SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

Any reason Grant Johnson isn't committed or better yet not to UND?

Would guess he is holding out to play for UND and UND would like to see him play at the Junior level like his brother did before they commit.  I would guess he has had some offers, but that is strictly speculation.   

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Would guess he is holding out to play for UND and UND would like to see him play at the Junior level like his brother did before they commit.  I would guess he has had some offers, but that is strictly speculation.   

If you're talking Casey they aren't brothers.

54 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If you're talking Casey they aren't brothers.

I stand corrected.  I was under the impression they were both sons of Dennis.  I wonder if Grant has any ties to UND then, other than living in Grand Forks.

25 minutes ago, cberkas said:

NTDP U17 uncommitted:

Michael Gildon

Jake Hughes - Michigan fans are already claiming him, OHL most likely

John Beecher

Cameron Rowe

Danny Weight

Does anyone know if Cameron Rowe is related to one-time commit Jack Rowe? Both from IL....would be curious if UND would have a knock against them if they were related.

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

Yeah our incoming recruiting class is pretty weak. Not a single top 10 pick at all!! ;):) 

Ha.  In all reality, teams like BU and BC (plus some other East coast teams) seem to be getting more high enders than we do.  We counter that with over agers who do well in juniors.  

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Ha.  In all reality, teams like BU and BC (plus some other East coast teams) seem to be getting more high enders than we do.  We counter that with over agers who do well in juniors.  

Let's set BU aside because Quinn is doing something ridiculous over there with getting so many top picks.

However, if we look at the "high enders" vs all other teams, UND's numbers look pretty decent.  Look at the numbers compared to UND's 2 1st rounders last year and average draft position of (10) players at 3.8. I'm only including schools with one first rounder and 6 or more draft picks because I'm arbitrary like that today.

School - 1st rd, total, average

UND - 2, 10, 3.8

BC - 1, 8, 3.875

BU - 4, 11, 2.27

Denver - 1, 6, 3.8

Wisconsin - 2, 7, 4.4

The only other schools with a 1st rounder are SCSU, UMD and Connecticut.

38 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Let's set BU aside because Quinn is doing something ridiculous over there with getting so many top picks.

However, if we look at the "high enders" vs all other teams, UND's numbers look pretty decent.  Look at the numbers compared to UND's 2 1st rounders last year and average draft position of (10) players at 3.8. I'm only including schools with one first rounder and 6 or more draft picks because I'm arbitrary like that today.

School - 1st rd, total, average

UND - 2, 10, 3.8

BC - 1, 8, 3.875

BU - 4, 11, 2.27

Denver - 1, 6, 3.8

Wisconsin - 2, 7, 4.4

The only other schools with a 1st rounder are SCSU, UMD and Connecticut.

I follow the US development teams and they seem to be more filled with MICH, BU and BC teams over the past 4-5 years.  Not that it's a problem, it's just something I've noticed.  In the early to mid 2000's we (and MN) were the teams those kids were going to.  It could be the regions these kids are developing in as well.

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I follow the US development teams and they seem to be more filled with MICH, BU and BC teams over the past 4-5 years.  Not that it's a problem, it's just something I've noticed.  In the early to mid 2000's we (and MN) were the teams those kids were going to.  It could be the regions these kids are developing in as well.

We had a run of guys that chose not to come here after committing from the development teams, so maybe that is a change of philosophy unless you are certain what you are getting.  We also used to get a lot of players from Shattuck, but that has changed as well.  Would be nice to see a list of players we had from the USA development program, as I think there were as many no shows as ones that played here. 

49 minutes ago, tnt said:

We had a run of guys that chose not to come here after committing from the development teams, so maybe that is a change of philosophy unless you are certain what you are getting.  We also used to get a lot of players from Shattuck, but that has changed as well.  Would be nice to see a list of players we had from the USA development program, as I think there were as many no shows as ones that played here. 

This is off the top of my head so I'm sure missing some (probably a bunch):
Quinn Fylling (was the first I believe), Matt Greene, Kristo, Grimaldi, Forbort, Gersich, Ausmus, Thompson, Mattson, Cichy, Jones.

De-commits, Miller, Matteau, Koules, theres more I can't think of I'm sure.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, I Ranger said:

This is off the top of my head so I'm sure missing some (probably a bunch):
Quinn Fylling (was the first I believe), Matt Greene, Kristo, Grimaldi, Forbort, Gersich, Ausmus, Thompson, Mattson, Cichy, Jones.

De-commits, Miller, Matteau, Koules, theres more I can't think of I'm sure.

But how many of these came directly from the NTDP?

Greene, Kristo, Gersich, Mattson, Cichy had at least a year in the USHL

Forbort, Grimaldi, Ausmus, Thompson, Jones came directly from the NTDP. At least 2 of these, while playing well and helping UND win games never gave off the "all about the UND team and culture" vibe.

21 minutes ago, petey23 said:

But how many of these came directly from the NTDP?

Greene, Kristo, Gersich, Mattson, Cichy had at least a year in the USHL

Forbort, Grimaldi, Ausmus, Thompson, Jones came directly from the NTDP. At least 2 of these, while playing well and helping UND win games never gave off the "all about the UND team and culture" vibe.

I"m not sure what you mean by the "vibe," but it sounds a little silly to me.  But I'm a long way from the atmosphere there. 

Does anyone "really" know how big Grant Johnson is? He seemed to put up ridiculous numbers in ND high school hockey while also putting up good numbers in the fall Elite league.  I'm shocked he wasn't a higher USHL draft pick.  I wonder if his listed size is a stretch.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits