SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Looks like Jake Braccini is on the UND coaches radar. He won the Bantam POTY award and noticed the UND coaches Twitter (@NodakTradition) retweeted the link. He also follows the UND coaches. Would be nice to make it 3 Bantam POTY in a row.

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/789396?referrer_id=967184

His brother is pretty good too.

35 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Anyone know what the word is on Massimo Rizzo? Is UND in the mix? And if so, when is this kid likely to commit? Next year sometime?

I've been trying to dig for information on him as well, I'm sure UND is in the mix, know Wisconsin is also after him. Probably the #1 '01 uncommitted recruit.

Ryan O'Reilly decommitted from Omaha yesterday, looks to be another really good prospect.

7 hours ago, AJS said:

I've been trying to dig for information on him as well, I'm sure UND is in the mix, know Wisconsin is also after him. Probably the #1 '01 uncommitted recruit.

Ryan O'Reilly decommitted from Omaha yesterday, looks to be another really good prospect.

O'Reilly's brother played in the WHL so he could go there.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, brianvf said:

He joined the other 73 committed UW players for the next couple seasons.
Granato is following the Eaves mantra: "just sign them all!"

It's wild looking at their recruiting list. It's not like the majority of their current list is made up of guys that committed years ago either. 22 or their 28 2018 and beyond recruits verbally committed within the last year. That would leave only 6 left from the old coaching staff. Using Heisenbergs site, I looked at the incoming year (if it was either / or, I used the higher expected year to join).

Recruits by class:

'18 - 7

'19 - 14

'20 - 4

'21 - 3

I mean 14 guys in the '19 class, 13 signed within the last year, just amazing.

5 hours ago, AJS said:

It's wild looking at their recruiting list. It's not like the majority of their current list is made up of guys that committed years ago either. 22 or their 28 2018 and beyond recruits verbally committed within the last year. That would leave only 6 left from the old coaching staff. Using Heisenbergs site, I looked at the incoming year (if it was either / or, I used the higher expected year to join).

Recruits by class:

'18 - 7

'19 - 14

'20 - 4

'21 - 3

I mean 14 guys in the '19 class, 13 signed within the last year, just amazing.

They must be anticipating losing half their roster that year.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, cberkas said:

I like the sound of this guy....   21. Anthony MastromonicaF, 5/23/00, Shoots Left, 6-2/190 - He's a big bodied winger who can get up and down the sheet. He has a hard shot and can get in on pucks. His skating has gotten better. He's an affiliate player of the Omaha Lancers.

For the name over the PA at the very least :D

I just read that the other schools recruiting Cale Makar were Vermont, Denver, Bemidji St., and Quinnipiac.  If he were to have went to Denver they would have had next year's season pretty much wrapped up.  I wonder why UND never recruited this kid?  Canadian, right handed, 1-2 dman prospected on the planet.  

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I just read that the other schools recruiting Cale Makar were Vermont, Denver, Bemidji St., and Quinnipiac.  If he were to have went to Denver they would have had next year's season pretty much wrapped up.  I wonder why UND never recruited this kid?  Canadian, right handed, 1-2 dman prospected on the planet.  

Brooks Bandits have had some good players that UND could have recruited but they didn't. AJHL looks to be undervalued by UND lately. 

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Brooks Bandits have had some good players that UND could have recruited but they didn't. AJHL looks to be undervalued by UND lately. 

What's going on in UND recruiting? - not necessarily criticizing, but wondering if there has been a change of focus or philosophy.  It seems that many other lesser programs are hauling in some great talent.  Are we satisfied that our Vees connection provides us most of what we need?  Maybe everything is the same, but I have a hard time seeing "behind the curtain".  I admit, I am a huge homer and want us to re-assert our dominance of the 80's and 90's. I really don't want to be second fiddle like to BC or now, perhaps Denver.  Any comments with recruiting insight would be appreciated.  Also, its the doldrums and I could really use some hockey talk.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

What's going on in UND recruiting? - not necessarily criticizing, but wondering if there has been a change of focus or philosophy.  It seems that many other lesser programs are hauling in some great talent.  Are we satisfied that our Vees connection provides us most of what we need?  Maybe everything is the same, but I have a hard time seeing "behind the curtain".  I admit, I am a huge homer and want us to re-assert our dominance of the 80's and 90's. I really don't want to be second fiddle like to BC or now, perhaps Denver.  Any comments with recruiting insight would be appreciated.  Also, its the doldrums and I could really use some hockey talk.   

In general, over the past decade everyone is recruiting younger and younger. It's just how things are these days, UND (like rest of the top programs) are getting verbals from the best 15 / 16 year old prospects. Problem being when you recruit so young, it turns into kind of a crapshoot, those players don't necessarily keep up with their projected trajectory. I find it hard to really get excited for a recruit that is years away from enrolling at UND. That being said, you can look at the flip side and enjoy watching the players mature as they enter different leagues. I don't think anything has changed with their philosophy and this years class should be Top 5 in the country. 

2 hours ago, Irish said:

If you look at it we really weren't that good for a lot of the 90s.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

If you look at it we really weren't that good for a lot of the 90s.

True - it seems to me that it is really hard to get an understanding of our recruiting - (I know it's not meant for me to understand, but I am bored with the off-season) - I often have no idea who we are looking at or who we are offering.  Is Denver out doing us?  Maybe because things happen at such a young age I will never know, but I was hoping for someone in the know to chip in some knowledge, insight, even gossip.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Irish said:

Dominance can come in many forms.  They seemed to win championships when they got there in the 80's and 90's, but they missed the tournament a bit too.  Because of the parity in college hockey now, winning it when you get there as often as we did then, probably isn't going to happen.  The ironic thing is that we didn't get to the NCAA tournament as often back then as we do now, but some of that has to do with the increase from 12 to 16 teams. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Ice_Hockey_Tournament_appearances_by_team

13 hours ago, Irish said:

I agree with you. I don't want to be a stepping stone for other programs on their way to the top. But some people on here will respond with #butparity.

I wouldn't be too concerned about our recruiting. I like the kids we have coming in the next couple of years. We'll be fine.

10 hours ago, Irish said:

True - it seems to me that it is really hard to get an understanding of our recruiting - (I know it's not meant for me to understand, but I am bored with the off-season) - I often have no idea who we are looking at or who we are offering.  Is Denver out doing us?  Maybe because things happen at such a young age I will never know, but I was hoping for someone in the know to chip in some knowledge, insight, even gossip.

If this was true, Denver would be going for a three-peat next year. I wouldn't start pushing the panic button just yet, we are recruiting good kids and they will help us win.