SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Does anyone know how good Chris Wilkie of the Omaha AAA Lancers 16U could be. See UND offered him a scholarship and his going to play for the Sioux.

Its hard to predict with players so young, but since he has been offered a scholarship the coaching staff thinks he can become a special player. I know he has already been selected in the WHL bantam draft, so its not just UND who thinks this kid will be good.

I also would not be surprised to see him end up at the US NTDP.

He fared really well at USA Hockey's Select 15 camp last summer, where he was one of the camp's top scorers. From what I've read his work ethic is second to none, and he's got the genes - his dad, who was also his coach at Omaha AAA, spent a handful of years in the NHL and is a former 1st round pick.

Vermont this year, Robert Morris, some other AHA teams. Not world-beater teams, but they could hang with some college teams.

You mean the team that beat the WCHA Champs, that Vermont? Benilde might have what, 4, maybe 5 guys that could earn scholarships if they produce in Junior Hockey, but I really think you are kidding yourself if you think that they could compete with a college team.

I would agree the Minnesota State High School tourney is a different level of hockey, but I don't know if the teams could beat college teams maybe with the way Benilde was playing and everything just seemed to go their way. Benilde and Hill probably have 3-4 D1 players each. On a side note a great story seeing Benilde win the championship with the whole JABS story and what a performance by Besse.

Vermont this year, Robert Morris, some other AHA teams. Not world-beater teams, but they could hang with some college teams.

There is no way BSM would compete with a Division I team or a Division III team.

I know he's not a UND prospect, but Grant Besse (future popcorn skunk) has 5 goals for Benilde St. Margarets in the Class AA title game. 3 of those SH

He has no business in high school hockey next year if you ask me. Time to move on if you dominate like that. I couldn't believe how ridiculous that was.

He has no business in high school hockey next year if you ask me. Time to move on if you dominate like that. I couldn't believe how ridiculous that was.

If I were him I'd come back there is no way I'd be able to pass up on everything that is Minnesota High School Hockey. Its not like he is not going to be facing good competition as his team is going to an independent schedule so they'll be able to play all the top teams and not some of the bottom teams like they had to do in their conference.

I tip my hat to BSM, they had a great recruiting year... Actually in fairness that bette describes STA.

It's really time for all the recruiting private schools to have own tourney or all in one section. Rediculous that STA has an enrollment of almost 1000 (all boys) and gets to play class A. At least BSM moved up to AA a few years ago.

It's really time for all the recruiting private schools to have own tourney or all in one section. Rediculous that STA has an enrollment of almost 1000 (all boys) and gets to play class A. At least BSM moved up to AA a few years ago.

I don't think they should have their own tourney, but most private schools should have to play AA with the exception of some who can't even compete in class A.

Coming back will DO him no good if he's that dominate. Me personally would move on if I was him

Coming back can do him good he will have a big leadership role on the team and will face a much more competitive schedule than what he played this year, plus its Minnesota High School Hockey...nothing like it. He could also play juniors before and after the high school season like Rau did his Senior year.

STA enrollent is 553 and they doubel it since it all boys for classification purposes

That would explain why they listed 1000 on the telecast. I thought it seemed a bit high, but I know the Strib was making a big stink a few years back about how they have been skirting the attendance and move to AA.

Problem is that MN does things backwards. They limit the number of big schools schools instead of the opposite. Since teams like Roseau and BSM move up it kicks some larger schools down like Bemidji a couple years ago.