SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Blake Heinrich a defenseman from Hill-Murray has committed to Duluth, not sure how interested the Sioux were in him but I really liked how he played and his style when watching him play in the state tournament he looks to be a very solid player, good size, very physical, and a decent skater.

I was very impressed with him as well. What year did he commit for?

I was very impressed with him as well. What year did he commit for?

Not sure just saw it on twitter, it looks like he doesn't graduate until 2013 though. He looks like the type of player who could maybe play right away though and I guess he could opt to play in the USHL instead of his last year of high school next year too.

Not sure just saw it on twitter, it looks like he doesn't graduate until 2013 though. He looks like the type of player who could maybe play right away though and I guess he could opt to play in the USHL instead of his last year of high school next year too.

He's said he's not leaving high school for juniors. I'd suspect he'd go to UMD in 2014, but you never know.

Some potential guys the Sioux could be interested in

Minnesota Select 17s headed to national camp

G Tanner Holmes (Thief River Falls)

D Michael Brodzinski (Blaine) Minnesota, D Jordan Gross (Maple Grove) Notre Dame, D Blake Heinrich (Hill-Murray) Minnesota-Duluth, D Neal Pionk (Hermantown), D James Schuldt (Minnetonka), D Thomas Vannelli (Minnetonka)

F Tyler Cline (Blaine), F Thomas Hajicek (East Grand Forks), F Connor Hurley (Edina), F Karson Kuhlman (Cloquet), F Dan Labosky (Benilde) Colorado College, F Avery Peterson (Grand Rapids), F Jack Ramsey (Minnetonka), F Tyler Sheehy (Burnsville), F Steven Spinner (Eden Prairie)

Some potential guys the Sioux could be interested in

Minnesota Select 16s headed to national camp

G Jake Kielly (Eden Prairie bantams), G Chase Perry (Andover)

D Jack Dougherty (St. Thomas Academy), D Jack Glover (Benilde), D Griffin Slightham (Rochester Lourdes), D Jack Walker (Edina), D Zach Weier (St. Thomas Academy), D Nick Wolff (Eagan)

F Paul Bittner (Crookston) Portland WHL, F William Hammer (St. Cloud Cathedral), F Dylan Malmquist (Edina), F Joseph Marooney (Holy Family), F Cullen Munson (Edina), F Ryan Norman (Shattuck U-16), F Chase Phelps (Shattuck U-16), F Austin Poganski (St. Cloud Cathedral), F Michael Sauer (Bemidji), F Jake Wahlin (White Bear Lake), F Andrew Zerban (Elk River)

USHL Futures Draft - Mason Morelli is selected by Fargo Force

Via Twitter

Fargo Force have selected forward Mason Morelli, who is from Minot. He boosted his stock big time with a hat trick in the first game.

Morelli's grandfather and father both played at the University of North Dakota. He's a 5-11, 185-pound forward.

I don't know what the kid's skill set is, but it would be cool to have 3 generations of Morellis play for UND. Happy to see him drafted by the local USHL club.

Via Twitter

I don't know what the kid's skill set is, but it would be cool to have 3 generations of Morellis play for UND. Happy to see him drafted by the local USHL club.

Drafted with the 3rd overall pick. Hopefully the Fargo to UND pipeline is in effect here. The background on his twitter is the Fighting Sioux logo, I have no inside information whatsoever, but I expect he commits to UND.

Via Twitter

I use to coach Mason on a AAA team back when he was a squirt. Dang good kid and his dad Matt is a hoot. Still has a long ways to go but from his freshman year to his sophomore year he has made huge strides.

Drafted with the 3rd overall pick. Hopefully the Fargo to UND pipeline is in effect here. The background on his twitter is the Fighting Sioux logo, I have no inside information whatsoever, but I expect he commits to UND.

Just talked to Masons dad Matt and he said he will play for the Minot Tauros next year and then for the Force the following year which would be his senior year in high school.

Just talked to Masons dad Matt and he said he will play for the Minot Tauros next year and then for the Force the following year which would be his senior year in high school.

Does he not think he is ready to make the jump to the USHL? Or not ready to leave home yet?

I for one don't think he is ready yet and I'm sure he probably isn't ready to leave home yet.

