SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Let's take a look at the Bismarck schools first. Bismarck Century loses 12 seniors including seven of their top eight scorers. For forwards the top two returning players include senior Alex Bortke (9g, 15a, 24pts), senior Calvin Patch (3g, 1a, 4 pts) and junior Drew Flurer (1g, 3a, 4pts). They have four returning defensemen led by senior Ian Emery (2g, 6a, 8pts). Both goalies return (Steve Farmsworth GAA 6.0/ save % 82.1 and Nick Dehne GAA 3.88/ save % 89.0. It looks as though it will be a major rebuilding year for Century. If there are 6-8 kids who are improving by skating and working out all summer then there might be some light in the tunnel by the end of the season but on paper Century will have a tough time with Minot and Williston and will have a major struggle in any games against top tier teams from the EDC. Century does not have any players in the Elite I League this fall and there were no players on the USA Hockey Select 87/88 team last spring.

At Bismarck High the picture is not quite so grim. They lost ten seniors including six of the top seven scorers from last season. At Forward they return senior Ross Monson (4g, 13a, 17pts), senior Justin Connell (8g, 7a, 15pts), junior Brent Job (4g, 8a, 12pts), and a couple of others. Clark Dingeman returns on defense (2g, 6a, 8pts) but he has also played forward. Senior Erik Reis (1g, 5a, 6pts) is a capable defenseman who is a leading midfielder on the soccer team. Connell and Dingeman are playing football while Ross Monson is the only Bismarck player on the Fall High School Elite I team (Great Plains). All three goalies return led by Michael Hillman (GAA 3.0/ 88.8%saves). The prospects for Bismarck High are better than those for Century but the Demons will also have a major rebuilding job. Monson, Connell, Dingeman, Hillman, and Reis have had some involvement, off and on, with the North Dakota USA Select program and they should be the most effective players on their team.

The current group of seniors and juniors at both Bismarck schools had major struggles as bantams and finished low in the standings. Without major improvement both teams will most likely find themselves at a competitive disadvantage against Minot and Williston and will have a tough time against the east.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both bismarck teams will be weak even in the west? I can see minot being the team to beat in the west again but Williston?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minot will have the most scoring punch Williston will have the best blueliners and the Bismarck schools will have the goaltending

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not exactly sure where fargo south comes into the topic about the west region teams, but i think a game consisting of the best players from the west region against Fargo South may be a great new topic you could talk about!

Williston should compete with Minot for that top spot now that Willert is gone. He as thier key offense, they still have some good players but him and Selk were alot of it like around 130 pts worth. Williston has one of the best dmen in the state in Tyler Jundt. Watch for this kid this season he is smart and is a decent sized kid.

I think that Williston will win the regular season title in the west this season.  I don't think that they'll win the West Region tournament, but they will be in Grand Forks again at the end of the year for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WWPKD to me with gas prices as high as they are, they might just make the winner of the east region tournament the state Champ as well. Reall not a bad idea, it will save the athletic departments some money.

mihulka is a decent hockey player (above average north dakota player) but he will not win mr hockey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but sometimes a player jumps up a notch, or emerges out of the woodwork, in their senior year. Charlie Bair did so and so did Justin Mauch from South a few years back. Go to the North Dakota High School Hockey site and check out the juniors (seniors this season) and you should have a good idea as to who the main candidates should be at forward and some defensemen. As I indicated earlier, a goalie could win the award as has happened in the past. Ultimately, it will be on ice performance this season that determines the outcome. Certainly, Erick Galt, Paul Weisgarber, Thomas Campbell, Paul Campbell, Marc Mihulka and several others could be tabbed as pre-season possibilities.

Does anyone know how the Elite I and II teams and players are doing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last weekend the Great Plains Elite I team beat the North team (Duluth area) 4-2 and then lost to two twin cities area teams (Southwest and Southeast). Rumor has it the twin cities teams are able to get together and practice because their players are not spread out. This weekend the Elite I was competitive but lost their first two games. It will probably take the team until mid-season to develop some good chemistry.