SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

THN's Ryan Kennedy tweeted this today:

About an hour later a person named Neate Sager who is a junior hockey blogger for Yahoo! Canada Sports tweeted that Jordan Schmaltz is fully committed to coming to UND:

Maybe it's just me but I find that Ryan Kennedy tweet to be bothering. Sure, Patrick Sieloff could've just been joking but I just find it uncool that this Kennedy guy would ask the player who just broke his college committment that question. It would not surprise me if this Sieloff kid did try to recruit Jordan. CHL teams have shown time and time again they will play dirty and do anything to get a kid to renege on their college committment to play in their league. :glare:

I agree.

mike peterson@mikepeterson23

@THNRyanKennedy It's bad enough for kids to lack integrity....probably doesn't need to be encouraged by adults. #onlyasgoodasyourword

I have a pretty good feeling that no matter how hard Mr. Sieloff tries to recruit Jordan he will have no luck.

On the flipside though didn't JT Miller after the draft say that he was fully committed to going to UND. We all know how well that worked out.

From what I heard, JT was never planning on coming. He said he was fully committed... unless the team that drafts him wants him to do something else.

From what I heard, JT was never planning on coming. He said he was fully committed... unless the team that drafts him wants him to do something else.

Be that as it may I am not sure JT playing last year would have made the season any different. Looking back it would have been nice to have another healthy skater in the lineup. Assuming he wouldn't also have been injured. I just look at the guys who probably got a chance because of JT not coming. Pattyn, Seinkbeil, Gaarder.

"One last thing and then I promise that I will go back on topic here. The school might actually suffer because the same people who wouldn't play us in sports would most likely not compete against us in academic competitions. When you compete in those, the departments raise awareness for themselves. Also, some people don't want to get themselves embroiled in a controversy, so faculty members and/or staff members could potentially stay away from UND because of that"

Pleeeeease, you are sooooo reaching here its embarrassing to read this post!

No, I'm not a "keep the name at all costs" person either!

Now back on topic,

I am so fired up for this season that I can't wait for it to start! Paid my season ticket renewal and now I'm ready to see number "8"

Go fighting Sioux!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Be that as it may I am not sure JT playing last year would have made the season any different. Looking back it would have been nice to have another healthy skater in the lineup. Assuming he wouldn't also have been injured. I just look at the guys who probably got a chance because of JT not coming. Pattyn, Seinkbeil, Gaarder.

Are you really intimating that you'd rather have Pattyn, Seinkbeil, and Gaarder on the ice than JT Miller????

Sorry, but as lovely as it sounds, the talent gap there can't be overcome with hard work.

• Upvote 1

Are you really intimating that you'd rather have Pattyn, Seinkbeil, and Gaarder on the ice than JT Miller? ???

Sorry, but as lovely as it sounds, the talent gap there can't be overcome with hard work.

Haha I actually laughed when I read his post. FYI, yes we would have rather had JT's talent...for sure no questions asked. But I heard the guy is an absolute prima dona. However yes, when it comes to wins and losses we would have rather had JT in a second. I'm guessing the most he would have stayed was one year though.

Imagine the team that almost was last year:

Knight with Gregoire and Kristo

Grimaldi with Nelson and Miller

Rowney with Hextall and Parks

Lammy with O'donnell and MacMillan

Would've been sick, and I bet if Brett and Jason could do it over, they'd have stayed

• Upvote 1

I don't think Derek would crack that line up regularly...he would be the next guy out there though IMO

The better question is who would Rodwell replace? The only one I would say he is "better" than is Lamoureux, but he was a senior captain.

Someone mentioned in the comments section on Brad's blog that Logan Nelson (Rogers, MN) wanted to play at UND but things didn't work out. He currently plays in the WHL.

From a Star Tribune feature story on Nelson and his agent:

"It was always going to be college," Nelson said. "I wanted to play at North Dakota, but nothing happened there. I got a little sick of waiting. Maybe I jumped to a conclusion too early, but this has worked out for me so far."

The better question is who would Rodwell replace? The only one I would say he is "better" than is Lamoureux, but he was a senior captain.

Rodwell is one of the best defensive forwards on the team.

I absolutely agree with that, I just don't know who comes out of that lineup in order for him to be inserted.

I guess we will see what Hakstol does, but I would predict that he will be a regular cog in the line up.

Defenseman Ian McCoshen has narrowed his college choices from 4 to 3... Wisco is no longer in the mix. He's still considering UND, UMD, and UNO.

Via Shane Fukushima (Associate Head Coach of Waterloo Blackhawks)

Does he not want to play in the Big Ten? One has to wonder why he would exclude only Wisconsin, which to be honest, has done a great job developing defensemen that have done quite well at the next level.

Does he not want to play in the Big Ten? One has to wonder why he would exclude only Wisconsin, which to be honest, has done a great job developing defensemen that have done quite well at the next level.

Two words: Mark. Osiecki. The Badger program is seeing a big loss with Osiecki's departure to Ohio State. Heck, that's how we are getting Jordan Schmaltz. Mark was a guru with bringing in and developing big-time defensemen.

Part of it is about room on Wisconsin's blueline/roster. Based on the chart that Chuck Schwartz posted at USCHO.com's forum they will be pretty be maxed out on the blueline in 2013 when McCoshen is expected to play college.

Part of it is about room on Wisconsin's blueline/roster. Based on the chart that Chuck Schwartz posted at USCHO.com's forum they will be pretty be maxed out on the blueline in 2013 when McCoshen is expected to play college.

McCoshen is the type of player you make room for, and just by glancing at Wisconsin's committed recruits page, he would easily be their biggest d-man recruit. McCoshen is from Wisconsin, and Wisconsin has been recruiting him heavily from the start but for whatever reason he doesn't want to go to school there. No offense to UMD or UNO, but we have to be the favorite in this recruiting battle, especially now since we have arguably the best college d-man coach out there.

Any one know anything about Alex Kerfoot? He's a top rated forward out of the BCHL that is currently uncommitted. The only thing I've heard is that BC is holding a scholarship for him.

Saw he got drafted last weekend.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits