SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-2006 Women's Hockey Thread

HockeyMom

Wisconsin did indeed score in the third to win it 3-2. The shots on goal were 46-23 Wisconsin. UND had 7 penalties to Wisconsins 4. Goaltending obviously is what kept us in this game. Hopefully the ladies come out again tomorrow with another good showing, only a better ending.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Madison. We did lose 3-2. Three straight power plays for the BADgers in the 3rd sort of did us in. They looked a little tired after that and let in the GWG. My first women's game and it was fun. Looks like the Sioux women keep getting better and competing. If the BADgers are #2 in the country then the Sioux are doing well. The bonus was that they let us in for free as it was some type of kids day. Still hardly anybody there. Good luck to the men tonight.

About to head out for the men's game and then we will hit the women's game tomorrow.

I'd like to see as many Sioux fans as possible in town for the men's game to come out and check out the women's team. Face off is at 2:07 both Saturday and Sunday.

They're playing #2 Minnesota-Duluth. The last time these two teams met, it took UMD overtime to defeat the Sioux.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We better get this thread going again. I thought that the ladies would have had a better start to this year. They only graduated 2 seniors from last year and their first recruiting class is seniors. The Sioux face Maine this weekend. It would be nice to see the ladies get 2 nice non-conference wins to help boost their confidence before they start a string of conference games. If they are going to move up in the standings, now is the time, as six of their next 7 series are at home!! In order to become a competative team, we are going to have to start finding ways to get the win in some of these close games and start pulling a few upsets.

The remainder of the schedule:

Nov 25 MAINE Grand Forks, N.D. 7:07 p.m.

Nov 26 MAINE Grand Forks, N.D. 7:07 p.m.

Dec 2 MINNESOTA * Grand Forks, N.D. 7:07 p.m.

Dec 3 MINNESOTA * Grand Forks, N.D. 7:07 p.m.

Dec 10 BEMIDJI STATE * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:07 p.m.

Dec 11 BEMIDJI STATE * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:07 p.m.

Jan 6 at Vermont Burlington, Vt. 6:00 p.m.

Jan 7 at Vermont Burlington, Vt. 6:00 p.m.

Jan 13 WISCONSIN * Grand Forks, N.D. 7:07 p.m.

Jan 14 WISCONSIN * Grand Forks, N.D. 7:07 p.m.

Jan 21 ST. CLOUD STATE * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:07 p.m.

Jan 22 ST. CLOUD STATE * Grand Forks, N.D. 3:07 p.m.

Jan 28 MINNESOTA STATE * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:07 p.m.

Jan 29 MINNESOTA STATE * Grand Forks, N.D. 3:07 p.m.

Feb 3 at Bemidji State * Bemidji, Minn. 7:07 p.m.

Feb 4 at Bemidji State * Bemidji, Minn. 2:07 p.m.

Feb 10 at Minnesota Duluth * Duluth, Minn. 7:07 p.m.

Feb 11 at Minnesota Duluth * Duluth, Minn. 7:07 p.m.

Feb 18 OHIO STATE * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:07 p.m.

Feb 19 OHIO STATE * Grand Forks, N.D. 12:07 p.m.

Feb 25 at Minnesota * Minneapolis, Minn. 3:07 p.m.

Feb 26 at Minnesota * Minneapolis, Minn. 3:07 p.m.

Mar 2-Mar 5 vs. WCHA Playoff Championship TBA TBA

Edited by dakotadan

On uscho.com, many of the posters there are predicting a sweep of Maine.

I don't know if they were kidding around or if Maine's team isn't that good or if they see UND's team as truly one that is growing in competitiveness.

Either way, I'll take the predictions and hope for the best!

Sioux sweep!

GO SIOUX LADIES!

The WCHA is also a tough as nails conference. Not an easy place for a young team to be when trying to build a program.....

I have no idea what Maine's team is like, but it should be a series that the Sioux take seriously, given that Rivard and Froats both have ties to the Black Bears.

We won't be at tonight's game......but will be there tomorrow afternoon, supporting the Sioux as usual. Should be fun.

Went to the game last night. Looked like a decent turnout. The game was pretty fast-paced and the Sioux fought hard, they just came up short.

There were a couple punches thrown too....I kinda liked it.

UND had like very few shots in the first period but eventually out-shot Maine. Maine's goalie just seemed like a huge brick wall.

Next up are the Gophers.......

Hockey Mom, you are always so positive...I wish I could sitting next to you during games. Myself and everyone around me couldn't see too many positive things happening during this last weekends games! I wonder what it's going to take to get a win.

Were you in the crowd behind us? ;) I swear too much, you probably don't wanna sit by me. Believe me there have been times when I've wanted to scream this season........but is it really worth it? Probably not.

There are so many intricacies that make hockey a beautiful game. A two-line pass to a forward open on mid ice, a three on one that gets broken up by the defender.....a glove save on a point blank slapshot. A Maine player hitting her head on the glass right in front of us and falling.....hard. Mini Me finally starting to bang on the glass in front of us.

