SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Exactly, it's pretty easy to say someone was a big miss knowing that you won't be called on it a year or two after the fact when they don't pan out. Good example with Riley Simpson. Once said player starts lighting it up we can consider him a miss, until then it's pure guessing based on development and how he would've(or wouldn't have) fit into our program.

Simpson committed as an over-ager a few months before the season. This kid committed before being drafted in the OHL. Not much in common beyond the school they committed to.

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Simpson committed as an over-ager a few months before the season. This kid committed before being drafted in the OHL. Not much in common beyond the school they committed to.

Both were thought of as "misses" when they committed elsewhere. Simpson fell flat, let's wait to see before considering this one a definite miss as well.

51 minutes ago, tnt said:

Just to put some perspective on this, there was someone that projected another Arizona State player, Riley Simpson,  as a big loss for UND.  His sophomore season he didn't have a point, but of course you can bet that whoever considered him a big loss would have been ripping on the coaches had he put up big numbers.  Remember all the people thinking UND should sign a bunch of players off the EGF championship hockey team?  Probably one of the players who wasn't mentioned much was Colton Poolman, a very nice edition.  

I think I know where you’re going with this but I agree.  Simpson didn’t do much in juniors either.  I do remember the EGF stuff.  Another one was grant Johnson last year.  Big ND HS numbers but hasn’t lit the world on fire in the NA.

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Both were thought of as "misses" when they committed elsewhere. Simpson fell flat, let's wait to see before considering this one a definite miss as well.

ASU just got a young kid from Tonka as well. That's more of a miss than a kid from Toronto. They can probably better recruit farther down the road than the immediate future.

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

ASU just got a young kid from Tonka as well. That's more of a miss than a kid from Toronto. They can probably better recruit farther down the road than the immediate future.

I'm sorry, if it turns out these kids are good, so be it, we can call them misses. At this time, them going to ASU shows me that we probably didn't go too hard at them.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm sorry, if it turns out these kids are good, so be it, we can call them misses. At this time, them going to ASU shows me that we probably didn't go too hard at them.

If Arizona State had recruited Jack Rowe when we did initially, I probably would have considered that a miss at the time because he was doing well in some of the select camps.  You don't hear a lot about Michael Fink anymore either.  Lot's of hits and misses when you're recruiting at those ages, and sadly it is probably going to get worse before it gets better. 

56 minutes ago, franchise said:

Don't underestimate that lure of living in AZ vs ND...plus the girls:love:

I definitely understand the benefits of playing for ASU, but there are plenty of "puck bunnies" (copyright, gfhockey) in GF. I don't need to go any further into why a player would pick UND, in general.

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I definitely understand the benefits of playing for ASU, but there are plenty of "puck bunnies" (copyright, gfhockey) in GF. I don't need to go any further into why a player would pick UND, in general.

Sure, but they're way better looking at ASU.  But yes, if hockey in the actual focus, it's a no brainer

23 minutes ago, franchise said:

Sure, but they're way better looking at ASU.  But yes, if hockey in the actual focus, it's a no brainer

Having been to ASU before, I agree that there are MORE of the top notch puck bunny, but there are still plenty in GF and less outside competition :D 

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Soph Teddy Laggerback. UND was looking at him but I don't think he had a offer. I watched him 5-6 times this year. Good shot, strong along the boards but definitely wasn't a great skater, might've been the biggest thing that held him back from more offers.

8 minutes ago, jk said:

Here's all I need to know about young prospects.  Two years in a row, the top forward prospect in his age group at the USA hockey festivals, according to USHR, was Colten St. Clair.  He turned out to be a good heart-and-soul teammate and player and a credit to the program, but he didn't end up being a difference maker.  Perhaps it was the injuries, but more likely it was just that guys plateau where they're destined to, and it's hard to know in advance where that will be.  A guy like Kleven, who just had a great camp, may end up a top ten NHL draft pick or he may see other guys on his team zoom past him as their skills blossom.  On the flip side, guys like LaDue and Poolman went from near anonymity as youths to the NHL.

So I won't get bent out of shape when we "miss" a youngster, or too excited when we land the next bantam superstar.

Umm...natty title game secret weapon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Badgers just locked up their first ‘03 Corson Ceulemans....I noticed Berry followed him on Twitter.  Wondering if we lost a battle there?

Article said he was interested in UW, UMD, and UND. 14 yrs old 

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Badgers just locked up their first ‘03 Corson Ceulemans....I noticed Berry followed him on Twitter.  Wondering if we lost a battle there?

We know that young commits to Wisconsin come here later anyway.  Boeser and Schmaltz should help in that regard.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits