SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Darcy Zajac at Salmon Arm had a nice weekend.  In three wins, he scored five goals and added two assists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see Darcy broke into the top twenty with his weekend.

Wonder of Brandon Wong of Merritt might be on the Sioux radar. Had a good year last year and an excellent start this year, lists "obtaining a university scholarship" as a goal in his bio.

http://www.bchl.bc.ca/leagues/stats_hockey...=1413&link=BCHL

I see Darcy broke into the top twenty with his weekend.

Wonder of Brandon Wong of Merritt might be on the Sioux radar. Had a good year last year and an excellent start this year, lists "obtaining a university scholarship" as a goal in his bio.

http://www.bchl.bc.ca/leagues/stats_hockey...=1413&link=BCHL

And he's in the top 10 in goals scored. I think there are about 4 guys tied at 8.

I thought that Brandon Wong committed to St. Cloud last year at some point.  Did that fall through?  If so, does anyone know what happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't remember it, but Heisenberger doesn't have him listed as committed to anyone.

According to USHR.com, Eric Gryba, the big defenseman now playing for Green Bay in the USHL, is considering UND, BU, and Ohio State.

Gryba is listed at #76 among the McKeens's top 100 prospects for the 2006 draft which just came out.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/

Here's some others of interest on that list:

1. Phil Kessel (UM)

2. Michael Frolik (Czech Republic)

3. Jonathan Toews (UND)

4. Peter Mueller (WHL)

5. Erik Johnson (UM recruit)

11. Kyle Okposo (UM recruit)

18. Nigel Williams (UW recruit)

19. Michael Forney (Sioux or Gophers?)

24. Tyson Dowzak (WHL)

36. Ryan Flynn (UM recruit)

50. Mike Carman (UM recruit)

52. Blake Geoffrion (UW recruit)

According to USHR.com, Eric Gryba, the big defenseman now playing for Green Bay in the USHL, is considering UND, BU, and Ohio State.

Gryba is listed at #76 among the McKeens's top 100 prospects for the 2006 draft which just came out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joe Finley was also projected as a 3rd round pick. Then he committed to UND and jumped up to a 1st rounder. Brad Berry and Dave Hakstol have acquired quite a reputation for taking big defensemen and developing them into NHL ready defensemen. I heard this from an NHL Director of Scouting, GM and coach at the Frozen Four last spring. NHL teams know that UND develops defensemen better than any college hockey program in the country.

The word has spread to players also. That's one of the reasons Finley picked UND. He knew the Sioux coaches would do the best job of preparing him for the next level. If Finley had picked the other school he was considering, he most likely would have remained a 3 round pick.

That's also one of the reasons Brian Lee picked UND. Right now, UND pretty much gets their pick of the big skilled defensemen. Lee and Finley are to two most recent. Dowzak would have been another one to pick UND, but unfortunately college didn't turn out to be the best route for him.

If Gryba picks UND, it will be interesting to see where he goes in the NHL draft. :D

Joe Finley was also projected as a 3rd round pick. Then he committed to UND and jumped up to a 1st rounder. Brad Berry and Dave Hakstol have acquired quite a reputation for taking big defensemen and developing them into NHL ready defensemen. I heard this from an NHL Director of Scouting, GM and coach at the Frozen Four last spring. NHL teams know that UND develops defensemen better than any college hockey program in the country.

The word has spread to players also. That's one of the reasons Finley picked UND. He knew the Sioux coaches would do the best job of preparing him for the next level. If Finley had picked the other school he was considering, he most likely would have remained a 3 round pick.

That's also one of the reasons Brian Lee picked UND. Right now, UND pretty much gets their pick of the big skilled defensemen. Lee and Finley are to two most recent. Dowzak would have been another one to pick UND, but unfortunately college didn't turn out to be the best route for him.

If Gryba picks UND, it will be interesting to see where he goes in the NHL draft. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How many UND defenseman play every night in the NHL?

1. Leopold

2. Martin

3. Ballard

Finley wanted to go to the Sioux or the Gophers. Hakstol could promise he would suit up for every game while Lucia could not. I'm glad he didn't come here....we expect a little more than 3 points and 198 penalty minutes from our defenseman.

He commited to UND and then the scouts shot him up 2 rounds? Smoking too much fertalizer up there man. :D

1. Leopold

2. Martin

3. Ballard

Finley wanted to go to the Sioux or the Gophers. Hakstol could promise he would suit up for every game while Lucia could not. I'm glad he didn't come here....we expect a little more than 3 points and 198 penalty minutes from our defenseman.

