SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota and ND State

JESUS,family,rutgers

NDSU's most recent response to UND's "olive branch" tells you exactly what the deal was...they wanted to use us for a couple good gates in the "critical" tranistion years (the first 2) but now that they're out of that...it's "screw you! We can't afford to lose to a D2 school NOW!! " Tells you exactly how much they "valued" the rivalry;)

As to the "prestige" of di-AA?? Just the fact NDSU has made so much progress by piling money into scholarships to bring in a bunch of players from all over the country should tell you - "you can get good with money in di-AA! :D " They beat Montana as a DII but finished as the 2nd or 3rd best team in their Division 2 CONFERENCE that year...and didn't make the playoffs...the bottom line is...they bailed out to "division 1" so they wouldn't have to get kicked by UND year after year :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bailed out of dii because it's going down hill, just like UND will do eventually.

Bailed out of dii because it's going down hill, just like UND will do eventually.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe so, but there are two things NDSU will never have that UND will:

1. The Nickel Trophy. We won it, it's ours. Too bad. Stealing it now would be considered punishable by law, not a prank.

2. A true DI National Championship. Ok, so this is a hockey reference, but I doubt I'll see NDSU playing Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, or Miami of Ohio too often. I know NDSU managed to get on Minnesota's schedule somewhere down the road, but how many times will that happen? Is that game even going to count?

What path does NDSU currently have to take to win the DI-AA Football championship?

Maybe so, but there are two things NDSU will never have that UND will:

1. The Nickel Trophy. We won it, it's ours. Too bad. Stealing it now would be considered punishable by law, not a prank.

2. A true DI National Championship. Ok, so this is a hockey reference, but I doubt I'll see NDSU playing Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, or Miami of Ohio too often. I know NDSU managed to get on Minnesota's schedule somewhere down the road, but how many times will that happen? Is that game even going to count?

What path does NDSU currently have to take to win the DI-AA Football championship?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, hockey has nothing to do with this at this point. NDSU is just getting a team started, so you can't compare that. Besides, its just club. Anyeways, I'd have to say that finishing their first season in the top 25 is a good start. Or starting out their second season there, too, is pretty good. I just hope North Dakota will do the same so that we can have our rivalry back. USD just isn't the same.

I don't think I understand exactly what you're implying. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The new conference members NDSU, UC Davis, Cal Poly and UNC were not exactly patsie's in DII. Most I-AA schools came from DII. Add 27 scholarships to UND and how do you think they would compete in I-AA. Probably at a high level. Several NCC teams are closer to I-AA quality than most of the current DII.

Perhaps I was right when I suggested that D-1AA is merely a glorified version of D-2. How many teams are there in D-1AA and how many of them would be likely to beat top D-2 teams like UND, GVSU, and PSU?

The top I-AA teams could beat the top DII teams 9 out of 10 usually. There are exceptions to the rule. I don't know the exact number of schools, about 120. The non-scholarship teams like Valpo (Ivy's not included) would have a tough time winning against the top DII teams. The biggest difference is overall team speed and depth. The top DII teams have several guys with speed and I-AA talent, but there is a drop-off most of the time, with the second string players. Playing a full season in I-AA, you need the depth to compete every week. That's just my observation via the Bison games.

If you like farming or being a door mat for D-I athletics go to NDSU.

Anything else, UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that "door mat" just hammered the 11th ranked team in DI-AA on the road (that school's first non-conference loss in 11 years), and we beat up on mighty Winona State. I hope UND has the good sense to make the move up soon.

The top I-AA teams could beat the top DII teams 9 out of 10 usually. There are exceptions to the rule. I don't know the exact number of schools, about 120. The non-scholarship teams like Valpo (Ivy's not included) would have a tough time winning against the top DII teams. The biggest difference is overall team speed and depth. The top DII teams have several guys with speed and I-AA talent, but there is a drop-off most of the time, with the second string players. Playing a full season in I-AA, you need the depth to compete every week. That's just my observation via the Bison games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That should tell you the 11th RANKED TEAM in di-AA ISN'T VERY GOOD!! If ndsu can move up in two years (GRANTED upgrading scholarships at a DIZZYING RATE! :D ) and beat a "top-ranked team" in a supposedly "BETTER" division -- that should tell you IT'S NOT REALLY A BETTER DIVISION!! What did NDSU do in their last...oh...2 DECADES in D2? ...eh...not so much! di-AA is just D2 with MORE HIRED GUNS!! - yeah...that's big time football :silly:;) We're having a good time right where we are!

I'm sure UND will also move to D-1AA eventually when the time is right. My guess is within about five years or so. It is my belief that NDSU made the jump sooner than neccessary because, according to what I read in the Fargo Forum a couple of years ago, they considered themselves the most prestigeous university in the nation without at least one D-1 sport. I think if NDSU had a D-1 hockey team they would have been more patient and waited for the right time to move up. D-2 may very well become a glorified NSIC someday, but it hasn't started to happen yet. I'm confident that UND will make the move before it gets to that point.

I also feel that UND's dominance of NDSU on the football field over the last decade played a big role in the decision NDSU made to move up. I'm thinking their theory was if they can't beat us on an even playing field they'll get twice as many scholarships and then challenge us to play a game on an uneven playing field, which as far as I'm concerned is like getting beat up by the schoolyard bully only to come back the next day challenging him to a 3-on-1 fight against you and two of your biggest friends.

I believe that the NDSU athletic dept. has a huge inferiority complex towards UND. We have a great hockey team and they don't even have any hockey team at all, which they used to be okay with when they were kicking our butts on the football field every year. But ever since '93 when we started to win the Nickel Trophy game on a regular basis they've become extremely obsessed with their neighbors to the north. Unable to beat us on the field, I believe this move was an attempt on their part to upstage us.

Would they beat us if we played them this year? Well, considering that they now have twice as many scholarships to offer, they most certainly should. What does that prove? If a guy driving a Corvette wins a drag race against a guy driving a Corsica does that make him a better driver?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Bison have had better over all sports programs than the sue for years. You pick fb which you have had good success in the last few years as making your point? When you move up, you move up in ALL sports, and the sue are surely lacking in some of their other sports (even for dii).

Who are the sue. Is this a new team?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he means SIOUX, but down here in Fargo, I can tell you that they don't teach much for spelling.

Remember, though I don't know if it is still under effect, NDSU said they wouldn't call us by any other name than UND or University of North Dakota. So, obviously, their students decided that learning the name of the Sioux is not necessary.

Tony- You're excluded from this.

I live in Fargo currently and I can tell you, not everyone is as stupid as some of the "winners" we get coming here.

NDSU's most recent response to UND's "olive branch" tells you exactly what the deal was...they wanted to use us for a couple good gates in the "critical" tranistion years (the first 2) but now that they're out of that...it's "screw you! We can't afford to lose to a D2 school NOW!! " Tells you exactly how much they "valued" the rivalry;)

As to the "prestige" of di-AA?? Just the fact NDSU has made so much progress by piling money into scholarships to bring in a bunch of players from all over the country should tell you - "you can get good with money in di-AA! :lol: " They beat Montana as a DII but finished as the 2nd or 3rd best team in their Division 2 CONFERENCE that year...and didn't make the playoffs...the bottom line is...they bailed out to "division 1" so they wouldn't have to get kicked by UND year after year ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you dillusional? Do you honestly think that UND would have a chance against NDSU this year? They did not leave division 2 just get away from UND. If that was the case, why did they ask them to play a game last year? (Which was denied by UND.) They left because they are capable of competing at a higher level, something that UND apparently can't do. If UND wants to try to make ammends for a stupid mistake now, they are sorely mistaken. By the way good job in beating Westchester, Central Washington, & Winona- those are quality institutions. :D

Hey Da Bizon? How was Montana Tech??? Last year in Football...any Wins in Volleyball,Basketball,Soccer...hell with it do you guys beat any Div ONE schools Let us Know???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm not thinking about the past... I'm focusing on the present- like how NDSU just beat #9 Northwestern State 35-7 and our soccer team just beat Drake and UNI. Did I mention that the football team is currently number 10 in the country in our 2nd year of D1-aa?

now THIS is just getting STUPID!  and this is coming from a guy who's been known to be a little defensive about UND v. nsdu!  C'mon Jim!  shut down this topic and "BAN" these losers! 

Obviously they have NOTHING SUBSTANTIAL going on at PLAYOFFINELIGIBLE-VILLE :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You think we should banned? All you can say is that NDSU has an inferiority complex to UND with nothing to back yourself up. I think you should ban yourself.