SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

Brooks Bandits have had some good players that UND could have recruited but they didn't. AJHL looks to be undervalued by UND lately. 

All in all the AJHL is a very thin league top to bottom. Now I am aware that the Brooks Bandits were a very good team last year, due in large part to Makar and Phoo (mostly Makar) however it isn't a great league. NAHL: 16% of Div. 1 freshman; AJHL: 7% of Div 1 freshman.  NAHL has over 2x the amount of NCAA Div 1 commits.  That's comparing the NAHL (tier 2 league) vs the AJHL.  

But to my initial point, shocked Makar wasn't recruited by UND in '16.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If this was true, Denver would be going for a three-peat next year. I wouldn't start pushing the panic button just yet, we are recruiting good kids and they will help us win.

... and if Will Butcher left after his junior season and either LaDue, Stecher, or Thompson stays, we could have possibly been talking about a three peat for us.  It isn't about Denver out recruiting us, it's about keeping the guys we recruited another year, which apparently Denver has done after winning a championship.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, tnt said:

... and if Will Butcher left after his junior season and either LaDue, Stecher, or Thompson stays, we could have possibly been talking about a three peat for us.  It isn't about Denver out recruiting us, it's about keeping the guys we recruited another year, which apparently Denver has done after winning a championship.  

Agreed.

On 5/16/2017 at 8:52 AM, AJS said:

I've been trying to dig for information on him as well, I'm sure UND is in the mix, know Wisconsin is also after him. Probably the #1 '01 uncommitted recruit.

Ryan O'Reilly decommitted from Omaha yesterday, looks to be another really good prospect.

Denver plucked another one.  They have a good thing going right now.

Pretty much not worried at all about recruiting.  When you can only come up with maybe two schools that are outrecruiting you (and that's debatable) -- Denver and BU, you must be doing pretty well.  Plus there are so many guys who were not hotshot 17 year olds who end up playing crucial roles.  Ladue and the Poolmans (hopefully on the second one) come to mind.  Also, UND played those two schools at the end of the year, and didn't appear to give an inch to either, to put it mildly in the case of BU.  I'll take my chances with UND's team this upcoming year, and in future years given the recruiting pipeline.

• Upvote 2

With people holding up BU as the prime example of getting great recruits, it will be interesting to see how they reload this year.  They are getting great talent again, but maybe not to the level of a McAvoy or Keller, or JFK for that matter.  We'll see how it plays out, but I like our chances as much as theirs with their reloading. 

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

With people holding up BU as the prime example of getting great recruits, it will be interesting to see how they reload this year.  They are getting great talent again, but maybe not to the level of a McAvoy or Keller, or JFK for that matter.  We'll see how it plays out, but I like our chances as much as theirs with their reloading. 

I've heard they will be reloading nicely.  Losing those three (plus Bellows as a soph) should sting pretty bad however keeping Greenway as a junior, Fabbro as a soph, bringing in Bowers, and having the rest of their young team age another year should help.  Also, their goalie is a stud.

Hank Crone, David Farrance, Logan Cockerill, Brady Tkachuk, Ty Amonte, Kasper Kotkansalo, Shane Bowers, and Cam Crotty are comming in next year (found it off some website).  That's really good.

8 hours ago, tnt said:

Correct, not only keeping the likes of Butcher an extra year, but finding the "tweener" players that need that extra year. I think it's generally accepted that if a player is ready and will play in the NHL the following year, it's time to go. Of the 8 players that have left UND the following two season, 6 will have played (counting Poolman) in the NHL. Let's compare Borgstrom / Terry to Jost / Boeser. Denver will get an extra year, where UND does not, but I believe both Jost / Boeser are better prepared to play in the NHL (& they will) this upcoming year. Comparable players in college, but UND's duo is more prepared to step into the NHL. 

BU & Wisconsin are currently making waves recruiting tons of top end talent, which is exciting when you are comparing recruits, but having that much turnover year after year (thinking in future for Wisconsin based on new coaches philosophy), won't get the job done in the tournament when you have so much turnover year and year. You need the top end guys (which UND has), but also a nice balance of 3 & 4 year guys with experience. UND making the playoffs for the past 15 years is enough evidence that they are doing things the right way, the philosophy the coaching staff has works. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

All in all the AJHL is a very thin league top to bottom. Now I am aware that the Brooks Bandits were a very good team last year, due in large part to Makar and Phoo (mostly Makar) however it isn't a great league. NAHL: 16% of Div. 1 freshman; AJHL: 7% of Div 1 freshman.  NAHL has over 2x the amount of NCAA Div 1 commits.  That's comparing the NAHL (tier 2 league) vs the AJHL.  

But to my initial point, shocked Makar wasn't recruited by UND in '16.

Brooks Bandits have 3 division titles, 4 league championships, 1 Western Cup Championship, 1 RBC Cup, and 1 RBC Cup runner-up (made the RBC twice). Not bad for a team that started in 2000.

Well the BCHL and AJHL are tier 2 leagues along with the NAHL, but the NAHL gets so many college commitments because they are in the US and in 4 time zones. The NAHL has 23 teams where the AJHL has 16 teams, so yeah the NAHL should have more college commitments.

15 hours ago, cberkas said:

Brooks Bandits have 3 division titles, 4 league championships, 1 Western Cup Championship, 1 RBC Cup, and 1 RBC Cup runner-up (made the RBC twice). Not bad for a team that started in 2000.

Well the BCHL and AJHL are tier 2 leagues along with the NAHL, but the NAHL gets so many college commitments because they are in the US and in 4 time zones. The NAHL has 23 teams where the AJHL has 16 teams, so yeah the NAHL should have more college commitments.

Again wasn't criticizing the team, I'm just saying the league is extremely thin on talent.  The NA is making leaps and bounds every year. I wouldn't recruit in either the AJ or NA (other than goalies) unless there were some special kid there.  The BC has proven to be the deepest junior A league in Canada.  Also the bc and aj are tier 2 because the CHL is tier 1 there.

i like that we stick mostly with pushing our recruits up through the USHL model, which is bar none the greatest junior A league in NA.  I like what the BC has been doing recently as well.  Top to bottom the USHL is the best league but obviously you can find decent kids in the BC as well.

33 minutes ago, ajries18 said:

Since we already have our first 2002-born commit (Ethan Bowen), any insider info regarding if/when we will offer Jackson Kunz?

Saw he took an unofficial visit to the UofM today. Clearly one of the Top Bantam players in the upper midwest, was a finalist for Youth Hockey Hub's bantam POY. Quick social media search, it appears 1/2 the people he follows on twitter are either UND players / UND affiliated handles, so it's a safe assumption he's a UND fan. You'd think the coaches would want to see him play HS hockey, but with the way recruiting is these days, they might offer before that. 

Edit

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Saw he took an unofficial visit to the UofM today. Clearly one of the Top Bantam players in the upper midwest, was a finalist for Youth Hockey Hub's bantam POY. Quick social media search, it appears 1/2 the people he follows on twitter are either UND players / UND affiliated handles, so it's a safe assumption he's a UND fan. You'd think the coaches would want to see him play HS hockey, but with the way recruiting is these days, they might offer before that. 

Edit

He'll be the top player in North Dakota HS hockey next year and it won't be that close.