I don't think in general too many are ready. Glancing at USHL rosters, there really weren't too many high school juniors on the rosters this past year. Maybe a couple per team or something.

I for one don't think he is ready yet and I'm sure he probably isn't ready to leave home yet.

Ok, just curious, I know the 1st overall pick in the Futures draft is playing HS next year as well.

Would be nice to see the Sioux sign Morelli and have a third generation kid on the team. Everyone knows about Reggie, and his father Matt was with the Sioux for a bit (can't remember exactly how long, or how much he got to play).

A year with the Tauros and then the Force will do the kid extremely well. Plus staying in state always helps when it comes to recruiting.

Would be nice to see the Sioux sign Morelli and have a third generation kid on the team. Everyone knows about Reggie, and his father Matt was with the Sioux for a bit (can't remember exactly how long, or how much he got to play).

A year with the Tauros and then the Force will do the kid extremely well. Plus staying in state always helps when it comes to recruiting.

Matt played for 4 years and was a roll player. I think he had something like 11 carreer goals.

Question about the USHL draft - if a kid is drafted, did he already know there was interest in him and he acknowledged he would commit to a team, or are USHL teams drafting players and they hope they commit (instead of staying in high school)?

Question about the USHL draft - if a kid is drafted, did he already know there was interest in him and he acknowledged he would commit to a team, or are USHL teams drafting players and they hope they commit (instead of staying in high school)?

The USHL has two drafts- the futures draft and the entry draft. The futures draft occurred yesterday. I assume this is the one your are wondering about.

The futures draft allows for teams to protect the rights of the players that they select through the 2012-2013 season by having them on the affiliate listing. Meaning that players selected in the futures draft have their USHL rights held by the team that drafted them throughout this coming season even if they spend the year playing high school or midget.

The USHL teams are limited to how many players they can "protect" and put on the affiliate list, so they are careful to try not and waste either their draft picks.

The USHL has two drafts- the futures draft and the entry draft. The futures draft occurred yesterday. I assume this is the one your are wondering about.

The futures draft allows for teams to protect the rights of the players that they select through the 2012-2013 season by having them on the affiliate listing. Meaning that players selected in the futures draft have their USHL rights held by the team that drafted them throughout this coming season even if they spend the year playing high school or midget.

The USHL teams are limited to how many players they can "protect" and put on the affiliate list, so they are careful to try not and waste either their draft picks.

Thanks for the reply. So this past futures draft protects USHL teams from losing a prospect to another USHL team, correct? It doesn't mean that a player has committed to the USHL, right?

How does the prospect draft work?

Thanks for the reply. So this past futures draft protects USHL teams from losing a prospect to another USHL team, correct? It doesn't mean that a player has committed to the USHL, right?

How does the prospect draft work?

The futures draft protects the team from losing that prospect to another USHL team. You are correct that it is not a commitment to play. In hockey, it is all by birth year, so all the players taken yesterday are 96ers. Meaning that they are either 15 or 16 years old right now.

The entry draft does not have an age limit. That is the biggest difference.

When drafting, the teams are most concerned about managing that list of affiliated players, because if a player is not on that list, any USHL team can go after them, invite them to a try-out etc. The teams are also trying to manage that affiliate list for this coming season and the next couple as well. So, the teams will protect the players that are already part of the team that they don't want to lose, and they will also protect the guys that they see joining the team this year, next year, etc.

Fargo Forum article on Mason Morelli

“I was in school and my dad texted me the Force traded up to third, and I thought that would be awesome to get drafted by the Force,” Morelli said. “It is close to my hometown. Assistant coach Jesse Davis called me 45 minutes prior to the draft and told me the Force were going to be taking me. I was pretty fired up.””

Morelli, who said he wants to also play at North Dakota, has the chance to become the fifth North Dakotan to play for the Force if he makes the team next season.

Davis said he had the best chance of making the team out of the players the Force selected in the draft.

Ok, just curious, I know the 1st overall pick in the Futures draft is playing HS next year as well.

Don't know if you'll see him in the USHL for a while, he had an offer from the USNTDP but turned it down and said he wants to continue to stay with his high school team and his biggest goal is to reach the state tournament, said he plans on being at Holy Family(his high school team) for his whole high school career.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits