SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I'm very happy we got Forney. He's going to be a good one.

But let's ask this question:

Would the Sioux be interested in bringing in anyone at all next year other than Marto, Vandie, and Forney? If not, how does this affect Chay Genoway, Darcy Zajac, and all of the other names floating around?

I'm very happy we got Forney. He's going to be a good one.

But let's ask this question:

Would the Sioux be interested in bringing in anyone at all next year other than Marto, Vandie, and Forney? If not, how does this affect Chay Genoway, Darcy Zajac, and all of the other names floating around?

It's hard to conjecture due to the variables. How many players leave early, how much scholarship $ frees up, how much is needed to get the needed guys, etc.

Here's my own wild speculation: the Sioux will lose Prpich, Marvin, and probably Smaby, Stafford, and Zajac. I think we'll need 5 players next year. Other early defections are possible to the pros (Toews, Lee, Oshie, Finley, etc.), but I think all of those guys are at least one year away from being ready. It's also possible someone could leave because of dissatisfaction over playing time or other reasons.

VandeVelde will be in the lineup next year. I'm still worried about his inconsistency. He started out blazing for a mediocre at best Lincoln team, but he's done nothing the last six games or so.

I wonder if Marto may be a potential candidate for a second year in the USHL? Remember that both Andy Schneider and Nick Fuher played two years at Lincoln post-high school.

Forney is a maybe for next year. I think he'll be at UND, but he's a kid who could potentially defer for a year. In the end, it would be very surpising to see a kid go the USHL after being drafted in the first-round (by no means a sure thing).

I'd guess that Eric Gryba is the #1 target on D (after Tyson Dowzak went to the WHL).

I think Darcy Zajac would be a good fit at forward. The Sioux brought in a lot of smaller, skilled forwards this year and I'm sure are looking to add some size and grit for next year. VandeVelde and Forney have size and skill, but from what I've heard, Zajac may be grittier.

Goaltender Marc Cheverie has already been in on a visit. He may be targetted for '07 to replace Parise, but he is getting a lot of interest from other top schools. Could the Sioux find space for him next year?

I'm not sold on Chay Genoway based on my limited viewings when he was at Shattuck. He's fairly skilled, but small. He can play forward or D and that's a big plus. I doubt that he'd get a big scholarship (but what do I know?).

Here's my own wild speculation: the Sioux will lose Prpich, Marvin, and probably Smaby, Stafford, and Zajac. I think we'll need 5 players next year. Other early defections are possible to the pros (Toews, Lee, Oshie, Finley, etc.), but I think all of those guys are at least one year away from being ready. It's also possible someone could leave because of dissatisfaction over playing time or other reasons.

VandeVelde will be in the lineup next year. I'm still worried about his inconsistency. He started out blazing for a mediocre at best Lincoln team, but he's done nothing the last six games or so.

I wonder if Marto may be a potential candidate for a second year in the USHL? Remember that both Andy Schneider and Nick Fuher played two years at Lincoln post-high school.

Forney is a maybe for next year. I think he'll be at UND, but he's a kid who could potentially defer for a year. In the end, it would be very surpising to see a kid go the USHL after being drafted in the first-round (by no means a sure thing).

I'd guess that Eric Gryba is the #1 target on D (after Tyson Dowzak went to the WHL).

I think Darcy Zajac would be a good fit at forward. The Sioux brought in a lot of smaller, skilled forwards this year and I'm sure are looking to add some size and grit for next year. VandeVelde and Forney have size and skill, but from what I've heard, Zajac may be grittier.

Goaltender Marc Cheverie has already been in on a visit. He may be targetted for '07 to replace Parise, but he is getting a lot of interest from other top schools. Could the Sioux find space for him next year?

I'm not sold on Chay Genoway based on my limited viewings when he was at Shattuck. He's fairly skilled, but small. He can play forward or D and that's a big plus. I doubt that he'd get a big scholarship (but what do I know?).

I wonder the same thing about Marto. I know from an article in the paper earlier this year his USHL coach was not to hot on the play of ANY of his defensemen. Could be that Marto could use an additional year of schooling. Then again, it's a long season and he may make big strides yet this year.

I wonder, should Parise maintain his stellar play, if he isn't also a flight risk after this year. Potentially he could be in a great bargaining position as an undrafted player. That could open some space for Cheverie. I like what I've read about him.

I agree we could use another hard nosed player like Darcy Zajac who has some size. Seems like he could be a great fit. He's having a very solid year in the BCHL, but he should considering his age. I'm guessing he's a guy that won't require a full scholarship scenario.

I'm interested in seeing how Chay Genoway works out, like you. He's not very big for playing D, so it would seem he needs to compensate by being very effective offensively. He's got modest numbers in the BCHL right now. Will be interesting to see how he works out. I don't think his offensive numbers at forward at Shattuck were earth shattering, though they were solid. Seems kind of like a "tweener".

Oooh, uninformed but intelligent speculation. Count me in.

Kermit, I agree with your projections for departures next year. I think it's possible depending on New Jersey's offer and the brothers' desires that perhaps Travis Zajac could stay to play with his brother for a year, if he were to come to UND. Maybe UND's offer could be: Darcy's scholarship kicks in when Travis' ends. And then a few years from now Darcy's could end when the next brother's begins. Sort of a decade long Zajac family sholarship. (I have no idea if the next brother is a D-1 type player; just playing.)

