SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Why? Didn't he say about Portland, "Their facilities are great, the coaching staff is unbelievable"? Or am I reading Forever's quote wrong?

You're not missing anything other than the obvious implication that there was something else involved. It's total conjecture tho....

You're not missing anything other than the obvious implication that there was something else involved. It's total conjecture tho....

All of the top end talent have "advisors", who are really NHL agents. I believe that Jones' advisor is Crosby's agent. Those persons advise the top end players on the different opportunities before them. Jones is probably the 1st or 2nd pick in the next draft. He is on a different level. Those type of kids are steered, without exception, to Major Junior, and while there is some financial incentive to playing Major Junior, implying that money was exchanged under the table is in poor taste.

All of the top end talent have "advisors", who are really NHL agents. I believe that Jones' advisor is Crosby's agent. Those persons advise the top end players on the different opportunities before them. Jones is probably the 1st or 2nd pick in the next draft. He is on a different level. Those type of kids are steered, without exception, to Major Junior, and while there is some financial incentive to playing Major Junior, implying that money was exchanged under the table is in poor taste.

James van Riemsdyk #2, Kyle Turris #3, Erik Johnson #1, Jonathan Toews #3, Jack Johnson #3, Rick DiPietro #1, Dany Heatley #3

Top 3 picks in the NHL draft that played college hockey from the past 15 years. It doesn't include foreign players from places like Sweden. It also doesn't include other top end talent drafted lower than top 3. There are exceptions to the Major Junior rule. Many people on this forum understand that the vast majority of top end talent will end up in Major Juniors. The recent fines to Windsor also prove that some players do get money under the table to play Major Juniors. There is a pretty good chance that other teams also give extras to players.

Several decisions by players to go Major Junior after committing to college hockey have been rather suspicious, so it is natural that some people will question the decisions of all players that consider both. Seth Jones seemed to give both an honest look and strongly considered both. But after having several 1st round type players change their minds at the last minute to go Major Junior, college hockey fans will wonder about everyone.

• Upvote 1

This was from SiouxForever's post:

...I think UND has better everything all around, obviously The Ralph. I think coaching staff now with Berry helping the D out, is better than Portland's too. What won this kids selection is the brainwashing and the NHL grind schedule comparison with the WHL's schedule. We'll see how he develops throughout the WHL. I feel, no question he'll have a huge impact at the World Juniors this year. We shall see...

I thought he was quoting Jones in the post. So my logic was that if UND had everything better all around, then why go to Portland? I didn't realize that it was SiouxForever's comment and not Seth's.

You just named 7 players....7. Argument over.

Did you read the post I quoted? Obviously you didn't. It said "Those type of kids are steered, without exception, to Major Junior,". That is a patently false statement, as I pointed out in my post. I listed 7 exceptions, plus there were a few European players that I didn't list. So the post that said they play Major Junior without exception can't possibly be true. That's what happens when you make absolute statements, they can be very hard to support because there are usually exceptions of some kind. In my post I also said that the vast majority do play Major Juniors. That is a fact. No one is disputing it. But there are players that don't go through Major Juniors and still are top end talent. They are rare, but they do happen. If you could see through your Major Junior obsession you would see that.

Did you read the post I quoted? Obviously you didn't. It said "Those type of kids are steered, without exception, to Major Junior,". That is a patently false statement, as I pointed out in my post. I listed 7 exceptions, plus there were a few European players that I didn't list. So the post that said they play Major Junior without exception can't possibly be true. That's what happens when you make absolute statements, they can be very hard to support because there are usually exceptions of some kind. In my post I also said that the vast majority do play Major Juniors. That is a fact. No one is disputing it. But there are players that don't go through Major Juniors and still are top end talent. They are rare, but they do happen. If you could see through your Major Junior obsession you would see that.

Sorry, you're right....I didn't read the entire post. My bad. I have simply been reading the same biased posts for 3 months now so I assumed you would be bashing major junior and saying how college hockey is the best way to go. I read your post....makes sense.

Actually, now that I read your post, I still slightly disagree, because more and more kids ARE steered the major junior route. Hopefully with these fines coming down there will be a more level playing field. Also, more and more Europeans ARE coming to the CHL. For time's sake, google the last 3-4 drafts and check out where the kids came from and/or where they are going to play. From a kid I skate with that played for the NTDP a couple years back, their "advisors (or agents I call them)" really push hard for the real good kids to go play in the CHL. But you are correct in that a small amount of top end kids do come to the NCAA, hopefully that number continues to grow again. I miss the middle 2,000's where a decent number of top end kids started coming to college...then as fast as it started, it stopped. On the filp side, I'm starting to notice that more and more late bloomers are coming out of college and really making an impact in the pros. I like that as well.

Saw Jackson and Berry with a potential recruit today. Not sure who the kid was and it appeared he was with his mother but the coaches were showing him around campus.

Was it this kid? Sounds like he's been making visits to schools lately.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20120822/SPORTS03/308220012/Team-USA-hockey-berth-has-Cathedral-s-Poganski-demand

Funny story....I was sitting in the Wilkerson dining center with some friends when we see this puny little hockey player with a Salmon Arm fleece on sit down with what I would assume would be his dad and have a meal. Later that day we see him getting a tour of campus with I believe Cary Eades if I remember right.

The whole conversation with my friends was "who the heck is this little guy?" No way is he going to make it at UND, way too small to be any good. Heck, when I walked past him when he was touring campus I had half a fricken foot on the kid, and I'm not the tallest guy in the world.

We look the kid up.....Ryan Duncan.....no way he'll have that big of an impact though..... :lol:

• Upvote 1

His scoring total at Edina is pretty paltry. Only 1 goal and 16 points for a HS forward? 5 of those points being against a terrible Bloomington Kennedy team. I know we need grinders too but those types get recruited as 20 year olds. Not 17 year olds.

Agreed, those stats are terrible.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits