SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Perhaps Izenberg needs to be enlightened on the $1M settlement SCCC reached with certain victims of systemic racism and anti-semitism on his buddy's Saigo's watch, as well as the *real* federal investigation, not some pansy-ass, do nothing commission like was on UND's campus. 

Do you think these whiny, left-wing losers send each other their columns so they can cut 'n paste the same recycled crap?  It's like a circuit of post-60s bilge that even Al Franken wouldn't touch.  Nicky Coleman should sue Nicky Izenberg for copyright infringement and unlawful recycling of old news.  :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe we should inform Izenberg who bad of a college SCCC is? They are a second rate WCHA program and if I am not mistaken they aren't rated real well when it comes to academics. Nor are they a very good college athletically either.

I remember when my buddy was an RA at SCCC back in the early 1990's at one of the residence hall and their campus was ripe with racial problems. I can't imagine it has changed that much.

From the Miami Herald 8/20/2005:

NCAA waffles; FSU might get to remain the Seminoles

Note the use of the word "waffles" in response to the NCAA's latest action. As expected, FSU is looking out for its own interests and nobody else's.

The good news? FSU has opened the door to exemptions. UND needs to emphasize its number of American Indian students, the programs for them and the results they produce. A new resolution from the Spirit Lake Sioux strongly endorsing UND's use of the Fighting Sioux name wouldn't hurt, either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully the Spirit Lake Tribe will help out.

PCM, is there anything we can do to encourage them to produce a supporting resolution?

Hopefully the Spirit Lake Tribe will help out. 

PCM, is there anything we can do to encourage them to produce a supporting resolution?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think pressuring or even encouraging the Spirit Lake tribe to pass a resolution supporting UND would be a mistake at this point.

I think pressuring or even encouraging the Spirit Lake tribe to pass a resolution supporting UND would be a mistake at this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I think the President of the Spirit Lake Band quoted in other articles doesn't see the "hub-bub" about the name/logo, so it probably doesn't create too much of an issue at this point.

I agree. I think the President of the Spirit Lake Band quoted in other articles doesn't see the "hub-bub" about the name/logo, so it probably doesn't create too much of an issue at this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would actually be good news. I suppose UND would want to go easy in prosuing a resolution on this issue.

http://starbulletin.com/2000/07/27/sports/story1.html

Newspaper article from 5 years ago about the University of Hawaii's name and logo change. UH went from being the Rainbows to the Warriors for men's teams. Interesting read from the you can't please 'em all department. BTW, UH's use of the name Warriors and their native Hawaiian-themed logo deemed not hostile and abusive by NCAA but, as article shows, not everyone is so forgiving.

From the wire:

American Indian activist Vernon Bellecourt says it would be wrong-headed for the N-C-A-A to consider allowing schools to use Indian nicknames, even if tribes

give their OK.

Bellecourt also says the issue should go beyond Indian nicknames to include other monikers -- like Notre Dame's Fighting Irish.

He says he's heard from people of Irish ancestry who are opposed to the nickname use. He says they think they're being portrayed as drunks or leprechauns.

From the wire:

American Indian activist Vernon Bellecourt says it would be wrong-headed for the N-C-A-A to consider allowing schools to use Indian nicknames, even if tribes

give their OK.

Bellecourt also says the issue should go beyond Indian nicknames to include other monikers -- like Notre Dame's Fighting Irish.

He says he's heard from people of Irish ancestry who are opposed to the nickname use. He says they think they're being portrayed as drunks or leprechauns.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bellecourt himself used racist and inflammatory language yesterday when conducting an interview with KNOX radio in Grand Forks.

He basically called Native Americans who support the name as having a "hang around the plantation negro mentality" wow

American Indian activist Vernon Bellecourt says it would be wrong-headed for the N-C-A-A to consider allowing schools to use Indian nicknames, even if tribes give their OK.
No surprise there at all.

