SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

On 10/5/2017 at 2:46 PM, cberkas said:

Cole Shepard commited to Penticton Vees.

For whatever it's worth he follows both Berry and UND Hockey Tradition on twitter and they both follow him. He doesn't appear to follow any other college coaches or teams. Does follow both Cawlidge Hawkey Insider and College Hockey Inc.

He was given one of two A+ rankings by Jeff Cox of SBNCollegehockey.com during his performance in the BU Prep Showcase. Cox scouting report. 

SHEPARD, COLE
#9 White, 2/1/02, Forward, Shoots Left, Delta Hockey Academy

The West Vancouver, British Columbia native is a big time prospect. Shepard was selected in the second round of the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft by the Vancouver Giants. His skating is exceptional. He can fly — straight ahead and he can weave in and out of defenders. His ability to stop and start and stickhandle in tight spaces allow him to maintain possession. He keeps the puck moving and was a step ahead of everyone else. Major junior is a real possibility so it would be a major coup for any college program to land Shepard.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, AJS said:

For whatever it's worth he follows both Berry and UND Hockey Tradition on twitter and they both follow him. He doesn't appear to follow any other college coaches or teams. Does follow both Cawlidge Hawkey Insider and College Hockey Inc.

He was given one of two A+ rankings by Jeff Cox of SBNCollegehockey.com during his performance in the BU Prep Showcase. Cox scouting report. 

SHEPARD, COLE

The West Vancouver, British Columbia native is a big time prospect. Shepard was selected in the second round of the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft by the Vancouver Giants. His skating is exceptional. He can fly — straight ahead and he can weave in and out of defenders. His ability to stop and start and stickhandle in tight spaces allow him to maintain possession. He keeps the puck moving and was a step ahead of everyone else. Major junior is a real possibility so it would be a major coup for any college program to land Shepard.

Can't hurt that he's at our new feeder team

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, AJS said:

SHEPARD, COLE

I feel like these days, this is a big development. That being said, still fairly early in his recruitment.

58 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Looks like we lost out on this one.  There has been a ton of commitments around the country...kind of quite on our front.

I'm just saying there is a good chance he's going the OHL route.

I've been wondering why it's been so quiet.

With seeing all these high end commitment to other schools lately. Does UND have higher end recruits they are looking at or is there about to be a low recruiting class about to come in at a couple years? Is UND putting to much into landing Rizzo?

I don't expect UND to get all the top recruits, well I don't see them pulling a Wisconsin.

11 minutes ago, cberkas said:

With seeing all these high end commitment to other schools lately. Does UND have higher end recruits they are looking at or is there about to be a low recruiting class about to come in at a couple years? Is UND putting to much into landing Rizzo?

I don't expect UND to get all the top recruits, well I don't see them pulling a Wisconsin.

Guess I don't mind holding off on getting too many verbals now, as I would like to have room for the late developers and transfers as well.  Ultimately many of these guys that are committing will end up not developing similar to guys like Mike Fink and Danny Mattson.  Certainly there is pressure to pull the trigger on some of these guys that appear to have a high end now, but realistically how many of them will stay at that level.  Got to be hard watching Wisconsin getting all these verbals, knowing there can't possibly be enough room for them all, but we will see how that all ends up working out for them.  Maybe that will turn into the norm and the NCAA will be forced to do something about early recruiting.  

45 minutes ago, tnt said:

Guess I don't mind holding off on getting too many verbals now, as I would like to have room for the late developers and transfers as well.  Ultimately many of these guys that are committing will end up not developing similar to guys like Mike Fink and Danny Mattson.  Certainly there is pressure to pull the trigger on some of these guys that appear to have a high end now, but realistically how many of them will stay at that level.  Got to be hard watching Wisconsin getting all these verbals, knowing there can't possibly be enough room for them all, but we will see how that all ends up working out for them.  Maybe that will turn into the norm and the NCAA will be forced to do something about early recruiting.  

Danny Mattson decomitted because he didn’t think he’d get playing time when it turned out UND had a bunch of injuries.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

If I recall, there was an early Bucky recruit who decided to come to UND...got drafted in the first round, was an all-american, won a natty...plays in Vancouver now...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Danny Mattson decomitted because he didn’t think he’d get playing time when it turned out UND had a bunch of injuries.

What typically happens is that coaches tell the player that they probably won't see much playing time if they should choose to come.   

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

I think UND is pretty loaded in the pipeline right now.  I am excited to see what the likes of Gavin Hain, Judd Caulfield, and Harrison Blaisdell (among others) bring to the table.  I am sure the brass will be announcing some ’02 or ’03 (birth year) recruits soon.  I wouldn’t mind seeing them bring an ‘overager’ in to replace Gornall next year.  Where is the next Steph Pattyn playing junior hockey?

Looking at our stable of D-men … in just the ’00 birth year we have a top 31 NHL projected player (Tychonick), a top MNHS defenseman (Frisch), and a guy that is putting up good numbers in the AJHL (JB-D).  Also Luke Reid (Penticton) is having a break-out rookie campaign as a 16 year-old as he has been on the top pairing at least a few times.

Our goalie position seems to be secure for the next several years.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

I think UND is pretty loaded in the pipeline right now.  I am excited to see what the likes of Gavin Hain, Judd Caulfield, and Harrison Blaisdell (among others) bring to the table.  I am sure the brass will be announcing some ’02 or ’03 (birth year) recruits soon.  I wouldn’t mind seeing them bring an ‘overager’ in to replace Gornall next year.  Where is the next Steph Pattyn playing junior hockey?

Looking at our stable of D-men … in just the ’00 birth year we have a top 31 NHL projected player (Tychonick), a top MNHS defenseman (Frisch), and a guy that is putting up good numbers in the AJHL (JB-D).  Also Luke Reid (Penticton) is having a break-out rookie campaign as a 16 year-old as he has been on the top pairing at least a few times.

Our goalie position seems to be secure for the next several years.

Agreed, we have some nice prospects in the pipeline in the years to come.  With the possibility of Gersich leaving, we could use another late bloomer to fill his spot as a scorer, even though he hasn't been putting up a lot of points yet this year.  Keane, Senden and Mattson don't appear to be guys that would impact scoring a lot as freshmen, so like you said an overager with a bit of a scoring touch might be needed. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

I believe these latest recruits at Minnesota and Michigan are 2002's. I know because they are local that they tend get overlooked or taken for granted a bit but we already have the top 2002 defensemen(Kleven) and one of the top 2002 forwards(Kunz) committed. These are 2 kids who could have went to any program in the country and once they committed it opened up for the rest of the top end 2002 born kids. I think most programs don't like to fill up their entire class 3 years early as kids develop at different stages.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

I remember being so excited for him.  Fast forward a few yrs and I'm wondering what the heck happened to him as he trolled the blue line for BSU waiting for a break out pass.  He was not going anywhere near a corner or any contact.

I like the question, but would suggest rephrasing it.  I'll hang up and listen to your comments.

On 10/22/2017 at 8:40 PM, burd said:

Has it been discussed here whether the rivalry void and fewer games with UND UMinn (and UMD, DU, CC, SCSU, UW) has led to fewer high end recruits to from Minnesota?

Is that a dumbazz question?  

13 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I like the question, but would suggest rephrasing it.  I'll hang up and listen to your comments.

According to the horse's azz mouth, UMinn has never missed on a recruit they really wanted.   So no. 

• Upvote 2