SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Perhaps the coaching staff needs to keep an eye on the Central Junior League in Ontario as well. St Cloud just landed a good one in Lasch from the Pembroke Lumber Kings, he has 60 points in just 26 games. My pick for the Diamond in the rough is the 6'7" D man with the Hawkesbury Hawks, Benoit Gravel.

Sounds like he is a big boy....

Jordan Willert is starting to get some big-time respect among the pro scouts. Willert is a 6'2", 215 lb. high school senior from Minot currently playing for Tri-City in the USHL. McKeen's ranks him #76 for the 2006 draft this month and says he is "a creative playmaking forward with great size .. good hands, but non-physical, like a younger Steve Bernier." He wasn't in the top 100 previously. He is now placed ahead of Mike Carman (Gophers), Blake Geoffrion (Badgers), and Eric Gryba (BU) to name a few.

We beat out BU for Finley and now BU returns the favor on Gryba.

I saw Gryba play last year. He was a big kid with above average hands and hockey sense. He ran the powerplay very effectively for the Saskatoon Contacts.

My only question mark was his skating which I would describe as below average to well below average. As a result, he may or may not become a dominant defencemen in college hockey. You can't really tell until he gets into a practice or game with guys that can really skate to determine if he can or cannot keep up.

Minnesota lands 2 more studs for 2007. I wonder is the Sioux had interest in Fairchild, as he is a Northern MN boy. I keep expecting to hear some more Sioux signings for 2007.

Fairchild I believe was considering UMD, Wisconsin and Minny while Hoeffel? was listed as considering UND, UMD, Wisconsin and Minny. Both said they decided on Minny for the same stupid reason many do "Every kid who grows up in Minnesota dreams of playing for the Gophers". I can only reply to that by saying only the ones that are brainwashed and thats coming from a true Iron Ranger.

Fairchild I believe was considering UMD, Wisconsin and Minny while Hoeffel? was listed as considering UND, UMD, Wisconsin and Minny. Both said they decided on Minny for the same stupid reason many do "Every kid who grows up in Minnesota dreams of playing for the Gophers". I can only reply to that by saying only the ones that are brainwashed and thats coming from a true Iron Ranger.

Personally, I have no problem with the MN dream. I would rather that UND attract the players who dream of playing the NHL. A loftier goal leads to loftier play, unless of course your main goal in life is to get into drinking establishments in the big city for free. ;)

Minnesota lands 2 more studs for 2007. I wonder is the Sioux had interest in Fairchild, as he is a Northern MN boy. I keep expecting to hear some more Sioux signings for 2007.

There are some old and newer Sioux names that might be showing up in the 2007 or 2008 recruiting classes, such as Christian, Marvin, Lamoreaux, Zajac and Toews. I don't know anything about any of these particular cases, but history suggests that family ties play a role in the recruiting process. This is all pending continued development, etc.

Lack of talent will rarely if ever be an excuse in either GF or Minneapolis. My limited viewing of Fairchild was at the State Tourney last year and he seems like at typical Lucia defensemen. Smaller and very good with the puck. Of course he was a 10th grader at that time so he may get bigger.

For anyone who is interested in making the trip (I'll bet one Sioux coach will be there) the Tier two prospects game will be played in Yorkton SK on 7 Dec. Unfortunately some of the players listed are already spoken for ;)

http://yorktonterriers.com/prospectsgame/

Team West looks pretty good from what little I know about any of the players.

I'm going to throw out a few more names just for giggles. I'd love to hear other opinions.

Aaron Marvin, junior forward, Warroad HS. I've only seen him live a couple of times, but I really like him. He's a fairly tall, rangy kid with excellent skills. I think he will be a real good one.

Jordy Christian, junior forward, Moorhead HS. Small, but very quick and fun to watch. He will definitely need to get stronger, but he's got great bloodlines (son of former Sioux Eddie Christian, nephew of Dave).

Carl Sneep, senior defenseman, Brainerd HS. Another multi-sport athlete who elected to remain in HS instead of go to the USHL. Plays tight end and linebacker for the football team. He has produced very well in the Midwest HS Elite League this fall despite playing football at the same time. Big, strong, athletic.

A couple of minor updates--Charley Walters had this in the Pioneer Press today:

"The top Minnesota senior boys high school hockey players this season, according to one NHL scout, are Apple Valley's David Fisher, who has committed to the Gophers; Thief River Falls' Mike Forney, who has committed to North Dakota; Brainerd's Carl Sneep; and Warroad's Aaron Marvin."

I think Marvin is only an 11th grader this year, but it is nice to see him on that list.

I heard Moorhead coach Dave Morinville on the radio the other day talking about the upcoming Spuds season. He mentioned that Jordy Christian had a great summer in the weight room and that he increased his bench press by 50 pounds. I don't think a bench press is all that important in hockey, but if he increased his lower body strength by a similar degree, he will have a very big season.

I only saw Marvin play a couple of games on TV in last year's MN state tourney, but he looked like he could be a pretty good player. If he turns out this good, I hope he is predisposed to wear green and not maroon. I know there have been Marvins who played/play for the gopher teams (men and womens).

From the WSJ:

UW could hear from Evan Trupp, an 18-year-old playmaking center with Penticton of the British Columbia Hockey League, before the end of the month.

Trupp, who leads the Vees with 14 goals and 31 assists in 31 games, made his official visit to UW in mid-November. He is scheduled to visit North Dakota and New Hampshire.

I am assuming he is a speed guy. Not the biggest build.

Evan Trupp-LW Penticton (BCHL) 5'8 145 10-22-87 1-0-0-0-0 2004 USA U-18 team; 2003 USA U-17 team

I dug up a couple of things on Trupp via Google. He's from Anchorage. He played internationally for the USA on the Select16 and Select17 teams (with Taylor Chorney and Brian Lee) in 2003 and 2004 respectively. His father also played for Penticton, and later UAF. Evan apparently has a scholarship offer from UAA. He was the Alaska state coaches' player of the year last year. He's been described as an elusive skater and good passer who is adept at finding open ice.

I dug up a couple of things on Trupp via Google. He's from Anchorage. He played internationally for the USA on the Select16 and Select17 teams (with Taylor Chorney and Brian Lee) in 2003 and 2004 respectively. His father also played for Penticton, and later UAF. Evan apparently has a scholarship offer from UAA. He was the Alaska state coaches' player of the year last year. He's been described as an elusive skater and good passer who is adept at finding open ice.

I do find it funny that the BCHL refers to non BC players as imports...

He could be a good recruit for the Sioux. Brian Stewart is the latest Future player listed on the BCHL homepage.

"Brian has really come into his own this season. He boasts a sparkling 92.93% SV average playing in 27 of the teams games. At 6' 4" and 195 lbs Brian is an imposing figure in the net. His 19 wins are tops in the league for goaltenders." Off BCHL website

From the WSJ:

I work in the Memorial Union on campus... I was working this morning and I noticed Eades giving someone a tour. I figured it must be a hockey recruit... on the back of his jacket was a number 9... but I didn't catch the name on the front. Doing some research on our recruits and the number and picture of Evan Trupp matches. He's definatly here visiting this weekend.

I work in the Memorial Union on campus... I was working this morning and I noticed Eades giving someone a tour. I figured it must be a hockey recruit... on the back of his jacket was a number 9... but I didn't catch the name on the front. Doing some research on our recruits and the number and picture of Evan Trupp matches. He's definatly here visiting this weekend.

I'm not sure how BCHL teams are with recruiting, but Penticton plays home games tonight and tomorrow night (12/9 and 12/10). ;)