Put a fraction of a second longer on the clock in St. Cloud, we win. A shot goes our way in Wisconsin, we win. Hockey is a game of inches sometimes, you just have to hang on eventually your team will get that big win that opens things up. I guess I'm just thankful that there is a women's team to support.....and it's important for my daughter to see it. (the little turd snagged a hat trick in termite practice scrimmage on Friday :D She stick handled around another player on the second goal, yes it was slow motion, but beautiful nonetheless.)

San Diego won in OT yesterday....and all of their losses this season have come in the waning minutes....if that can happen, anything can happen.

I don't know what the ladies need to win. They should not be losing to teams like Maine, and St Cloud. They have the players, and definately have the talent to upset big teams, and to stack the score against the slower and not as talented teams. Sometimes it seems that the girls just aren't having fun out there, everything is over calculated and they're just going through the motions. The rate they're going right now, I'm not even sure they'll pull a sweep against Bemidji, as they've been a strong contender this year. Although I didn't go to the game on Saturday, I watched Friday night, and it just seemed like we had no defense. Too many D skating with the puck, and not playing their position. With that though, in the 3rd everyone was playing by themselves, there was no "team" in that period, just individuals. I've also heard the girls are not happy with the coaching, perhaps this has something to do with their play. Whatever it is, I hope they figure it out and play hockey the fighting sioux way.

GO sioux.

I want the ladies to win as much as the next Sioux fan, but I'm not holding my breath for this next series.

They are the defending champs.

MY Personal hope is that we make them sweat. Maybe hold a lead for a while or keep it a one goal contest. Maybe go to OT.

Or maybe get something both games that gives the fans something to cheer about.

And, yeah, I'm going to say that I'm disappointed with the Maine series.

2. Are the Sioux planning on expanding their recruiting areas to bring in better players?

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/whockey/roster.asp

An area from Quebec to Minnesota to Colorado to Alaska (including the western Canadian provinces) isn't big enough? ;)

Are you saying we should be having Sparky go home for Christmas and watch some pond hockey? :0

The coaches cover the prime areas for women's hockey. It's odd there are no Ontario, or more Quebec players yet though, as they are bigger hockey hot beds than Minnesota or any other state or province. I don't think it is a problem of the coaches not covering enough area, but it's a problem with the recruits not wanting to come play for North Dakota. When they are being offered scholarships at bigger, WINNING, schools, it's hard to draw the big players, even with the Englestad. Most players don't want to come to a school that is 0-12-2 right now, and after Bemidji will just have to play the same teams over again. Regarding the back to back games, NCAA doesn't allow it due to ice prep.

Am I in the right thread?

Discussion?

Maybe I should start drinking margs in the afternoon more often.

Thanks for the scholarship info, I didn't know that before.

I wish I knew what the answer was on the wins. That's probably a big reason why I'm not a coach, and I have no desire to be one.

Question is, how long does the Athletic Department wait before heads start to roll?

I think that with the new Athletic director, he might not switch up the coaching staff of the teams unless it seems incrediably necessary. However, I have heard that there is internal conflict on the team regarding the coaching staff, but again that is hear say information, and I have no basis as to whether that is true or not. This might explain some of performances of the women's team though, as it is hard to play without a united team. Just a suggestion? If none of this is true, then perhaps this team just doesn't mesh well, because as I have said before, and others have said, this years team seems to be comprised of individual players trying to do it themselves. Not trying to knock the girls, but this is what it looks like from the stands. Perhaps Rivard needs to come up with a new strategy for the new year, and our team will start fresh as January rolls around. Sometimes the girl's just look tired (2 lines are rolled continuously, with the 3rd 90% of the time, and the 4th has yet to see ice), so hopefully they'll rest up and January will be a new year for Fighting Sioux Women's Hockey.

I am not sure anyone has considered that the womens team is playing without two of its top players from last year which could be contributing to some of these loses. Melissa Dianoski, and Sarah Connelly havent played for whatever reason this season and where both key players on last years team. There have been alot of one and two goal games and with these two players in the line up maybe some of those loses and ties would be wins. Hopefully they will be back in the line-up for the second half and build towards the playoffs.

At meet the sioux Sarah Connelly and Melissa said they were not going to play because of eligibility reasons. I think that their absence contributes to the women's losses but it is only a minor factor. The freshman class is a strong year, but for some reason two players who have gotten a lot of points, or created a lot of opportunity (Alyssa Johnson and Samantha Bowers) have been put back on Defense? Then one of our strongest defenders (Devon Fingland) was put to Forward? It seems as though the absence of Johnson and Samantha on forward have made an impact on how many points we get, as the Wooster sisters can't do it alone. I'm sorry I sound so negative towards the women's program this year, but it is hard to find a positive in their preformance thus far this season.