Looks like Vern got my e-mail. ;)

Sad to admit that Jerry Izenberg is a Rutgers grad. I was surprised by the article since he is usually not a big fan of the NCAA. If the politically correct thought police have their way, I think the next group of colleges attacked will be those with religious nicknames such as the Holy Cross Crusaders, Siena Saints, etc.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX! GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

Advocating a scorched earth policy, out go Britons, Celtics (and Celts), Dutch and Dutchmen (Flying or otherwise), Gaels, Highlanders & Tartans, Hoosiers, Quakers (Hustlin' and otherwise), Fighting Irish, Ragin' Cajuns, Saxons, Scots (and Scotties), Sooners, Spartans, Swedes, Texans, Trojans, Vandals and Vikings. I'm sure there are some other hostile and offensive names I forgot.

Perhaps the most salient points I've yet seen on the nickname issue are in the attached article: the opposers of Indian nicknames rely largely on emotional appeals to confirm their ill-formed logic. No one dares question the emotional health or idiosyncrasies of those claiming "abuse", as those questioning get cast as insensitive, abusive, and unenlightened. On the pro-nickname side, no existing political groups will expend the political energy to counter the emotional arguments.

The Diversity Bowl: No admittance to the abusively named.

The Chronicle of Higher Education likewise noted the challenges that face the University of North Dakota that has its "Fighting Sioux" logo carved in rock at its $100 million Ralph Engelstad Arena. Loyalty to team names and mascots may have been the last redoubt of emotional resistance to the tyranny of multicultural sensitivity on college campuses.

You can find a handful of intellectual resistors to the incoherent claims of diversiphiles on almost any campus, but they have little clout.

Bellecourt himself used racist and inflammatory language yesterday when conducting an interview with KNOX radio in Grand Forks. 

He basically called Native Americans who support the name as having a "hang around the plantation negro mentality

"

Wow, slap two racial groups in the face with one racist spurred epithet!! Is this the type of drivel the NC$$ is responding too?!

"Negro"? :huh:

The Bellecourt brothers, and Russell Means, are really nothing more than carpet-bagging opportunists who whore themselves out to the media on demand. They get trotted out by their white, liberal "friends" whenever the name issue comes up, or there is a perception that people are not sufficiently "respectful" of Indians, and they need "true representatives" of "Native Americans". I think the only thing missing is a bra to hold some dollar bills. ;)

Aug. 25, 2005

From the Upper Cape Codder:

How do you spell hypocrisy? NCAA

Drinking, rape and drugs have been running rampant on college campuses for years, but the presidents and chancellors are targeting Indian nicknames as offensive?
From the Daily Illini:

North Dakota, Utah to appeal NCAA ruling

The University of North Dakota says it will file an appeal by week's end. The University of Utah says it hopes to appeal early next week. This leaves Illinois as the largest school to have taken no action against the new policy - but there are more than five months in which that could change.

From Central Michigan Life:

[url=http://www.cm-life.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/08/25/430d1151beb1b]CMU won

Despite this, Vernon Bellecourt, an Objiwe Indian and president of the National Coalition on Racism in Sports and Media, told the Washington Times that the Seminole tribal leaders shouldn't speak for the entire tribe because they were "hang-around the fort Indians," in reference to Indians who were friendly to the U.S. Army and set up their camps around their forts during the 19th century.

It seems that every time Bellecourt opens his mouth, his foot ends up squarely planted in it. I have no idea how many members this coalition has, but can't they find somebody a little more diplomatic (and less offensive) as their mouthpiece?

This was put on the Grand Forks Herald's Web site in the "Local Update" column.

NCAA appeal: UND President Charles Kupchella talked on Wednesday with a National Collegiate Athletic Association official concerning questions about the NCAA's mandate preventing the school's postseason use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and logo, starting Feb. 1.

In a conversation with Bernard Franklin, vice president for governance and membership, Kupchella clarified the appeals process and sought to clarify the NCAA's description of UND's nickname and logo use as "hostile and abusive," UND spokesman Peter Johnson said Wednesday.

UND plans to appeal.

In another story I posted a link to earlier, Phil Harmeson said UND's appeal would be sent to the NCAA on Friday before the end of the business day.

... Vernon Bellecourt, ... told the Washington Times that the Seminole tribal leaders shouldn't speak for the entire tribe because they were "hang-around the fort Indians," ...

I once heard a very wise man muse that, "Some of the biggest bigots I've met are the 'anti-bigot' bigots."

Quite.