He commited to UND and then the scouts shot him up 2 rounds? Smoking too much fertalizer up there man. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL i'm sure you're just thrilled that you lost a first round draft pick to your main rivals.

1. Leopold

2. Martin

3. Ballard

Not taking anything away from the 3 guys you mentioned or Lucia, but they are completely different types of D men than Finley, Jones, etc. I believe Rick specifically pointed out "big" physical defensemen.

1. Leopold

2. Martin

3. Ballard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How many Gopher Defenseman have their jock strap left at the blue line on TV?

1. Harrington......Spirko

UND recruits defenseman that aren't afraid to hit people, and yes, maybe they aren't the "prolific" scorer that the UofM has, but when you get hit, you'll think twice about coming down the middle of the rink or along the boards.

Nobody is saying the Gophers or Michigan or Wisconsin or any other program don't produce NHL-Quality defenseman...The reason Hakstol promised him he could play right away was because of the number of D-Man we lost last year...The UofM has a lot of returning D-Man so obviously Lucia couldn't promise him playing time...But that's alright, we'll take your Gopher "defect" as you seem to think Finley is and we'll sit him on the blue line and wait for your little forwards to come up the ice so that Mr. Finley can properly introduce himself to all of them...

man your a tool! how many checks did your d men and the rest of the gophers dodge because they were scared sh!tless in the frozen four last year?? you do remember that game dont you?? if not i can ship you a dvd copy to refresh your memory.. go back to your little hole in the ground and hope you dont get beat 4-2 AGAIN......

the gophers produce good solid pros just like the sioux do...as soon as jones and greene pay there short AHL dues they will be right up with the d men you mentioned...

1. Leopold

2. Martin

3. Ballard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad he didn't come here....we expect a little more than 3 points and 198 penalty minutes from our defenseman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We expect a little more . . . . ? What are you on the coaching staff now?

Are these numbers more to your liking?

7 pts - 82 pm

13 pts - 149 pm

11 pts - 112 pm

17 pts - 130 pm

Those are DeMarchi's numbers by season and it is well known how much Gopher fans (most anyway) loved his style of play.

How about:

8 pts - 68 pm and gone after one season, ready or NOT.

Those are Jake Taylor's sparkling numbers while wearing that treasured M.

Now, the kicker:

TWO goals - 100 pm and a full roll of tp for every time Spirko steps on the ice. Yes, Harrington had quite a season last year. Say, isn't he the Gophs leading returning d-man?

TWO goals - 100 pm and a full roll of tp for every time Spirko steps on the ice. Yes, Harrington had quite a season last year. Say, isn't he the Gophs leading returning d-man?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now there's the type of dman we all love the Gopher to have. :D

1. Leopold

2. Martin

3. Ballard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By my count there have been 29 defensemen that played for the Gophers that went on to play in the NHL, past and present.

Is there a former NoDak defenseman that played more games in the NHL than former Gopher Reed Larson?

For the record Reed Larson played in 904 NHL games. 222 goals 463 assists 685 total points. 1391 penalty minutes. #8 scorer in Detroit Red Wings history. First American Defenseman to score 200 NHL goals and sixth defenseman overall to score 200 goals.

That move by Spirko on Harrington was pretty good. It reminded me of the time Aaron Miskovich undressed Curtis Murphy shorthanded at Mariucci in 97.

I pretty much don't participate in the flame wars, but I've seen enough to give you some advice: Don't ask a question like the number of games played unless you're sure you're going to be right.

Just a quick check shows Craig Ludwig with 1,256 NHL games played, and James Patrick with 1,280 NHL games. I can see how you missed them, though, since they aren't in Larson's ballpark for games played.

edit: gasp ... redwing beat me to it

Adding some more:

Murray Baron 988 and counting.

(two forwards, Tony Hrkac and Troy Murray are DQ'd for being forwards and Belfour DQ'd because he's a Goalie)

I can understand the comparison with Reed and these guys offensively. As you know Patrick was pretty good defensively and last time I checked, Ludwig and Baron were/are defensive defensemen.

Dont forget Murray Baron, Rick Zombo and Geoff Smith.

Speaking of Ballard, I wonder If Bochenski will light him up at this level too.  Remember the final 5 a couple years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't forget Baron :love:

And Zombo and Smith had less than 900 NHL games.

We have a number over 500 though...