SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

I think it was a year or two ago that the high school thread was shut down because the quality of the posts began to sink. It is nice to have a place to discuss North Dakota high school hockey and I would encourage all participants to keep the discussion at a mature level.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if they beat every east team they played during the year including Central, Red River, and Grafton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep because as usual they didn't win when it counted. Typical of the west and I agree that the state tournament should go back to qualifying 1 West vs 8 East 2West vs 7 East and so on until we have the best 8 teams because I don't care about Hazen and Langdon's youth programs that are beating up on Watford City and Sidney Montana. Lets face it the West is still at least 10 years behind the East. When does anyone think we will see an all West hockey final. NEVER. Maybe we should move the state hockey tournament out their to. :D

Yep because as usual they didn't win when it counted. Typical of the west and I agree that the state tournament should go back to qualifying 1 West vs 8 East 2West vs 7 East and so on until we have the best 8 teams because I don't care about Hazen and Langdon's youth programs that are beating up on Watford City and Sidney Montana. Lets face it the West is still at least 10 years behind the East. When does anyone think we will see an all West hockey final. NEVER. Maybe we should move the state hockey tournament out their to. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm, does the Minot vs. Bismarck title game not count?

Like Iceberg mentioned I don't want to get into a flame fest that will get this thread shut down. Eastern Hockey is better than Western hockey hands down. I don't need to read it every three posts though...

Great post on the upcoming team out of Grafton ND Pride. I'll definately stay with my prediction of Grafton playing in the championship game at the end of this season. I try to make it to as many high school games in GF as I can, so hopefully I'll be able to see the Campbell's play together a lot next season before they head off to the junior hockey ranks.

Off of the Elite team website:

-Sean Diechert (Fargo)

-Jacob DeLisle (Grand Forks)

-Erik Galt (Fargo)

-Kris Graalum (Fargo)

-Andrew Peterson (Grafton-Park River)

-Andy Dittus (Minot)

-Nick Klenow (Fargo)

-Grant Larson (Fargo)

-Marc Milhulka (Grand Forks)

-J. Ross Monson (Bismarck)

-Paul Weisgarber (Fargo)

North-South is currently how the regions are set up in the pee wee and the bantam "A" levels of youth hockey. I would like to think that it is helping, yet you still see the Eastern teams predominantly finishing in the top of both leagues. The first year that they switched from East-West to North South I was in Bantams, and the team I played for finished second in the North Region and eventually second at the state tournament. Had we not played such great competition in our league that year (Grafton, Grand Forks South, Grand Forks North, twice each) I really don't think we would have faired as well at the state tournament.

It will help (the western schools) playing better competition, but with the exception of Grand Forks and maybe Grafton the best athletes in other North Dakota cities are not playing hockey. You have to do something to get the younger kids involved in hockey. Look at football. Grand Forks rarely beats the Fargo or Bismark schools. But in hockey it's the other way around.

In GF most kids (not all) grow up wanting to play hockey and they become rink rats.

Does anyone know who is on the elite 2 roster from nd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last year it was nearly all ND kids except for Jordy Christian and Foss of Moorhead high. I know that they are still looking to fill a spot or two. The Elite II is not affiliated at all with the Elite I league so it is harder to find information. I will try and get their current roster and post it for you. The Elite II draws mainly, but not exclusively, from the kids who made the North Dakota USA Hockey Select 16 (1989 birth year) team last spring and then the Select 17 (1988 birth year) team members who are not seniors. Generally speaking, the seniors to be who made it to the USA Hockey National Festival for North Dakota are automatic picks to Elite I (Weisgarber, Klenow, Monson).

It will help (the western schools)  playing better competition, but with the exception of Grand Forks and maybe Grafton the best athletes in other North Dakota cities are not playing hockey.  You have to do something to get the younger kids involved in hockey.  Look at football.  Grand Forks rarely beats the Fargo or Bismark schools.  But in hockey it's the other way around.

