SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

45 minutes ago, tnt said:

I don't exactly call Tony Hrkac and Greg Johnson watered down.  There are many players that you heard about that would be the next coming at UND, meaning they would be difference makers from the start, and if you don't call guys like that blue chippers then guys like Gino and Dean didn't have many blue chip recruits.  Like I said, by the 1st round definition, guys like Jonathan Toews wasn't a blue chip recruit coming into college because he hadn't been drafted, ditto Paul Kariya.   They probably would have been drafted high anyway, but a lot of guys fall quite a bit in a year, and a lot of guys improve a lot in a year.  I am sure both Toews and Kariya improved their draft status with their outstanding rookie seasons.  With guys like Hrkac, Johnson, Troy Murray and Jason Blake (even though he transfered), there was so much buzz surrounding their first season that it is hard to consider them anything but blue chip, especially when you rarely had first round picks in college years ago.  

Toews essentially spent what would have been his senior year of high school playing as a freshman at UND and looking at birthdates it is possible Kariya did the same?

The problem with labeling a player a blue chipper for a college team based on his NHL draft position can be a little tricky. Depending on the NHL team and their needs they will sometimes take a shot on a "project" who because of size or late development they feel could develop. Players like these are going to develop in college but may not contribute much.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, tho0505 said:

The top 12-14 players that are NCAA eligble pushes into the second round easily.  Again,  the narrow minded definition of "blue chippers" that they aren't second rounders is short sighted. 

Our program IS there. We land nearly every year top 12-14 NCAA bound players. Ranging from the first and second round. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying but I was referring to a couple of years of no Blue Chippers - 6-7 players per year times two.  Do I like second rounders - absolutely.  Do I want us to be a top school that top talent wants to attend because of fans, tradition, and player development - absolutely again.  We need to get back on top and soon.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Toews essentially spent what would have been his senior year of high school playing as a freshman at UND and looking at birthdates it is possible Kariya did the same?

The problem with labeling a player a blue chipper for a college team based on his NHL draft position can be a little tricky. Depending on the NHL team and their needs they will sometimes take a shot on a "project" who because of size or late development they feel could develop. Players like these are going to develop in college but may not contribute much.

Which is exactly what I was alluding to when I brought up Joe Finley versus Tychonick or JBD.  You can still have a first round draft pick that is a project that isn't expected to have immediate impact at the college level. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Apparently some prefer a more watered down definition of blue chipper....

How is that watered down? It's being realistic and evaluating players on more than a draft position.  You need to when the majority of top players DON'T play NCAA. 

The definition defined here isn't how it's defined in other sports recruiting. 

Screenshot_20180525-095404.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Exactly! Rocco Grimaldi goes in the first round in his draft year, had he had an "NHL type size." Instead he fell to the second round. Still a top college recruit.  He was the 2nd college bound player taken! 33rd overall and according to some at Sioux Sports.com he's not a blue chippers!  Zero logic in evaluating NCAA players strictly by a draft position. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

How is that watered down? It's being realistic and evaluating players on more than a draft position.  You need to when the majority of top players DON'T play NCAA. 

The definition defined here isn't how it's defined in other sports recruiting. 

Screenshot_20180525-095404.png

Wait, but, I thought they had to be a first rounder? Aka... they are only a blue chipper at pick 32, but not 33. This CAN'T be the definition :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I don't want the best player from any USHL or BCHL or AJHL team. 

I want the second best player from every USHL and BCHL and AJHL team. <--- a Vegas state of mind. ;) 

First Rounders, second rounders, third rounders - either way as long as we don't return to the "we need more grinders" philosophy that gave us our Junior class.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tho0505 said:

? Says who?  No recruiting site that I've seen define s them like this. Like that gives perfect validation based SOLELY on being one of the first 31 players taken.

Again, only 6-8 players that are college eligible get taken in the first round. Typically UND gets their hands on one or two. This year we have two that could go in the first to early second. To not call them "big chip" would be ridiculous if they went 32 or 40th overall.   Zero logic in that. 

It’s always been that way.  I’ve been following college hockey for well over 20 years.  You are correct 6-8...there’s 6-8 blue chips a year.  Feel free to call them whatever you want if it makes you feel better.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

Not many second and third rounders have immediate impacts at UND.

When is the last time we had any?  Mismash...and?  However I’ll have to disagree with you.  Mismash was solid last year.  Elite?  No.  But he was solid.

4 hours ago, Irish said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying but I was referring to a couple of years of no Blue Chippers - 6-7 players per year times two.  Do I like second rounders - absolutely.  Do I want us to be a top school that top talent wants to attend because of fans, tradition, and player development - absolutely again.  We need to get back on top and soon.  

Exactly blue chips, second rounders, third rounders whatever.  Just get them to commit in piles :)

im fine with the league leaders in ushl and bc (they’ll go late)...just get skilled kids.  Top 5-10 in the ushl....where are they going?

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Exactly blue chips, second rounders, third rounders whatever.  Just get them to commit in piles :)

im fine with the league leaders in ushl and bc (they’ll go late)...just get skilled kids.  Top 5-10 in the ushl....where are they going?

Doesn't always translate.

Wilkie led the USHL in goal scoring his last year of juniors.

Cichy was the best player in the league his last year of juniors. Completely dominant in the playoffs in leading Indiana to the title.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

It’s always been that way.  I’ve been following college hockey for well over 20 years.  You are correct 6-8...there’s 6-8 blue chips a year.  Feel free to call them whatever you want if it makes you feel better.

Head scratching... Again, Rocco Grimaldi was not a blue-chip because he was taken 33rd overall? There's more at work than just a draft position. Kieffer bellows went first round at bu and had very little impact.

According to your definition of blue Chip the six to eight players eligible in the first round, typically UND gets at least one. That being said, many years there are even less than that available. Case in point, Roccos draft season only one player play college hockey out of that first round. Thus the definition is flawed.

• Upvote 1

The definition of blue chipper is subjective. Some limit it to a very select group and use draft status to draw the line. Others define it as anyone the top colleges are recruiting. IMO, only one of those gives the term any value. 

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The definition of blue chipper is subjective. Some limit it to a very select group and use draft status to draw the line. Others define it as anyone the top colleges are recruiting. IMO, only one of those gives the term any value. 

So in your mind Joe Finley was blue chip and Tony Hrkac and Greg Johnson were not?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Doesn't always translate.

Wilkie led the USHL in goal scoring his last year of juniors.

Cichy was the best player in the league his last year of juniors. Completely dominant in the playoffs in leading Indiana to the title.

Wilkie was tied in goal scoring :)