have wished more than once this website had a live chat box where fellow fans could shoot the s**t in an informal setting.

After reading the topic "Meeting People from this forum" on drywalltalk.com (Drywall is my profession.) I read this and wanted to see if there was anyway to get one on SiouxSports.

On another forum I'm on we have a live chat box. members logged in can bs with each other. its really cool. you get to know the people more personally than just replying to posts

As to chat rooms, I've just never seen a technology that I particularly liked.

In summary, I've certainly thought about it, but haven't been particularly driven to do anything about it yet.

Its been five years, there has to be some you like by now or driven enough. ;)

Good question.

The original gameday chat question from five years ago has been covered pretty well by cover-it-live. That has its pros and cons -- the pretty minor con is that it's really more "live blogging" than pure chat room (by design, the Herald and UND guys are kind of the hosts, and everyone else guests), the biggest pro is that it's a social medium in which you can interact with the Herald and UND athletics information people (though since they now venture out into unmoderated social media like twitter, it sure would be nice if they started interacting instead of just lurking and reading here -- the largest dedicated social media specifically dedicated to UND athletics ;) -- but I digress...)

However, chat or a shoutbox for other times, and to improve interaction with other fans is a good idea. I've been very interested in and done some work (some of it not yet seen) on integrating other social media into the site, but adding some of those capabilities to the site itself and seeing what takes catches on is worth looking into.

Good question.

The original gameday chat question from five years ago has been covered pretty well by cover-it-live. That has its pros and cons -- the pretty minor con is that it's really more "live blogging" than pure chat room (by design, the Herald and UND guys are kind of the hosts, and everyone else guests), the biggest pro is that it's a social medium in which you can interact with the Herald and UND athletics information people (though since they now venture out into unmoderated social media like twitter, it sure would be nice if they started interacting instead of just lurking and reading here -- the largest dedicated social media specifically dedicated to UND athletics ;) -- but I digress...)

However, chat or a shoutbox for other times, and to improve interaction with other fans is a good idea. I've been very interested in and done some work (some of it not yet seen) on integrating other social media into the site, but adding some of those capabilities to the site itself and seeing what takes catches on is worth looking into.

Well, here I/we are :)

We've actually had plenty of internal dialogue within the UND media relations office about developing a presence on SiouxSports.com. I guess subconsciously we were just waiting for you to call us out!

That we'd like to have a presence here (other than "lurking") has always been a given; rather, the discussion has always centered around what exactly that presence would be, and how would it best serve not only UND athletics, but our fan base as well.

The hangup has always been the temptation to address every rumor or falsehood we come across. That would be counterproductive. After all, rumor-based discussions and positive buzz do not have to be mutually exclusive. I'd like our presence to be a constructive one so I'll be picking my spots, at least initially, whether that is by injecting myself into general discussion, or by responding to direct feedback.

Our athletics M-O during Brian Faison's tenure has always been to be as transparent and as interactive with our fan base as possible. As of today, that extends to this board. In addition to e-mail, Facebook and Twitter, my hope is to merely provide one more avenue by which our fan base can interact with the athletics department.

Jayson Hajdu

Assistant Athletics Director, Media Relations

University of North Dakota

jayson.hajdu@athletics.und.edu

www.twitter.com/UNDSID

Well, here I/we are :)

We've actually had plenty of internal dialogue within the UND media relations office about developing a presence on SiouxSports.com. I guess subconsciously we were just waiting for you to call us out!

That we'd like to have a presence here (other than "lurking") has always been a given; rather, the discussion has always centered around what exactly that presence would be, and how would it best serve not only UND athletics, but our fan base as well.

Would you be willing to have your own section on here to answer questions on a regular basis? Obviously not rumors or hypotheticals, but to give us the Athletic Department's stance on subjects that you could discuss.

Do many other colleges have an "official" presence on a message board?

A couple updates:

Shoutbox. The profile "status" feature is now available in the sidebar as a shoutbox. If you've previously hidden the sidebar (as I had) you can unhide it from the main page by clicking the little green widget with the white left-facing double arrows on the right-hand side of the screen (should be almost straight to the right of the "UND Sports" header).

Chat. Just to the right of "Members" in the green navigation bar near the top is a "Chat" link. When someone else is in the chat room, a highlighted number will appear next to the word, AND the "who's online" list at the bottom of the forum now also contains a list of who's in the chat room. I'm still not sure what it's role would be, given that the gameday threads and cover-it-live have game coverage handled pretty well, but I'm happy to give it a shot.