In GF most kids (not all) grow up wanting to play hockey and they become rink rats.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly - playing good competition is one part of the puzzle of development - that is why many eastern ND teams want to play as many Minnesota teams as they can. Often the best athletes in some communities are not playing hockey - but why? - my earlier post on the Grand Forks schools provides some persepective on that. A big part of it is UND and the culture of hockey that develops around a top line D-I program. Some of their graduates who played hockey stay and have families and their kids play - they help coach and the kids get a good experience. Many other cities simply do not have that culture and will never have it. It is a great challenge to develop an identification with hockey when basketball is the sport with tradition (or football - or whatever). It is also a little tough to be an outdoor rink rat in Dickinson - but take a look at their track teams - often outstanding. Culture is the key. Those who wish to develop strong youth programs need to be change agents in order to get their sport to develop. It is a tough job in some areas especially given the cost of hockey as a sport.

Generally speaking, the seniors to be who made it to the USA Hockey National Festival for North Dakota are automatic picks to Elite I (Wesigarber, Klenow, Monson).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMO the only player of those three that should have been put on the team without going to the tryout is Weisgarber.

IMO the only player of those three that should have been put on the team without going to the tryout is Weisgarber.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Minnesota has kids that are advanced to the team without tryouts so it would seem logical to have that channel for ND as well. In North Dakota, the kids who go to the Select Festivals take part in an all-state open tryout so, in that sense, they have already proven that they are the top players at the tryout. In addition, once on the Select team they compete within that team for spots at the national Festival. Essentially, they have already gone through two levels of competition to make the team. Additional tryouts within North Dakota would be redundant given the current structure and number of spots provided for North Dakota kids on the Elite I team. In fact, almost all of the North Dakota kids on the Elite I roster advanced without a tryout. Of note too, is the fact that all three of these players were on a very successfull Elite II team last year.

Here is a look at what Fargo South brings to the table, on paper, for the 05-06 season. Junior Sean Deichert returns and should be their top goalie. He participated in the USA Hockey Select 17 Festival in July and is one of the goalies on the Great Plains Elite I roster. He only played in 4 high school games last season and will have to prove himself. On defense Erick Galt returns after posting 34 points last season. He is a high energy defenseman who gets things done. Will be playing on the Elite I team this fall along with South forward Grant Larson. South returns their top five scorers from last season. South only lost two defensemen to graduation and returns five (Wurden, Metz-although Metz is apparently leaving to play with the Omaha AAA Energy, Olson, Jorgensen, and Spriggs) who had significant playing time. In addition, Trevor Anderson of West Fargo transfered to South as did Select 17 participant Kris Graalum, who came from Shanley. South should be able to craft a solid defense out of those eight d-men.

On offense South returns leading scorer Paul Weisgarber who is recovering from knee surgery but will be ready for the Fall Elite league. Paul is supported by Adam Campbell (34 pts), Grant Larson (27 pts), Josh Ramberg (20 pts) Ian Powers (19 pts), and Jake McDougall (10 pts).

Add the incoming bantams and South has a lot of resources. The key will be keeping injury free, team chemistry, and solid goal tending. On paper South should be the team to beat in North Dakota. Of course, the game is not played on paper and the team that puts the best run together in the Regional and State Tournaments will be the next state champs.

Are you doing most of the teams from the edc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#1siouxfan22 - I figured I would do the Grand Forks schools and then South and Grafton. I think I will put together a short summary of the remaining schools, maybe in one post.

One other thing, the Elite II roster is not yet set so it is not available. They are still working on filling a couple of positions. I know that Trevor Anderson of South, and Tyler Klein of North are on the team. It will be mostly ND kids I think.

Thank you, its a good summary try to do North, West fargo and Jamestown the rest dont really matter. I know there are probably going to be a couple south players on the elite 2 a couple grafton guys i know a Tyler Swanson from west fargo got an invite but he plays football.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right on that, other than those three teams there is not much else to look at. Elite II has lost several potential players as several 89 birthyears are going to Omaha to play for the AAA Energy team.

You are right on that, other than those three teams there is not much else to look at. Elite II has lost several potential players as several 89 birthyears are going to Omaha to play for the AAA Energy team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only one I had heard of was Parker Metz of South. Who are the others if you know?

Speaking of Williston, they'll have a decent hockey team this season. They return their top six scorers, and overall only lose 5 players off of last seasons squad. I know that they looked really horrible at last years state tournament, but they were a lot better team than what they showed. They won't be winning state championships or anything, but its good to see that hockey is starting to take off a little bit in Williston.

Williston will have a tough team this year and will maybe show up at state this year unlike last season. The player from Williston that might go to Omaha Energy isnt from what I hear. Who else is leaving that you know of?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How are they going to replace Bruce? That is the big question.