SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...421/1006/NEWS01

While this article is for the ban, it points out so many other things that should be given time and attention re the NA 'plight' in America. I see UND's programs and services for NA's and know that we are far ahead off the rest of the country in addressing and actually doing something about those issues. Maybe we should change our name to the Fighting FOR the Sioux.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5081300448.html

"We feel like it gives the type of recognition that allows people to identify with the name 'Seminoles,' " Ken Chambers, the outgoing chief of the Great Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma, told the Palm Beach Post.

"Chambers doesn't know what he's talking about," David Narcomey, a member of the Oklahoma tribe's governing council,

From the Selma Times-Journal

NCAA ban needs revamp

The bottom line is that diversity and being sensitive is a good thing. I'm not going to dispute that. But at the same time, you can get carried away with things.

The NCAA made a blanket ruling without looking at all the factors.

From the Times and Democrat (South Carolina)

Mascot issue destined for court fights

The NCAA has set itself up for legal action by taking action to encourage college and universities to abandon "hostile" and "abusive" American Indian nicknames for their athletic teams.

The action is too little to force a change and enough to land the governing body of college athletics in court.

From the Daily News Online (Longview, WA):

Brouhaha over team mascots is overblown

Let's see. My father was half-Irish, half-Norwegian. Can somebody please dig a shallow grave for that freaky little Notre Dame leprechaun? He obviously serves no purpose, other than to prance around like a hyperactive third-grader and cheer on the most overrated college football program in the nation.

And what about "Ragnar," the official mascot of the Minnesota Vikings? The promotional photo on Ragnar's Web site (www.ragnartheviking.com) would lead everyone to believe that all of us with Norwegian ancestry wear horned headgear and elk fur, and grow big, bushy red beards during the football season.

And if you ask me, Ragnar looks like he drinks too much.

This article points out that the use of mascots and derogatory names is insulting. UND does not have a mascot nor is the name Sioux derogatory. The article also points out that people who are for the names do little or nothing for the American Indian. As stated ad nauseam, UND spends millions of dollars on American Indian programs and services.

From the Dan Wetzel link above:

This particular decision was handed down by the NCAA Executive Committee, which includes eight representatives from Division I-A schools. Of those eight schools, six have been found guilty of major NCAA infractions since 1989. Not the little stuff

FROM INDIAN COUNTRY: It is shameful that the mighty Osceola is portrayed as a mascot. He is represented with fakey ''war paint,'' which he never wore; on an Appaloosa horse, which he never rode; with a Plains Indian war lance, which he never used; acting the fool, which he never was; and performing for non-Indians - which he never, ever did.

FSU may well get its way. They've twisted arms and gained support from the Florida and Oklahoma Seminole governmental leaders, who now have the hard job of explaining to the Seminole people why their nationhood is to be diminished and their children to be raised as mascots.

Am I missing something here? IF the Seminole Indians from Fla don't mind the name and signed a statement saying that they like what FSU is doing with the nick name what is the heck is the big deal? Secondly, so who decides if the Fighting Sioux name is wrong for UND, surely not the NCAA? I say not to the the liberal White hand wringing College professors from the arts and sciences departments (that has nothing better to do than bad mouth their very school they recieve a good pay check from mind you, because they aren't producing any coherant research that anyone wants to read, if you don't approve of UND use of the name leave, why should we keep paying your worthless @$$) or Native American from our state. Hum...

And really this can't be the most pressing issue facing our Native American today or all Americans. If we change the names what the He!! are we going to moan about next? Enough is enough, I am sick and tired of having this leftist drivel shoved down our throats.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1

And really this can't be the most pressing issue facing our Native American today or all Americans. If we change the names what the He!! are we going to moan about next? Enough is enough, I am sick and tired of having this leftist drivel shoved down our throats.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If anything good can come out of this whole nickname issue, perhaps some important issue to the welfare of Indians can be brought out for public discussion. Like this idea from this Belcourt author in American Chronicles: Alcoholism, the Reservation, and the Government

Taking under consideration the current situation of the Turtle Mountain Reservation in northern North Dakota, the North Dakota state government should take a page from that of Nebraska and New Mexico. First, banish alcoholic establishments in a five mile radius from Indian Country (which would mean that the Turtle Mountain, Standing Rock, Fort Berthold, Spirit Lake, and Fort Traversie reservations would become dry. )

Hotzebue, one of the larger Native American communities in Alaska, outlawed the sale of alcohol recently and last year noted a forty percent decrease in assaults, sexual assaults, homicide, and suicide.” writes Roger Clawson, a journalist for the Billings Gazette. This goes to show that should a government take the initiative to control the situation and instill types of censure on alcohol, the alcoholism statistics will surely numb.

But then again, some UND BRIDGES prof is probably licking her chops at the prospect of obtaining funding for a study entitled: “The effect of the removal of the “UND Fighting Sioux” nickname on alcoholism rates on Sioux reservations.” :glare:

This might just be one of the all-time great convenient backstabs that the Forum, that great protector of 'public' interest, just loves to send UND's way: just roll over and get screwed. The Forum conveniently doesn't comment on the morality of the decision, nor does it find the NCAA's bureaucractic process or agenda (in view of other issues) distasteful, hypocritical, or politically correct.

[url="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=99909

• Downvote 1

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Collier: Are nicknames that relevant?

Still it was almost comical to see the NCAA thumping its chest over what it considers "hostile" and "abusive" Native American nicknames. Here's an organization with more than its share of hostile and abusive athletes, hostile and abusive coaches, hostile and abusive policies affecting both, hostile and abusive price-gouging tactics on ticket buyers, but -- what's that -- Central Michigan is the Chippewas? That's where we draw the line around here.

Your recent decision, dear NCAA, is high-handed, ignorant, insulting and intellectually sloppy. Please answer a few basic questions you neglected to address in your edict so that I can appeal it and, when the time comes, sue you.

That pretty-much sums 'er up. :glare:

PS - I feel sorry for Hank Brown having to clean up the Ward Churchill mess.

From www.fanblogs.com:

Arkansas State disputes NCAA mascot ruling

ASU President Dr. Les Wyatt described the NCAA as a surprising and as a "turnabout" from previous indications that body had given. He told the Jonesboro (AR) Sun that feedback he had received from ASU supporters ranged from 10-1 to 20-1 in favor of the Indians nickname.
From the Baxter Bulletin:

Ruling small victory for American Indians

Treating Native Americans like subhuman props in community sporting spectacles is not just politically incorrect. It's plain, dead-on wrong.

Thankfully, at least one powerful institution, the NCAA, has had the guts and moxie to say so.

From the The Herald Today:

T.K. scores TD with Seminoles' fight vs. NCAA

"I don't think we're over the edge," Wetherell said. "I think we're fighting for our school and if somebody gets offended by that, that's their problem. I'm hired to take care of Florida State University and protect them. So I haven't worried about the rest of (them) at all."
From the The Navasota Examiner & Grimes County Review:

What is it with the NCAA?

Nowhere in the Bill of Rights is anyone guaranteed the right not to be offended. If the name of a sports team offends the NCAA, why doesn't the NCAA just say it isn't going to accept any more money from those teams' schools?