On Genoway, I have wondered if he would come in and be the jack-of-all-trades person on the roster, similar to what Marvin has been. Injuries on defense, play Marvin. Injuries up front, play Marvin. I have heard that the Vernon fans love Genoway's skating game.

The step to the USHL is a tough one for a lot of players, even some who become good college players. Wheeler apparently looks great at MN, and he had a solid but not at all spectacular USHL year. Chris Porter came on in the second half at Lincoln, but overall didn't have a great USHL year. He was very ready for college, though, a brick house on skates from his first game. Hopefully Vandevelde and Marto can use their USHL seasons well.

Darcy seems to be a Kaip-esque player. Gritty, can score.

Chay Genoway seems to me more of a Lee Marvin or Scott Foyt type player. He seems ok but he's most adept at being able to play both forward and defense.

I think the two we need to hit hardest is Cheverie and Gryba. I am not convinced Zajac will leave early but I wouldn't put it past Stafford and certainly not Smaby to leave.

Who would you speculate might leave the team due to playing time? The only guys who are going to get limited playing time this year are:

Miller, Martens, Alexander, Foyt, Marvin, and Walski (whom I pick to get no playing time just due to the two guys ahead of him).

Who would transfer? Miller?

The way I see things, Hakstol is going to have a luxury this year in being able to move 4 lines all the time simply due to the immense talent on the team at forward.

Who would you speculate might leave the team due to playing time?

I don't have anyone in particular in mind and I certainly don't have any information. I'm not even saying that it is likely or that it is a good idea, only that it is possible. Wisconsin and Michigan State have each had a forward leave in the past couple of weeks because of playing time issues. It doesn't have to be someone who is often scratched from the lineup. Sometimes it may be a kid on the fourth line who thinks he should be on the first line and all of the special teams. It's hard to know what goes on in a kid's mind. :silly:

My whole point is that I don't know for sure who will or won't be back next year.

Darcy seems to be a Kaip-esque player. Gritty, can score.

Chay Genoway seems to me more of a Lee Marvin or Scott Foyt type player. He seems ok but he's most adept at being able to play both forward and defense.

I think the two we need to hit hardest is Cheverie and Gryba. I am not convinced Zajac will leave early but I wouldn't put it past Stafford and certainly not Smaby to leave.

Who would you speculate might leave the team due to playing time? The only guys who are going to get limited playing time this year are:

Miller, Martens, Alexander, Foyt, Marvin, and Walski (whom I pick to get no playing time just due to the two guys ahead of him).

Who would transfer? Miller?

The way I see things, Hakstol is going to have a luxury this year in being able to move 4 lines all the time simply due to the immense talent on the team at forward.

I have not seen the "scoring" part of Kaip to this point. I believe he has played at least 15 games in a SIoux uniform and don't believe he has yet registered a goal. He has 0 points so far this year. I realize it is important to have a good checking line and he seems to check fairly well. I have not seen much in the way of offense from him however. Maybe that is partly due to the role he has been asked to play by the coaches. You would think he would get one in the net here pretty soon if not just by accident.

I have not seen the "scoring" part of Kaip to this point.

I agree. Kaip does well on the PK unit and he plays with an edge--occasionally too much so. He's terrible on faceoffs. He's produced nothing on offense. I recall a play in the second period of Saturday's Denver game when Prpich broke loose at the Denver blue line. Kaip had the puck at his own blue line and he did nothing. He didn't seem to see Prpich at all. Mike gave him a look at the end of the shift like "didn't you see me?"

I have not seen the "scoring" part of Kaip to this point. I believe he has played at least 15 games in a SIoux uniform and don't believe he has yet registered a goal. He has 0 points so far this year. I realize it is important to have a good checking line and he seems to check fairly well. I have not seen much in the way of offense from him however. Maybe that is partly due to the role he has been asked to play by the coaches. You would think he would get one in the net here pretty soon if not just by accident.

My thoughts exactly.

30 career games - 0 goals, 4 assists.

He plays an important role on the team, but providing offense isn't what he brings to the table.

Chay Genoway with 2 assists and 2nd star of the game last night for Vernon.

17 games 2-10-12 27PIMS

Darcy Zajac is 4th in scoring (2nd in points/gm)

17 games 14-16-30 15PIMS

Marc Cheverie Tops in GAA in the BCHL

8-1 in 10 games 1.99GA 0.926 svs%

Mario Lamoureux

13 games 3-1-4 34PIMS

Eric Gryba

11 games 0-3-3 29PIMS

Drew Fisher

9 games 0-1-1 4PIMS

Jordan Willert

13 games 2-7-9 6PIMS

Michael Forney (Graduated to Sioux Recruits Thread!)

I'm going to throw out a few more names just for giggles. I'd love to hear other opinions.

Aaron Marvin, junior forward, Warroad HS. I've only seen him live a couple of times, but I really like him. He's a fairly tall, rangy kid with excellent skills. I think he will be a real good one.

Jordy Christian, junior forward, Moorhead HS. Small, but very quick and fun to watch. He will definitely need to get stronger, but he's got great bloodlines (son of former Sioux Eddie Christian, nephew of Dave).

Carl Sneep, senior defenseman, Brainerd HS. Another multi-sport athlete who elected to remain in HS instead of go to the USHL. Plays tight end and linebacker for the football team. He has produced very well in the Midwest HS Elite League this fall despite playing football at the same time. Big, strong, athletic.

..and for my super sleeper pick: Kai Kantola, a forward for the FM Jets. He's the only 'A' player in the NAHL according to NHL Scouting's Players to Watch list for 2005.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits