SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

My source is telling me that we are likely losing Luke Voltin to the WHL.

I would really like you to explain further....I have been following him here in the Cities and from what a buddy tells me he is a lock to go to the Sioux....at least as of a week ago.

I would really like you to explain further....I have been following him here in the Cities and from what a buddy tells me he is a lock to go to the Sioux....at least as of a week ago.

I hear the same thing. I have some mutual friends with his older sister.

Voltin played for the NTDP and of course we all now know that everyone who ever breathed a breath there will go to the CHL henceforth and forever more.

I'll believe Voltin when Voltin says what he's doing.

So far it's UND.

Voltin played for the NTDP and of course we all now know that everyone who ever breathed a breath there will go to the CHL henceforth and forever more.

I'll believe Voltin when Voltin says what he's doing.

So far it's UND.

From what I read the kid sounds like a trouble-maker....Hak won't put up with that.

From what I read the kid sounds like a trouble-maker....Hak won't put up with that.

What have you read that makes him sound like a troublemaker? I'm pretty sure the reason why he got kicked out of the NTDP has never been released, but I know multiple people on this board know what happened.

Of all the snarky, smart-assed comments on this board, those two are what puts you in enough of a tizzy to comment? Really?

Why? Because it was just a short time ago you were saying the same thing as DaveK and Fetch are. Besides at least they are honest enough to admit that after hockey they really could care less about the rest of the sports. Furthermore, they also admit that the school as a whole means nothing to them. Before you get into a huff everyone here, besides DaveK and Fetch, cares more about the university than the sports department. So simply their desire to keep the name all along was different than all of the other posters here. The rest cared, and still care, about the logo but not enough to throw away everything else to keep the name. In everyone heres hearts they will always be Fighting Sioux. But they will wear their alumni status forever no matter what the logo is. Which is highly commendable and says alot about the UND Family.

What? You complained about my comment to someone calling a recruit "new", when we've known for months he was transferring from Alabama Huntsville. This is a recruiting topic afterall. Plus, after how you post when you see a Chewy post, you're moving on to proclaiming yourself as message board classroom monitor? Ok then.

Re: Voltin... Would have to think there is dialog back and forth between his family and the Sioux coaching staff. Hakstol and his assistants have been caught off guard, or burned enough over the past couple years that one would think they are not going to let that happen again.

What have you read that makes him sound like a troublemaker? I'm pretty sure the reason why he got kicked out of the NTDP has never been released, but I know multiple people on this board know what happened.

Well, you made my point in your response. If any 16 year old gets kicked off a team...I'm guessing he caused a little trouble. At least that's what I'll believe until I hear otherwise. You don't simply get kicked off a prestigous team for no reason now.

Why? Because it was just a short time ago you were saying the same thing as DaveK and Fetch are. Besides at least they are honest enough to admit that after hockey they really could care less about the rest of the sports. Furthermore, they also admit that the school as a whole means nothing to them. Before you get into a huff everyone here, besides DaveK and Fetch, cares more about the university than the sports department. So simply their desire to keep the name all along was different than all of the other posters here. The rest cared, and still care, about the logo but not enough to throw away everything else to keep the name. In everyone heres hearts they will always be Fighting Sioux. But they will wear their alumni status forever no matter what the logo is. Which is highly commendable and says alot about the UND Family.

Well if you vote to get rid of the name....you are simply doing so to help the sports department.....not the university. The nickname and logo simply hurt the sports department...not the university. Believe me, the university will still be a great school no matter the the logo or nickname is and no matter which sports we have (although hockey would be tough to lose as it brings in so much revenue to the school, but that is beside my point).

What? You complained about my comment to someone calling a recruit "new", when we've known for months he was transferring from Alabama Huntsville. This is a recruiting topic afterall. Plus, after how you post when you see a Chewy post, you're moving on to proclaiming yourself as message board classroom monitor? Ok then.

Re: Voltin... Would have to think there is dialog back and forth between his family and the Sioux coaching staff. Hakstol and his assistants have been caught off guard, or burned enough over the past couple years that one would think they are not going to let that happen again.

Luke says the rumors are not true about the WHL.

Well, you made my point in your response. If any 16 year old gets kicked off a team...I'm guessing he caused a little trouble. At least that's what I'll believe until I hear otherwise. You don't simply get kicked off a prestigous team for no reason now.

While I agree with you, I'm also not going to brand him as Satan for making a few mistakes in his young life. Been there...done that.

Well if you vote to get rid of the name....you are simply doing so to help the sports department.....not the university. The nickname and logo simply hurt the sports department...not the university. Believe me, the university will still be a great school no matter the the logo or nickname is and no matter which sports we have (although hockey would be tough to lose as it brings in so much revenue to the school, but that is beside my point).

Actually, research has shown that successful athletic programs are a recruiting tool for the rest of the school. Examples are schools like Gonzaga and Butler having success in the NCAA basketball tournament and having increased applications. It can also help recruit faculty if they are interested in athletics. And successful athletics help increase donations to the entire school, not just the athletic program. So if the athletic department is less successful, the entire school will probably suffer.
  • Upvote 1

While I agree with you, I'm also not going to brand him as Satan for making a few mistakes in his young life. Been there...done that.

Agreed. I was just wondering what he did that was bad enough to get the boot. Either way, most of us have caused some trouble and subsequently grew up.

Actually, research has shown that successful athletic programs are a recruiting tool for the rest of the school. Examples are schools like Gonzaga and Butler having success in the NCAA basketball tournament and having increased applications. It can also help recruit faculty if they are interested in athletics. And successful athletics help increase donations to the entire school, not just the athletic program. So if the athletic department is less successful, the entire school will probably suffer.

I figured you were going to respond quick.

Actually many people go to college to get jobs....and UND has a great placement rate and very good professional colleges and a great business college. Believe me the school side of things would be fine. NO way we would ever lose hockey anyways, which brings in almost all the revenue.

Luke says the rumors are not true about the WHL.

That is correct he is not going to the WHL. He will play for the Sioux. The kid may have made some mistakes but how many on this board can say that they have never made a mistake.

Actually many people go to college to get jobs....and UND has a great placement rate and very good professional colleges and a great business college. Believe me the school side of things would be fine. NO way we would ever lose hockey anyways, which brings in almost all the revenue.

One last thing and then I promise that I will go back on topic here. The school might actually suffer because the same people who wouldn't play us in sports would most likely not compete against us in academic competitions. When you compete in those, the departments raise awareness for themselves. Also, some people don't want to get themselves embroiled in a controversy, so faculty members and/or staff members could potentially stay away from UND because of that.

Now, my apologies to the Sicatoka and the rest of the moderation team...Back on topic, I would say for now that Luke is going to do what Luke says he is going to do. None of us will know different until he decides different and states different.

THN's Ryan Kennedy tweeted this today:

Newest Spitfire Patrick Sieloff on if he's going to recruit Jordan Schmaltz to join him in Windsor: "I'll get on that."

About an hour later a person named Neate Sager who is a junior hockey blogger for Yahoo! Canada Sports tweeted that Jordan Schmaltz is fully committed to coming to UND:

Jordan Schmaltz is "100% committed to North Dakota, I think it's going to be great for me. Get a lot faster, get a lot stronger."

Maybe it's just me but I find that Ryan Kennedy tweet to be bothering. Sure, Patrick Sieloff could've just been joking but I just find it uncool that this Kennedy guy would ask the player who just broke his college committment that question. It would not surprise me if this Sieloff kid did try to recruit Jordan. CHL teams have shown time and time again they will play dirty and do anything to get a kid to renege on their college committment to play in their league. :glare:

I have a pretty good feeling that no matter how hard Mr. Sieloff tries to recruit Jordan he will have no luck.

On the flipside though didn't JT Miller after the draft say that he was fully committed to going to UND. We all know how well that worked out.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits