SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

National Select 17's have been going on this week, you can follow it here,

http://www.usahockey...DivisionID=2100

I would really like to know where Conner Hurley (Columbia team if you click the link) is going. I watched him in last year's MN state tourney and besides Besse champsionship game, Hurley was the best kid in the Tourney and by "kid", he was only a sophomore last year. Seemed pretty tall and lanky but was so good. He lead Edina's high school team in pts last season. If anyone has heard where he is going or who he is looking at please post. I have to think UND is at least taking a look at him.

I would really like to know where Conner Hurley (Columbia team if you click the link) is going. I watched him in last year's MN state tourney and besides Besse champsionship game, Hurley was the best kid in the Tourney and by "kid", he was only a sophomore last year. Seemed pretty tall and lanky but was so good. He lead Edina's high school team in pts last season. If anyone has heard where he is going or who he is looking at please post. I have to think UND is at least taking a look at him.

I will bet good money on the Gophers.

He was good at Holy Angels before and really took another big step up last year after transfering to Edina. I was very impressed with his play in the state tournament and would agree that he was one of the top and most exciting players in the tournament. He definitely has a lot of potential and a bright future. I am sure UND is interested in him and I would guess the usual suspects like Minnesota and Wisconsin will be going after him as well and he will have his choice of where he wants to play at the next level, but I haven't seen or heard anything about which way he might be leaning at all.

He was good at Holy Angels before and really took another big step up last year after transfering to Edina. I was very impressed with his play in the state tournament and would agree that he was one of the top and most exciting players in the tournament. He definitely has a lot of potential and a bright future. I am sure UND is interested in him and I would guess the usual suspects like Minnesota and Wisconsin will be going after him as well and he will have his choice of where he wants to play at the next level, but I haven't seen or heard anything about which way he might be leaning at all.

OK thanks, yeah he was pretty fun to watch. He cracked the pipe with 2 minutes left against Benilde which would have had them in the Chip. Oh well, I really hope he doesn't play for the Gophs.

Matt Frattin is an excellent skater...If he skates better than Frattin, that is some kinda compliment

Frattin is a very smooth, powerful skater, but he doesn't have the top end speed/acceleration or agility for me to classify him as an "excellent" skater. I would say he is about an average skater in the NHL, maybe slightly above.

Frattin is a very smooth, powerful skater, but he doesn't have the top end speed/acceleration or agility for me to classify him as an "excellent" skater. I would say he is about an average skater in the NHL, maybe slightly above.

agree with the adjectives that you've used to describe his skating, but being a better than average skater in the NHL to me is an "excellent" skater.

Gaborik still probably has the best acceleration in the league right now...

I think they broke the mold when they built Paul Coffee...

I don't recognize any names from our recruiting...should I?

If you're looking for committed recruits, no.

If you are referring to kids we may be recruiting currently, then there might be a few names of kids we might be watching, but nobody ever really knows who we are recruiting for the most part. A few names slip out once in a while, but otherwise no one really knows.

Looks like he has recruiting visitis lined up for Michigan, Miami and Notre Dame and Minnesota is after him pretty hard as well. I would guess he ends up at Minnesota but it looks like a nice recruiting battle heating up just not sure if we are in on it or not.

Looks like he has recruiting visitis lined up for Michigan, Miami and Notre Dame and Minnesota is after him pretty hard as well. I would guess he ends up at Minnesota but it looks like a nice recruiting battle heating up just not sure if we are in on it or not.

I would guess we are after him just based on what I have seen from him and his high skill level and the way he plays, but I have no inside information at all to base this on and really just hope that we are after him and can get him.

agree with the adjectives that you've used to describe his skating, but being a better than average skater in the NHL to me is an "excellent" skater.

Gaborik still probably has the best acceleration in the league right now...

I think they broke the mold when they built Paul Coffee...

I'm guessing he's comparing NHL skating to NHL skating.

• 4 weeks later...

Seth Jones article - I know he's not coming to UND, but still worth the read:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=639452

"I went to North Dakota, visited there. That was my No. 1 college choice," Jones said. "I loved that place, great facility, great everything there. It was tough to turn down. Then I went to Portland the next weekend. Their facilities are great, the coaching staff is unbelievable."

...I think UND has better everything all around, obviously The Ralph. I think coaching staff now with Berry helping the D out, is better than Portland's too. What won this kids selection is the brainwashing and the NHL grind schedule comparison with the WHL's schedule. We'll see how he develops throughout the WHL. I feel, no question he'll have a huge impact at the World Juniors this year. We shall see...

Seth Jones article - I know he's not coming to UND, but still worth the read:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=639452

"I went to North Dakota, visited there. That was my No. 1 college choice," Jones said. "I loved that place, great facility, great everything there. It was tough to turn down. Then I went to Portland the next weekend. Their facilities are great, the coaching staff is unbelievable."

...I think UND has better everything all around, obviously The Ralph. I think coaching staff now with Berry helping the D out, is better than Portland's too. What won this kids selection is the brainwashing and the NHL grind schedule comparison with the WHL's schedule. We'll see how he develops throughout the WHL. I feel, no question he'll have a huge impact at the World Juniors this year. We shall see...

Based on those comments it makes you wonder if money was been shoved under the table.

Why? Didn't he say about Portland, "Their facilities are great, the coaching staff is unbelievable"? Or am I reading Forever's quote wrong?

It did say that in the article, but I think USA hockey was implying that money must have been given somewhere because the facilities are obviously better at UND, and I'm not sure who they have coaching at Portland, but it is pretty hard to beat having your position be coached by an ex-NHL defenseman coach.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits